Feels like autumn.

DatMo

Hook the lines back up to the tank pull the gas cap off and blow air into the lines, you should hear the air bubbling in the tank if the lines are all good.

I did and that worked. I heard the bubbles. I ended up getting a new carter p4070 and a holly 12-804 with a speedhut gauge to top it off.

Thanks for the help!

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to go out on a limb and say your fuel pump is good, take the plugs out and crank on it until the fuel filter starts to fill, then put the plugs back in and fire it up. Don't crank on it for more than about a minute at a time, the starter will get too hot.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say your fuel pump is good, take the plugs out and crank on it until the fuel filter starts to fill, then put the plugs back in and fire it up. Don't crank on it for more than about a minute at a time, the starter will get too hot.

i tried this but I had cranked for a bit and then I got a pump I have to remove fluids from stuff. I ziptied a clear hose to the fuel line and pumped and then I saw fuel so it means that it was getting through the lines. I think the fuel pump used to work but no longer does?

Also where do you guys mount your carter pumps? Mine had arrived and I plan to do it tomorrow. Waiting on my block off plate and should be good to go. Gauge doesn't come till a few weeks but I think I'll be okay to idle

I mount them under the rear seat pan (outside the car). That way the tank gravity feeds it, and there's a nice little shelf there to keep it from getting bumped by anything.

I'll look into it. I was hoping to mount it into the engine bay because I thought they weren't gravy it fed.

We all are, why do you think we own datsuns.

This is the best god damn comment in this whole thread.

Well my plans got cancelled next week and I don't work so 4 days of straight datto to be completed. This Sunday I'll start but finishing the fuel issue. I'm not sure how to connect all the lines either with the fpr. There's two ins and two outs

No, The Holley 12-804 you said you bought has 1 in and 2 outs. I would try just plugging one of the outs.

It uses NPT everywhere so that is easy. Just buy some NPT to barbed end fittings, and connect some soft line. Then all you need to figure out is how to connect the soft line to the hardline (example could be like how the factory did it...)

Um also I was just thinking about your whole setup (Well I was thinking of my setup actually) and you havent stated anything about a fuel filter. Fuel pumps tend to like filters before the pump. Look into the carter fuel pump literature to see if it states anything about a fuel filter before it.

No, The Holley 12-804 you said you bought has 1 in and 2 outs. I would try just plugging one of the outs.

It uses NPT everywhere so that is easy. Just buy some NPT to barbed end fittings, and connect some soft line. Then all you need to figure out is how to connect the soft line to the hardline (example could be like how the factory did it...)

Um also I was just thinking about your whole setup (Well I was thinking of my setup actually) and you havent stated anything about a fuel filter. Fuel pumps tend to like filters before the pump. Look into the carter fuel pump literature to see if it states anything about a fuel filter before it.

thanks for thinking of me lol.

But yes, I actually have a filter before and after already in place currently and I'll run them on the new setup as well.

Should be able to put it anywhere between the pump and carb. Im not sure how your FPR works, but I would think a gauge would be needed to set the proper PSI. And gauges usually work better in the engine bay.

i was gonna run my gauge to my dash? I figured it'd be better there and it was the speedhut one that came with the original kit I had purchased. I also need too look on how to adjust it. I think I see the thing to do so on top

They will work there. I just like my shit hidden. ^_^

After reading so much about it, it seems like the carter fuel pump should be mounted in the rear by the tank because it'll burn out in the engine bay if it's a pull on the gas. I want someone with experience of having them in the engine bay just to see if they've had problems with it.

My custom dash is coming along nicely >:) I decided it would be better because I was missing so many stock things and etc but of course I'll keep my stock for those days I feel original. Also gonna get back to the fuel pump and etc tomorrow but I wanted a break from mechanical work and enjoy my second favorite part of my car, the interiors

After reading so much about it, it seems like the carter fuel pump should be mounted in the rear by the tank because it'll burn out in the engine bay if it's a pull on the gas. I want someone with experience of having them in the engine bay just to see if they've had problems with it.

Why tempt fate? 

FWIW, I've seen a few guys run them in the engine bay. Never for very long. 

Why tempt fate?

FWIW, I've seen a few guys run them in the engine bay. Never for very long.

True. Ima place it on tomorrow. I spent the day helping my brother on his Datsun and doin a dash piece.