Feels like autumn.

DatMo

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I was gonna do the timing. Then my friend came from Texas and I'd rather see him. lol I went to Home Depot and got all the shit for my speaker box cut but I haven't had time to really construct it. My battery was fucked but the new one came so hopefully after my rest this week, I'll do timing and finish up some small wiring shit. Time is so valuable dammit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

FUCK this car. I got my carbs rebuilt and it idles but I can't drive it because my brakes are still being dumb. I got a new master cylinder that's 7/8 and bench bled it then there turned out to be a leak in my rear wheel cylinder. Fixed that but still ain't working properly. I'm thinking it's the brake fluid sender that's in the engine bay maybe? Not sure at this point.

That "brake fluid sender" is really just a distribution box/block for the front brakes.  It has the pressure sensor in it.  Thats all.  If it looses pressure it opens/closes a circuit, and turns the e-brake light on in the dash.  Will not interfere with the fluid movement at all.  Unless its loose, and your loosing pressure at the threads.

Always bleed brakes with a competent person, and always start at the master.

What are your symptoms?

That's weird, how are you bleeding the brakes themselves?

So I bench bled the master with tubes inside coming the resivors from the nipples until there was not the slightest bubble.

As far as the actual cylinders and calipers, I've bled them with a clear tube into a full bottle of brake fluid and pressed brakes until there was not a single air bubble.

I started from back passenger towards from in the order of furthest to closest.

My symptoms seem to be that the brake isn't going all the way down such as when there's absolutely no pressure during bleeding but it's going down until somewhat of a wall but with absolutely no pressure. I'm not quiet sure how to explain. Also, the pedal gains pressure if you press it repeatedly but then loses all pressure within a quick 5 seconds of no braking.

• 3 weeks later...

If it build pressure then there is air in it some where. What kind of shape are you rubber lines in?

The rear doesnt have any because its to the wheel cylinders and the fronts are brand new with steel braided.

Also, Chuck from left coast datsun us coming over sunday to finish it up :)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I got the brakes going.

I do have a question. As far as the rear drum covers, my wheels are spinning but one of them is a little bit of a push by hand but when I have a wheel on or with a screwdriver, it spins easy. It's somewhat the issue that when I pull that drum cover off, it pulls on the pads a little bit I can still get the cover off fairly easy.

I'm scared that it could heat the brakes up too quick as well? I got them grinded down all the way from Oreileys but this one side is still not as thin as the other?

Also, car is getting dropped off on wed morning at left coast Datsun to get the timing and carbs set straight.

Thanks!

That drum that is dragging is just set a little too tight, back the adjuster off a couple of clicks and see how it feels.

Issue with that is the adjuster is all clicked all the way in :/ it's partially because they're both new drums and new pads so it's thicker than most. I'm thinking to just ask if they can shave 1/16th off the drum but they already shaved it to the minimum and i don't want skeptical brakes.

New drums does not equal shaved to the minimum. If they are shaved as much as possible, they are as thin as they can be, which is the exact opposite of them being new, when they are thickest.

And you would be better off sanding down your shoes than shaving the drums.

Um... I thought this was solved... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/70075-510-rear-drums-too-tight

And slight drag is ok. You adjust to lock up, then back off.

Stop buying part store parts until you know what brand the item actually is. Who actually makes O'Rielly's brake shoes/drums?

Also take a picture of how your shoes are installed. We have no idea what you are actually doing.

Um... I thought this was solved... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/70075-510-rear-drums-too-tight

And slight drag is ok. You adjust to lock up, then back off.

Stop buying part store parts until you know what brand the item actually is. Who actually makes O'Rielly's brake shoes/drums?

Also take a picture of how your shoes are installed. We have no idea what you are actually doing.

Was solved until I had one side drag shoes to the point I needed a crowbar to take off the damn cover. It slid on easily so I never figured I'd had an issue at the time.

As far as parts, that is true but I've had Oreileys shoes and drums in my last few datsuns with absolutely no issues and they also perform just fine in my sti. As far as my front brakes which composes most of the braking power, I almost always go with stoptech or hawk hps. This is/was my first issue.

I ended up shaving down the shoes just a bit with some 800 grit until they were smooth enough to fit the cover. I then sanded down with 1000 to smooth them up and all is good. I got the drum measured with an electrical measuring tool which I'm not sure what it's called and they're both just about the same.

Thanks for the help. Was skeptical about sanding down my shoes but I guess plenty of people do it.

New drums does not equal shaved to the minimum. If they are shaved as much as possible, they are as thin as they can be, which is the exact opposite of them being new, when they are thickest.

And you would be better off sanding down your shoes than shaving the drums.

This is very true which is why I ended up resorting to shaving down the pads just a bit. Thanks for the input.

How tight is tight,. If you can turn it with the wheel on without much effort then it will be fine, but make the other side match so it will brake evenly.

Unfortauntely one side was not even turning with the wheel being on so as stated, I went with sanding the shoes and I did make sure to evenly adjust the adjusters to make sure they brake evenly. Thanks for the help man ! :)

Random pics.

Figured I'd clean my ssr's. here's my bay and inside at night.

I'll be driving this month! I'm so happy with it.

IMG_5486_zpskylvap5f.jpg

IMG_5455_zpscr0pfa51.jpg

IMG_5451_zpsfrlu5zi1.jpg

532E7768-F44F-4C73-9080-9311DB0CD1E8_zps

I've also been considering getting these seats because I LOVE the look but it's an issue because they're some eBay shit that I haven't heard of and I don't want shit quality seats. They're eBay ones from ikon motorsports. Here's what they're like. Lemme know if anyone knows what they're like.

BECB1356-B932-47C0-A5A1-65907F5483F8_zps