Please set me straight.

I would like to see where Wiki is wrong? I googled-Bing each incident cited by wiki and each event happened as listed. Articles had more details but Wiki wasn’t incorrect.

I’ll have a look at the wiki article today.

The issue is what defines a “mass shooting” or “mass casualty event”.

I posted previously; since the buyback of 1996 in Aus I can only recall a couple of shootings which were predominately between OMCG members and IIRC the highest number of fatalities was three persons; hardly a mass casualty event.

I’m happy to stand corrected.

• Replies 28k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

• Draker

• a.d._510_n_ok

Top Posters In This Topic

But you haven't posted any fact at all RW, just criticized Mattndew for using it. 

If you go back and reread my post to Mattndew Mike you’ll notice two little things at the end of each sentence, they are called question marks in case you don’t know.

I offered no criticism of Mattndew, I posed two questions which he was kind enough to answer.

I’ll deconstruct the Wiki article today (if I get time) and then give a learned response.

If I am proven to be incorrect, I’ll wear it.

Ok. So a quick read of the Wiki article shows it is misleading (I’ll continue to deconstruct it and post more later).

As a rule (I am trying to find a definitive statement that confirms this) mass casualty events (remember we are talking in the context of shootings here and not attacks such as arson, blunt force trauma and vehicle borne) are where 5 or > “civilians” are killed.

Only one incident comes close to meeting the “mass casualty criteria” post the 1996 buyback, this being the incident in 2014 where the shooter committed suicide (total of 5 persons deceased including the shooter). This incident involved familicide I.e. the shooter targeted members of his own family and did not engage with “members of the public” and as in the vast majority of cases in Murica, did not go out to target innocent civilians in the wider community, rather only their own family group.

As the shooter in the 2014 incident committed suicide I would argue that the deaths (4) fall below the threshold of a “Australian mass casualty shooting event”.

Subsequently, and pending my confirmation that a mass casualty shooting event in Australia involves the death of five or more civilians (I am going to be a pedant here and say if the shooter kills themselves they don’t count in the death total which defines a mass casualty event) I stand by my previous assertions that there have been no mass casualty shooting events in Australia since the 1996 firearms buyback.

• Like 1

2 major airlines, auto rental companies and others are feeling the pinch and pulled out of supporting NRA with discounts.

Those companies will call you out as a danger to society if you support a rifle association?

Want the not real murican definition , there not hero's , but some pretty smart trolling and monkey wrenching of shit legislation

• Like 1

Yes. But what can we credit for this lack of shootings. If only we knew...

^^^^^ This is a good question.

IMlTHO I put it down to four things.

1. The stated belief by many Muricans that their 2nd amendment rights are inalienable;

2. The sheer volume of firearms (regardless of the type) in the possession of its citizens;

3. The generational belief (2nd amendment anyone?) that firearms are required in Murican society; and

4. The number of citizens in the U.S.A.

I’ve alluded to this before, sadly I believe Murica is too far down the path of points 1-4 to ever see a “significant” reversal/reduction in firearms related events.

RW, is there a reason we are referring to "mass casualty" events as "mass shootings" in Australia? Couldn't 5 accidental deaths from bad vegemite in a sanger shop be considered a mass casualty event?

Insert sighing noise here.

Paradime, pay attention please.

Go back to post 26679. We are talking in the context of shootings, not death by Fucktardery.

Besides, no one (except for possibly a Murican) ever died from eating a vegimite sandwich.

Go back to post 26679. We are talking in the context of shootings, not death by Fucktardery.

Besides, no one (except for possibly a Murican) ever died from eating a vegimite sandwich.

Sandwiches are safe it seems. But...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/11792977/Australia-proposes-limiting-Vegemite-sales-to-prevent-alcohol-abuse.html

• Like 1

This is a topic of much concern.

Happy to continue the discussion on this in Cuz Straya.

• Like 3

Ok. So a quick read of the Wiki article shows it is misleading (I’ll continue to deconstruct it and post more later).

As a rule (I am trying to find a definitive statement that confirms this) mass casualty events (remember we are talking in the context of shootings here and not attacks such as arson, blunt force trauma and vehicle borne) are where 5 or > “civilians” are killed.

Only one incident comes close to meeting the “mass casualty criteria” post the 1996 buyback, this being the incident in 2014 where the shooter committed suicide (total of 5 persons deceased including the shooter). This incident involved familicide I.e. the shooter targeted members of his own family and did not engage with “members of the public” and as in the vast majority of cases in Murica, did not go out to target innocent civilians in the wider community, rather only their own family group.

As the shooter in the 2014 incident committed suicide I would argue that the deaths (4) fall below the threshold of a “Australian mass casualty shooting event”.

Subsequently, and pending my confirmation that a mass casualty shooting event in Australia involves the death of five or more civilians (I am going to be a pedant here and say if the shooter kills themselves they don’t count in the death total which defines a mass casualty event) I stand by my previous assertions that there have been no mass casualty shooting events in Australia since the 1996 firearms buyback.

Seriously RW, Not fucktarding anybody bro, or trying to rase anyone's dander. Just curios why the term "mass casualty event" is used in Australia rather than mass shooting. Using Vegemite and sanger shop was a misguided attempt to show some cultural awareness, but in NO way meant as an insult. Sorry you took it that way. Please note I didn't say Vegemite was bad, only that IF it had gone bad and people died from that.

Just curios why the term "mass casualty event" is used in Australia rather than mass shooting.

Because we speak and write funny that’s why!

Really, it’s predominantly since mass casualty will apply to multiple types of events whereby something other than a firearm has been used by the perpetrator.

And btw, < zero offence taken about any other comments you’ve made.

I’m just trying to remain (as much as my poor tortured brain can at times) on context and keeping the discussions around shootings and guns in Murica, the original catalyst for this thread 26695 posts ago.

Did it?

Sure about your facts.?

If you go back and reread my post to Mattndew Mike you’ll notice two little things at the end of each sentence, they are called question marks in case you don’t know.

I offered no criticism of Mattndew, I posed two questions which he was kind enough to answer.

Nice back pedal. You question his source...

Wikipedia is, and remains one of the most inaccurate sources of open source information on the planet.

Anyone can post information, and misinformation on wikipedia.

I’ll deconstruct the Wiki article today (if I get time) and then give a learned response.

If I am proven to be incorrect, I’ll wear it.

Don't bother as you believe it's already wrong and you're right.

Im right, Wikipedia is wrong !!!!

Nice back pedal. You question his source...

Don't bother as you believe it's already wrong and you're right.

Cmon mike, I’ll help you out here as it seems you haven’t really bothered to read my reply’s in detail; and just decided to troll me for your own amusement.

(Statement from mike) “gosh RW, looks like you were right in your assertions”.

(Answer from RW). “Thanks for your considered response and agreement I was right mike”.

• Like 1