Datsunaholic look what I got!!

why was it necessary to cut into 3 pieces? i though it was cut the center out and reconnect? (is it due to the 'cheater' style?)

I tried! It lined up like shit so I cut it into 3 pieces :D I could have spent even more time and redone the 2 rear runners..... you have to know when to stop though :D I will get new pics when I sand off all the useless brackets :D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a theory that the L28 fuel injection will work on that.

The injectors are a single batch firing. So if only 4 are hooked up, its ok. The AFM reads the actual amount of air drawn in (which is the primary meter on how much fuel to put in)

The L28 factory fuel rail can be cut and re-connected with fuel hose and hose clamps.

Use EI distributor. done deal?

2eDeYe;79209'']Now I see what that 'extra-curricular activity' was that you were talking about :D

Gotta love EI :D

Very creative jeff :cool:

I stole the idea from Datsunaholic, he had a modded mani that he wouldn't sell me so I decided to try and build my own :D

I have a theory that the L28 fuel injection will work on that.

The injectors are a single batch firing. So if only 4 are hooked up, its ok. The AFM reads the actual amount of air drawn in (which is the primary meter on how much fuel to put in)

The L28 factory fuel rail can be cut and re-connected with fuel hose and hose clamps.

Use EI distributor. done deal?

I was thinking KA management, the maf or load sensor would determine I think a close enough fuel mixture.. If not a SAFC wouldn't be to bad. The old EFI is just to barbaric to me :D

Dammit jeff! Thats awesome! Been wanting to do one like that for as long as I've been into 510s... Why you gotta do that? Now I want one even more... Good work bro.

ok thats enough about that, im totally jealous.. i would like 2 buy 1 of those jeff.. how much??

I'm impressed. Sell me your skills?

When Byron made his EFI manifold people balked at his price of $350. There is almost no market for L series EFI manifolds. The manifold is only the very beginning. I had about $2k in my L series EFI setup. It could be done for less, but not a lot less than $1k if using a standalone EMS. If one was able to make a factory system off of another engine work, that would of course change things a little.

Byron's manifold looks like a dual sidedraft manifold with fuel injector bosses. It is not a plenum style manifold.

All of that to say, L series EFI is nice on paper, but few guys will actually shell out the coin when it comes time to spending the money and piecing it together.

I am pretty dead set on doing another EFI L series... And I know it will not be cheap.. For me, cheap isn't the point. The point is to out run the Iceman's SR with an L motor :fu:

http://forum.ratsun.net/showpost.php?p=31324&postcount=15

Did yours line up kinda like this one? I never thought to cut the rear runners off the plenum... I'll have to dig my crap out and give it a shot... Do you have anymore pictures Jeff?

All I'm lacking parts wise for my ghetto efi setup is the ECU, and the MAF.

Nice work!

When Byron made his EFI manifold people balked at his price of $350. There is almost no market for L series EFI manifolds. The manifold is only the very beginning. I had about $2k in my L series EFI setup. It could be done for less, but not a lot less than $1k if using a standalone EMS. If one was able to make a factory system off of another engine work, that would of course change things a little.

Byron's manifold looks like a dual sidedraft manifold with fuel injector bosses. It is not a plenum style manifold.

All of that to say, L series EFI is nice on paper, but few guys will actually shell out the coin when it comes time to spending the money and piecing it together.

I am pretty dead set on doing another EFI L series... And I know it will not be cheap.. For me, cheap isn't the point. The point is to out run the Iceman's SR with an L motor :fu:

Yeah and the knoledge it takes just to make it happen... fewww just thinking about it makes me tired!

ya, KA injection is a far better computer.

For other people, they may be able to find a free L28 wiring setup.

I got all the KA EFI for free for my 620 :D single cam stuff aint worth all that much, actually at Golden Gardens we got a free single cam ECU!!

http://forum.ratsun.net/showpost.php?p=31324&postcount=15

Did yours line up kinda like this one? I never thought to cut the rear runners off the plenum... I'll have to dig my crap out and give it a shot... Do you have anymore pictures Jeff?

All I'm lacking parts wise for my ghetto efi setup is the ECU, and the MAF.

Nice work!

Yep exactly!! What did you do to fix it? any pics? I actually fucked mine up trying to fix one for the runners :( My welder buddy says to scrap the idea and build one from scratch. From his experience cast just doesn't last. He says over time it will crack :( I don't know what I'm going to do... Its an L series, its not like building a custom mani has any point.. What to do what to do.

dang i was on my way to make one here soon, i got 4 mani's laying around begging to be cut up, and tiltnose is sending me a full ka harness, ecu and dizzy for my truck. plus my bro bought a miller tig machine, so its gonna be easy for me to do!!!! should start building these things. 75 per mani!

dang i was on my way to make one here soon, i got 4 mani's laying around begging to be cut up, and tiltnose is sending me a full ka harness, ecu and dizzy for my truck. plus my bro bought a miller tig machine, so its gonna be easy for me to do!!!! should start building these things. 75 per mani!

thats a reasonable deal.. even if it took me years to aquire all the stuff i'd need.. it'd still be worth it..

but ya know it'd prolly be easier and better if u made them from scratch

It would be a lot easier if the mani actually ran inline with the head instead of sloping. The eng tilts back, the mani wants to be level.

Without having it here to look at closely, I'd probably cut the front runners too so that some of the tilt could be absorbed by both the front and rear runners.

I never did finish mine. You've inspired me to break it back out and venture on though. I got an old crappy U67 head and drilled/tapped the center holes for the efi manifold to bolt to, that way I get a nice jig. My theory is to slit the top of one side of the runners, and the bottom side of the other side, and hopefully I can use a couple boards, or steel plates and some clamps to pull the gap closed without breaking the runners... The gap is close enough, I think it could work.

I need a Ka24e ecu :(

Jeff,

It's finished. Look at the 5th picture down. L-series EFI turbo, all home-made/hand-made/Ratsun style.

Damn. That looks good dude. What did you do to the motor? I like the intake to intercooler.

Gotta love EFI :D

I was thinking KA management, the maf or load sensor would determine I think a close enough fuel mixture.. If not a SAFC wouldn't be to bad. The old EFI is just to barbaric to me :D

Let's see, gotta love EFI, just not old barbaric EFI? Kinda same why guys like younger women....not so barbaric. :lol:

damn! that almost sounds like teh Bosch CIS system on VWs, Mercedes, EARLY BMW, early Volvos and some Saabs. i wonder how hard something like that would be to rig onto an L series......:confused::confused:

can anyone answer this.. if i had a full ka fi setup.. i mean everything.. plus a l20b FI manifold.. would i be able to make my l-series FI.. ofcourse i'd prolly have to do some ecu tweakin.. or use some kind of aftermarket piggy back of some sort.. but.. is it possible?? it seems much more likely to get a fi setup off a more modern an "fi friendly" vehicle.. ka's come in lots of stuff so it would be easy to aquire the parts needed..

cmon now...cool factor has to mean something to you still... I think maintaining and modifying outdated shit is one of the things that makes us datto folk unique..:cool:

Yeah I'm still going to do it, I just want to build a classy one :D I don't really like how the stocker turned out.... Just kinda weak you know.

It would be a lot easier if the mani actually ran inline with the head instead of sloping. The eng tilts back, the mani wants to be level.

Without having it here to look at closely, I'd probably cut the front runners too so that some of the tilt could be absorbed by both the front and rear runners.

Yeah it has some weird angles going on. The hardest part for me was trying to weld the runners back together. If the runners weren't so close it wouldn't be such a problem.. Well that and cast welds way shittier than 6061, I love weldable aluminum HHHMMM such a clean bead :D

The turbo toms manifolds I have seen online make it look pretty easy to just build one from scratch.

I like the one that Rob posted!!

I never did finish mine. You've inspired me to break it back out and venture on though. I got an old crappy U67 head and drilled/tapped the center holes for the efi manifold to bolt to, that way I get a nice jig. My theory is to slit the top of one side of the runners, and the bottom side of the other side, and hopefully I can use a couple boards, or steel plates and some clamps to pull the gap closed without breaking the runners... The gap is close enough, I think it could work.

I need a Ka24e ecu :(

KA ECU's are easy to find, now welding the tight runner area is another story :D One of use needs to get the KA setup going, just to see how it does, shit we could even use the SR ECU if we wanted, both KA and SR have to triggers in the dizzy so the KA one could be wired to work since the KA dizzy is a much closer fit than the SR CAS... I'll stop there :D

Jeff,

It's finished. Look at the 5th picture down. L-series EFI turbo, all home-made/hand-made/Ratsun style.

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2008/09/10/event-gt-gt-langley-good-times-cruise-pt-2.aspx

DUDE!!! That shit is bad ass! Do you happen to have any closer pics? Gotta steel some of your design work :D Do you have any more details on the car?

Damn. That looks good dude. What did you do to the motor? I like the intake to intercooler.

Rob gets involved in tons of bad ass projects!!! I think is due to his wiring skills :D

Let's see, gotta love EFI, just not old barbaric EFI? Kinda same why guys like younger women....not so barbaric. :lol:

haha You old guys and the young ladies :D hehe

damn! that almost sounds like teh Bosch CIS system on VWs, Mercedes, EARLY BMW, early Volvos and some Saabs. i wonder how hard something like that would be to rig onto an L series......:confused::confused:

Yeah but the 16 bit KA ECU would be nice :D MS would be nicer but I don't even want to think of that at the moment :(

can anyone answer this.. if i had a full ka fi setup.. i mean everything.. plus a l20b FI manifold.. would i be able to make my l-series FI.. ofcourse i'd prolly have to do some ecu tweakin.. or use some kind of aftermarket piggy back of some sort.. but.. is it possible?? it seems much more likely to get a fi setup off a more modern an "fi friendly" vehicle.. ka's come in lots of stuff so it would be easy to aquire the parts needed..

It would work, way back when I had the CA in the rusty car a buddy of mine had a KA ECU on his L series with a RB turbo :D He said NA it ran good the turbo was really throwing it off, he sold the car before it was finished or before I could go for a ride :( You can do it :D