What are you listening to???

Oh man to be 20 again with my '70 Dart. The smell of smoke cleaning the tires off. The Z28 guy is so excited with all his talk he jumps the gun while I wait. On the second start he misses second but I want to race. We again go through the restart ritual. Go! Hold it, wait till the tires hook up and floor it through the remains of first. Got him off the start and all three power shifts I pull ahead half a car length each.  "That car ain't stock" he yells later and I smile. I know why he's pissed because his buddy had told me he had work done on his engine. Consistency for the win.

• Like 3
  • Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, paradime said:

OK yes, I went a little overboard making this playlist, but here are a few songs you can add to yours. If you want songs about Chevys, you'll have to look uo Little Red Corvette yourself. LOL  

Carl Sonny Leyland - Beat up ford, The Swamp Shakers - Hot Rod Rocket, Chuck Berry - Maybellene, Hot Rod Lincoln, Leon Smith - Little Forty Ford, Eddie Cochran - Something, Else and Summertime Blues,  Marvin Jackson - 56 V8 Ford, Europe - Danger On The Track, Dick Dale - Hot Rod Racer, Hayden Thompson - Fairlane Rock, Jerry Lee Lewis - Crown Victoria Custom '51, Rusty Draper - Pink Cadillac, Jaguars - Feeling, The Shangri-Las -Leader Of The Pack, Speed Racer theme song, Jimmy Dolan - Hot Rod Race, Brian Setzer - Gotta Have The Rumble and Peroxide Blonde in a Hopped Up Model Ford, The Ripcords - Hey Little Cobra, Golden Earring - Radar Love, Deep Purple - Highway Star, B Boys - 409 and Shut Down, Eddie & The Flatheads - Flat Head Ford,  Jan & Dean - Little Old Lady From Pasadena and Dead Man's Curve, Alabama – Five O’Clock 500, War - Low Rider, Foghat - Slow Ride, Rufus Thomas - Rocket 88, Wilson Pickett - Mustang Sally, Johny Cash - General Lee and One Piece at a Time, John Hiatt - Thunderbird, Stepnwolf - Born To Be Wild, George Thorogood & The Destroyers - Ride On Josephine, Springsteen - Racing in the streets,  Primus - Jerry Was a Race Car Driver, George Harrison – Faster, Mark Knopfler – Speedway at Nazareth and The Car Was the One, The Charlie Daniels Band – The Intimidator, John Whiteleather & The King Rats - Cadillac Attack, Hawkshaw Hawkins - Car Hoppin' Mama, Sorry, but I had to close it out with Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod. 

Awesome paradime, some of these I have heard but not for a long while, the others I've yet to experience. When I was in high school a Vancouver band got a lot of airplay, this song of theirs is a good car song.

On 4/24/2024 at 3:37 PM, paradime said:

These kids sounds like Yes and Zeppelin had a butt baby.

not a big Greta van feet fan ,, it’s alright but I dunno . . 

For the record , I do prefer scratchy /screaming lyrics like they have , just haven’t connected with any songs. 

I guess that’s the  Siskel and Ebert version . 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Ranman72 said:

Funny story, up until not too long ago I thought the band members of War were Mexicans, because of the song Lowrider. Since it was Mexicans who started the Lowrider culture. Also on the song "Cisco Kid" there seems to be someone talking Spanish in the background. But just now that I paid closer attention to what the guy in the background was saying. It's mostly gibberish. It sounds like spanish but there's only a couple actual spanish words in all that.

Been a while since I heard "On The Road Again", Great song. Reminds me of "Green Onions" by Booker T & The M.G.'s .

Edited by IZRL
  • Like 3

I'm gonna throw a female vocalist into the mix as well. I just heard this band performance recently. This is the band "Jinjer" performing at the Wacken metal festival in Germany. Crazy how big the guitar sound is with only one guitarist in the band. Girl has decent vocals.

Edited by IZRL
  • Like 2

Here's some music most folks will never come across. This is some of the music I grew up listening to. All these bands fall under the "Spanish Rock" umbrella believe it or not. There is so much variety in this genre its unreal. I'm not sure if there are any spanish speakers here, but I figure music is music whether you understand the lyrics or not.

"Entre Canibales( Between Cannibals)" by the band "Soda Stereo" from Argentina.

"EL Esqueleto (The Skeleton)", By the Band "Victimas Del Doctor Cerebro" from Mexico.

"Mama(Mom)" By the band "Los Amantes De Lola" from Mexico.

"La Selva Negra(The Black Jungle)" By the band "Mana" from Mexico.

"Solin" By the Band "Maldita Vecindad" from Mexico.

"Avalancha "Avalanche" by the Band "Los Hereos Del Silencia" from Spain.

"Poli Love" by the band "Zoe" from Mexico.

"Pensando En Ti(Thinking of You)" By the Band "Mago De Oz" from Spain. This song is a spin off of "Dust in the Wind", but with different lyrics.

"Afuera(Outside)" by the Band "Caifanes" from Mexico.

Edited by IZRL
  • Like 2

Gracias IZRL, me gusta que nos lleves a la escuela al estilo español. La escena de Ska Mexicana está de moda, y Dust In The Wind en español fue un buen toque. I'll admit, my Spanish grammar sucks. I had to use Google for this so I didn't slaughter it like the disléxica gringo that I am.  

Edited by paradime
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tokyo Ska scene.

German Ska

Russian Ska

African Ska

French Ska

Danish Ska

Yiddish Ska

Finnish Ska

English Ska to Cairo

Egyptian Ska

Edited by paradime
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, paradime said:

Gracias IZRL, me gusta que nos lleves a la escuela al estilo español. La escena de Ska Mexicana está de moda, y Dust In The Wind en español fue un buen toque. I'll admit, my Spanish grammar sucks. I had to use Google for this so I didn't slaughter it like the disléxica gringo that I am.  

My first language was Spanish. But I've been in the US forever and a half. So I speak Spanish, but writing it is a whole nother story. I'm ok at but I haven't had to use it much over the years, so I know what you mean. 

I got to see the two Ska bands I posted above, live (Maldita Vecindad and Victimas Del Doctor Cerebro). They put on a show! I also got to see "Caifanes" and "Mana" live. "Soda Stereo" was one of my top bucket list bands but they split up before I was able to see them. The vocalist passed in 2014 so no chance of there being a reunion.

Edited by IZRL
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, paradime said:

La escena de Ska Mexicana está de moda

I had no idea 👌.

Damn! This song is getting downloaded and placed in my music collection. This is the concert live version of the Japanese song "Skaravan" you posted above. What a performance, great song. 

• Like 2

The above Japanese band reminded me of this Argentinian. I had a ticket to see them in Mexico in like 2010, but I got the worse flu I ever had the day before the show. They're still touring so might get to see them yet. 

"Matador", by the band "Los Fabulosos Cadillac" from Argentina.

Here's another Ska band I got to see live in Phoenix Az. They are by far the best live performance I've seen!

"La Dosis Perfecta(The Perfect Dose)" by the Band "Panteon Rococo" from Mexico.

Edited by IZRL
  • Like 2