JDM vs. American Muscle

Well guys,

I was raised around Muscle Cars in the Family,the Surfer Van's and Mini-Trucks,and the long lost local Drag Strips here in So Cal growing up in the 70's and 80's and owned 2 very clean 69' Camaro's back in the early 90's when you could buy a clean one for about $3,000. If I still owned them today in the condition they were in then,now they are worth about $17,000 each on the average! Besides my 86' ZX Turbo I've had since new,I used to restore Z-cars also. And now the recent purchase of my 73' 620, I gotta tell ya', I have more fun with the Datsun's than when I used to work on My Family's Muscle Cars and the Muscle Cars I've owned!!!!!!!:D:cool:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I've turned into some what of a japanese nostalgic hero lately. Although I consider myself a 80s hero :D

I keep going backwards as I cant find a new car I want. I was thinking about buying a evo 9 mr, but I just really dont want awd. Too bad I hate convertables otherwise a miata or a s2k would be fun.

This 240z I bought is definately requiring some major body work, but I just dont care now.

Something that I really love about the Datsuns is the parts interchange. It is very much like the GM cars of the 60's and 70's. A guy can put together a very cool Datsun for less than the price of entry on a basket case chevelle or classic american truck.

yeah I've turned into some what of a japanese nostalgic hero lately. Although I consider myself a 80s hero :D

I keep going backwards as I cant find a new car I want. I was thinking about buying a evo 9 mr, but I just really dont want awd. Too bad I hate convertables otherwise a miata or a s2k would be fun.

This 240z I bought is definately requiring some major body work, but I just dont care now.

right on...I can't fathom the idea of going out and spending $40k or more for a car either. I came close to buying a 350Z,but it just didn't have the same appeal to me like my 86' Z31 Turbo. My Z new in 86' was $24K,a new one well equipped is close to $40K! YUK!:eek: For $40K,I can have a fleet of Old Datsun Variety!:D

Something that I really love about the Datsuns is the parts interchange. It is very much like the GM cars of the 60's and 70's. A guy can put together a very cool Datsun for less than the price of entry on a basket case chevelle or classic american truck.[/quote

ROGER THAT!!!!

I gave up a really nice 70 chevy truck to buy my first 240Z, I've had many old american cars, The list is to long to post. One thing I can tell you is I've had more fun the last 10 years with datsuns than I ever did with the old muscle cars, Muscle cars are only good for looking at or cruse night's. With my 240 I can take it on a track and kick some ass. Plus when you go to a classic import show the young asian chicks are really fun to look at, Go to a cruse night and it's just a bunch of old ass fat women to look at. what fun is that?

I gave up a really nice 70 chevy truck to buy my first 240Z, I've had many old american cars, The list is to long to post. One thing I can tell you is I've had more fun the last 10 years with datsuns than I ever did with the old muscle cars, Muscle cars are only good for looking at or cruse night's. With my 240 I can take it on a track and kick some ass. Plus when you go to a classic import show the young asian chicks are really fun to look at, Go to a cruse night and it's just a bunch of old ass fat women to look at. what fun is that?

:lol:Yeah!,I used to have a License Plate frame on one of my old slammed Z's that said "NO FAT CHICK'S OR MY 'Z' WILL SCRAPE!":lol:

I was really in to the first generation Novas (Chevy II) for several years. I must have owned about 8 of them before it was all said and done. I had a VIN correct '64 283, 4 speed, bucket seat, "console", posi Super Sport. It was fun to drive. People always liked checking it out and that sort of thing. It was ok. My last 510 was a lot more fun to drive. A LOT more fun to build. They don't cost as much to build, own, etc.

If you aren't a total miser when it comes to putting together a Datsun, you can really have a great little rig. Lately I've been thinking about getting a '70 Chevelle. I love them. There are several for sale around here. A decent 4 speed non-SS car is about $15k plus or minus a few bucks.

For that same $15k, I'll have my 521 complete, including high quality paint. I'll also have something no one else has. I think it will be a ton more fun to drive. It is all cheap when it comes to parts, especially comparatively speaking.

And, my little truck will have at least 200whp!

I was really in to the first generation Novas (Chevy II) for several years. I must have owned about 8 of them before it was all said and done. I had a VIN correct '64 283, 4 speed, bucket seat, "console", posi Super Sport. It was fun to drive. People always liked checking it out and that sort of thing. It was ok. My last 510 was a lot more fun to drive. A LOT more fun to build. They don't cost as much to build, own, etc.

If you aren't a total miser when it comes to putting together a Datsun, you can really have a great little rig. Lately I've been thinking about getting a '70 Chevelle. I love them. There are several for sale around here. A decent 4 speed non-SS car is about $15k plus or minus a few bucks.

For that same $15k, I'll have my 521 complete, including high quality paint. I'll also have something no one else has. I think it will be a ton more fun to drive. It is all cheap when it comes to parts, especially comparatively speaking.

And, my little truck will have at least 200whp!

I had a 71' El Camino daily driver for a while and that was alot of fun. I bought it for $3,200 in 2003 and sold to buy a 98' slammed Chevy 4dr. Duallie,now that was cool to drive until gas went over $2.00 a gallon!

I'm very much with you guys on the transition. When I first got into cars in HS, I wa a big American fan. As I got older I like older and older cars. My dream car was a Model A 2dr sedan, but could only afford a 40's dodge, then and 50's and 60's cars and trucks. As the prices of fuel got more expensive, I started to appreciate the inexpensive parts availability, reliability, and fuel efficiency of the Japanese imports, although I never could "feel" the Honda racer scene. Lately I

Myfirst vehicle was a '75 620. I took it to the track several times, then jparked it when it got worn out. I got into drag cars, getting together with guys from the track, built motors ($12k in a 502 w/brodix heads +800hp on the dyno!)

Then I got into 4x4's(because I thought it would be cheaper:rolleyes:) and got burned out putting $4k or more into a Dana 60 front axle ( :rolleyes: again)

...So, I started getting back into Datsuns, and you know what I found out? It's all about perspective, we don't spend as much on our Datsuns because we don't want to, that's all. I could easily spend $5k or more on an L20, $$$$ on a paint job, interior, stereo, suspension, drive train etc. I look back and see guys in all the motorsports I was in that had fun for a lot less than what I spent.

We have fun with our Datsuns because we love them, not because they're cheap, and I have more fun with them than any of the motorsports I've been in. Heck, with just about any Datsun you can make it a 4x, drag car, drifter,scca or show car.

Muscle cars are only good for looking at or cruse night's.

:confused:

what about going straight & fast (or left :lol: )

my first car was a 67 mustang w/a boss 302 slipped in. that was FUN!

my friend and i also put together a 68 stang that handled the local cyns very nicely.

i got a 125mph speeding ticket in AZ in it... and free night at the gray bar motel :cursing: woulda made LA to phoenix in ~4hrs

got into motorcylcles for a few years then traded one for an automatic 4dr 510, ~1986, and have had one ever since :thumbup:

i was pretty much born and raised around datsuns. my first datto, 64 NL320, i bought when i was 10 for $50. ive worked on quite a few muscle cars but never really got into them, everone i rode in couldnt do s**t around corners(besides my dads '71 454 el camino.) i could really care less about straight line speed if it cant handle at all. id definitely take a nimble datto over a detriot iron anyday. though im really lookin forward to workin on my dads '69 1/2 Superbee w/ 440 6-pack.:eek::blink:

I grew up around motorcycles and had some of my first real mechanical experiences with american cars but man, the first time I saw 240z I was hooked right there. I love my Z, its not a 9 sec car but its quick enough and handles great and I always enjoy driving it.

I like them both..as a matter of fact, I have a 65 Mustang Fastback/Shelby clone, 75 Celica, and a Datsun 71 510.

It seems like I like cars that don't need to be smog....heck, if price of gas was not that bad, my next buy would be an 1960's Ford econoline truck or van w/out windows...I also owned a 91 GT mustang, 89 LX mustang and a 65 Falcon and several Datsun wagons..I like the Toyota wagons, too. Even the early 80's and corrolas with 2tc and 3tc engines....they are all good except for SUVS, can't stand those things.

Well I like my Datsun its sort of a best of both worlds. Cheap parts for enigine and body. As you can see in the above I also own a 65' corvette, a 90 Honda Civic and a 91 300zxtt. So I love all JDM and American muscle.

i have both american muscle (Chrysler products), and some JDM stuff. mostly though i LOVE my German imports. i own VWs. so far though my Datsun has been more reliable than any of my dubs with the exception of my wifes Passat. but back on topic, i love my ass a nice mildly built dodge. my wifes 68 dart is a true sleeper. beat up, rusty, UGLY (in a pretty sort of way) 4dr. dual exhaust that rattles, 4bbl holley on an edlebrock manifold topping a little high winding 273. its fun adn fast when it runs right. its a beater BUT hey, its not how it looks but what you can whoop with it! :D My baby is a 72 Plymouth Valiant Scamp 2dr. this baby is LOADED for her age. AC, cruise, full light package incl. map light and fender mount turns, rear defog, electronic ignition (factory!!! not usually available in 72. 73 was standard.), vynil top (rust magnet!!!!), power disk brakes, power steering, adna nice armrest front seat. oh and it too is a V8 car factory. 318 2bbl. before she died, transmission is done, i averaged about 22 MPG. she ran WAY lean but had power. god i miss driving that car. both the dart and my scamp need a full tear down and rebuild but the dart will be keeping all her dents. only the rust will get fixed. my scamp on teh other hand will be going all the way back to stock with the exception of a faux vynil top. dont feel like having to redo teh rust repairs again once i have it fixed properly.

but for my JDM cars i have owned a few. a couple honduhs (3), 4 toyotas (2 corrollas 75 sr5 and a 78 wagon, a 79 celica st coupe, and a 79 34 ton hilux), and of course my datto and my pathy. not to bad if i do say so myself. owned alot of cars in teh last 13 or so years though. some i wish i had never sold. like my hilux. oh well hind sight is always 2020.

the best of both worlds. in my world at least. my 521 next to my 70 torino gt fastback. i'm so stupid for getting rid of that car. i was young and dumb though. i really like the american muscle. i think 70 was the best year as far as the body stlyes. also if i get in a wreck in my 521 i have zero chance of making it out of that tin can. no jaws of life needed, just pour me out. is it worth it? HELL YA IT IS.

torino521.jpg

torino5212.jpg

I personally like japanese imports for the nice feel of power and ability to make flexible power and handling which works for daily use. I have much respect and own a old school chevy truck in the clean lines and personality of american muscle. but all in all old school jdm and u.s. muscle both rock as they are simple and have personality as well as respect by all who drive,own or see them as well as laid down the road for a lot of cars that are on the road today.

Benzo

Heck no, don't tell me you got rid of that Torino..looks like a GT...Torino's did not get that much attention as compared to the Mustangs, Boss and so on but they are cool cars like the Falcons and Ford econolines...the front of a Torino actually looks like a 1st gen Celica.

Heck no, don't tell me you got rid of that Torino..looks like a GT...Torino's did not get that much attention as compared to the Mustangs, Boss and so on but they are cool cars like the Falcons and Ford econolines...the front of a Torino actually looks like a 1st gen Celica.

yeah i'm still kicking myself and will have another one someday. i like the gt hoods better than the cobra hoods. the factory tach's in these go for a grand on evilbay. torino's have never got the recognition like the other models.

mine was a 70 gt fastback 63f body style with factory tach and the hash marks on the side. 351c that nobody likes cause they say it's a truck engine. fmx trans. bought it for $1800 and sold it for $1000 like a jackass. you live and you learn. that was the hardest lesson i ever learned.

my dad had a 70 torino type nw formal roof. very few were made.