JDM vs. American Muscle

my dream ford would have to be a 66 galaxie with a 351C or a 427. almost had one (427) GIVEN to me, but my uncle wouldn't let me have it. his reasoning.... it needed a new motor, trans and brakes. in reality it needed a rebuild on the dual quads. instead let me BUY a lincoln with a seized motor saying all it needed was a tune up. oh well. someday i will ahve my ford, not that i dont already have a ford.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my little truck (71 pl521) but I also really like my dad's 1956 Mercury Monterey 4dr hardtop. The thing is so long and low and has super low original miles...nothing in the world feels like a mountain drive in a 56 merc!:thumbup:

He also has a bunch of old Studebakers:cool:I remember the very first time I was in his 1950 1/2 ton truck...sweet ride man! One day he took the Corvette 327 w/202 heads up to over 100 miles an hour:eek:The sound of the huge Holley double pumper was almost deafening! I'll bet that ride cost around 19 bucks by todays standards. My Ratsun will go over 100 easy (yeah 5 speed!) but it's just not the same as big fat American muscle man!:rolleyes:

Of all the almost 60 cars and trucks I have owned...only 2 or 3 of them have been made in this country. I do hope to one day restore and drive my dad's 56 though...or one of his Studebakers! This will be of course, after I stick a sa or ka24 and a 5 speed in my 58 Simca Aronde. I might go with a Renault Hemi head though...to keep it all in the French family.:)

HOLD ON BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my dream ford would have to be a 66 galaxie with a 351C or a 427. almost had one (427) GIVEN to me, but my uncle wouldn't let me have it. his reasoning.... it needed a new motor, trans and brakes. in reality it needed a rebuild on the dual quads. instead let me BUY a lincoln with a seized motor saying all it needed was a tune up. oh well. someday i will ahve my ford, not that i dont already have a ford.

friend of mine has a 66 comet with a 351 c, kinda of looks like a Fairlaine. I like these cars. If gas prices was not an issue, I would buy a 60s Ford Econoline, either a truck or a no window van..so cool.

I have daily driven a 510 since '85-'86.Before that I had a few early mustangs and chevelles.Those were the cars that I learned to wrench on.My current domestic project is a 1964 Impala SS.This car has a 300hp 327 with an M20 Muncie 4 speed.I have been working on this for a few years now.The last few things I have done to it are rebuild the suspension and put a new headliner in it.

The biggest thing it needs now are brakes.The 4 wheel drum setup is marginal at best.I have some 17 inch wheels on it now so a big brake kit is the next step.

Here is a link to some pics. http://tinyurl.com/53ke9l

I might go with a Renault Hemi head though...to keep it all in the French family.:)

HOLD ON BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My grandpa had a Simca, along with a Hilman, Moris minor, Renault, and a couple other old time Imports.

Those Hemi and Nostril head are way cool! My Grandpa and Uncle used to do the scca pro rallies in a couple R8 Ghordinis in the '70s. Like the 510 I love the square style of R8s.

After My grandpa died we had to sell all those spare parts and cars, it was sad, but we kept the Alpine A108.

I still want a 63 Lincoln Conti Conv. In black. I love those damn cars...suicide doors....love 'em!

i know where one is all stock starts and almost running could see if they still want to get rid of it(it came with the house they just bought and had asked if i wanted it)...ooops i just noticed you said convert this one is a towne car hard top

the best of both worlds. in my world at least. my 521 next to my 70 torino gt fastback. i'm so stupid for getting rid of that car. i was young and dumb though. i really like the american muscle. i think 70 was the best year as far as the body stlyes.

torino521.jpg

torino5212.jpg

My dad, the car guy, bought a 70 Torino GT, green with the grabber stripe and shaker hood on a 351. It was sweet. Loaned it to me one time for a HS date in 1973, and she barfed slo gin all over the back seat. He never let me drive it again. BtY, premium was $.35 per gallon!

Best examples of IMHO by year:

Pontiac .........'69 GTO drove a 4spd the '64 was runner up

Chevelle........ '70 SS rode in SS 396 4spd

Dodge........... '69 Charger owned one, drove a 440 auto

Oldsmobile..... '69 442

Mustang........ '68 fastback drove a '71 Boss 429 Mach 1 4spd. rode in a '65 fastback

Dart............. '69 Swinger drove one, owned a '70 340 4spd new

Nova............ '70 SS rode in one (350)

Camaro......... '68 rs rode in a '67 and '70 (327)

Chevy.......... '55&'57 owned both the '64 was runner up

Didn't care for the Torino Cobra Jet, it was too fast.