• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smoke

• laotsu

• flatcat19

• q-tip

Top Posters In This Topic

I know my 97 Pontiac Fireturd Formula was a big POS! Lots of problems. Only good thing about it was the LT1 V8. That's all GM has ever made right to me, V8 engines, not all engines, because there was the glass duke four banger in my other GM POS Fiero that failed at 95,000 miles...

And then the assholes took MY TAX MONEY in a bailout, THEN move AMERICAN jobs to South America... FUCK GM! Their crappy quality and bad business decisions is the taxpayer's fault? We the people should have gotten to vote on these bank and automaker bailouts since it is OUR money being spent! I would have said NO, LET THEM FAIL, LET THEM GO UNDER. I will NEVER own anything made by them again.

OK, stepping off my soapbox and turning off my megaphone now... soapbox.gif

EDIT: Mike, we need this smiley!

Edited by JoeCool

If Tesla could make a White Zombie my faith would be reinstated. Mitt Romney wanted GM to eat shit, Obama bailed them out right?

I guess we'll see if it was worth it. 

The ford fiesta is a huge success in Europe, tho I doubt any of it was made in U.S by ford.

They sure handed us some turds in the 70s.

When gas went up in the early '70 and people screamed for better mileage, what did GM do???? The answered with the Vega and the Astra two of the worst pieces of shit ever made. When people complained the motors blew blue smoke at 45K, and gave real world 25MPG and not 35, GM shrugged and called us ungrateful little bastards and told us to eat it. To this day the only Vegas on the road have 350s in them. I bought a new '76 B-210 and only twice was able to drive it hard enough to get it down into the 20s.

They have made superb push rod V8s.

• Like 1

The GM thing kinda makes me a bit sad, because if you really go back (way back) they made good cars and trucks, well...as good as what was being offered at the time from any other. Someone didn't get the memo that stuff should get better as years progress.

GM makes the majority of its vehicles here. 80s sucked for all makes. The EPA/emissions testing is to blame for that. GM trucks are awesome. I have 2, and have owned a dozen minimum. Also the majority of GM vehicles are built here, I see the window tags all day long. Yeah they needed a bailout, but they paid it back quicker than expected. The only reason Ford avoided it was because of their European sales. And trust me, GM interior quality has improved incredibly from the fisher price style plastic theyve been known for.

Ford and Ford fans like that no bailout thing, but we are really getting into semantics with that. Ford DID take 5.9 BILLION dollars from the government (tax payer money), they didn't call it a bailout, it was something alone the lines of overhauling it's factories to build more fuel efficient cars. The big difference here is Ford was smart enough not to say they need it or they will go under. Maybe they would not have, then again, who is to really say.

The EPA does hold SOME blame for the 80s, but so does the big three trying to pass as cheap as they possibly could. An attempt to pass epa rules with their current engines was a lot like putting perfume on a pig. They knew how to pass a better way, like engines today, but for that to happen, they would have had to dump a lot more money into it, so they weigh out what the cheapest way to get by was. This was them lowering compression, retarding timing, retarding camshafts, air pumps and so on. This stuff had been around for a long time.

I personally, have never (and I mean NEVER) had an issue with a GM product that I have owned, not from any year, but...I always buy full size trucks, so perhaps that has a bearing on it. Most of them, I put a lot of miles on, one of them I went past 300k with the same small block. It was the only time I saw a timing chain get so loose that the slack actually rubbed a hole in the bottom of the timing cover AND it was still going fine.

One of my issues of the big three these days is not really where they are put together, but rather where the parts are manufactured that they use to build them. Very few are from here, because it's too expensive. That is a lot of jobs that are missing.

GM makes the majority of its vehicles here. 80s sucked for all makes. The EPA/emissions testing is to blame for that. GM trucks are awesome. I have 2, and have owned a dozen minimum. Also the majority of GM vehicles are built here, I see the window tags all day long. Yeah they needed a bailout, but they paid it back quicker than expected. The only reason Ford avoided it was because of their European sales. And trust me, GM interior quality has improved incredibly from the fisher price style plastic theyve been known for.

Owned a dozen minimum? This implicates a problem in my eyes. I like the old way, where you buy a truck for the next 20 years or more.

If you only own a truck for a couple of years, especially new, you never get to see longevity, which is the greatest concern for GM, Ford, Domestic vehicles. When I recently went shopping for trucks, I'll tell you, lots had plenty of post 2000 trucks for sale. The domestics were cobbled together messes showing a bad history of service needs and fails. The imports ( Toyota and Nissan ) showed much greater longevity. Paint was sturdy, chassis looks solid, interior not destroyed, etc. could just be the owners, but the trend was evident .

Owned a dozen minimum? This implicates a problem in my eyes. I like the old way, where you buy a truck for the next 20 years or more.

If you only own a truck for a couple of years, especially new, you never get to see longevity, which is the greatest concern for GM, Ford, Domestic vehicles. When I recently went shopping for trucks, I'll tell you, lots had plenty of post 2000 trucks for sale. The domestics were cobbled together messes showing a bad history of service needs and fails. The imports ( Toyota and Nissan ) showed much greater longevity. Paint was sturdy, chassis looks solid, interior not destroyed, etc. could just be the owners, but the trend was evident .

I always flipped/traded cars and trucks.

I never see any construction company with a fleet of abused Toyotas and Nissans. When someone goes to buy a work truck 98% of the time its a domestic brand truck. Nissan/Toyota full size trucks don't see the amount of use and abuse GM/Ford/Dodge do. Every company I have ever worked for that had fleets, had either Ford/GM/Dodge work trucks.

Yeah, It's a little of both owner and trucks. Domestics over here in the states get driven a lot by people who don't own them and also work on a construction or logging site, so they get the tar pounded out of them. I don't "think" anyone would argue that Toyota makes a solid pickup, but for the most part, when you see something massively overloaded and hauling down a rough road, it's a domestic.

You are not the buyer I had in mind. Owning a fleet of work trucks makes your position far different from my assumption. And I'd not keep trucks for long if they were company trucks either.

And my company fleet is Dodge, and I'm happy about that. Cummins Diesels are quite reliable so far.