77 Kc 620

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey fellas, got the truck back. Hauled on a car dolly behind my Colorado in the pouring rain, and that was just a blast, yeah right. I wanted to get some opinions on the motor, what does everyone recommend, should I rebuild the L20 motor or hit the junkyards and put something else in? I would like to have a little bit of get up and go, with decent gas mileage. But I don't have a clue what I can put in her, example, what will fit without any modifications. I have read alot of everyones threads about different motors, but I'm still clueless. I'll get some pics up as soon as I can.

good to hear you made it safely home and cant wait to seee sum pics.

I wood get it running 1st and check all the fluids, change oil w/ new filter, make sure all het lights/ turn signals work. tune it if it needs it. Have sum fun in it until you can decide what ur going to do with it.

winter is cumn up and you can start ur project or upgrades while its sitting in het garage.

how about sum pics NOW. :D

Find a good Z22 from a 720, remove the head and everything forward of the iron block, timing gear, the works. Put your L head and manifolds on as well as all the timing gear and oil pan. Use a Z22 head gasket with holes matched to the old L20B gasket. Trim the front part around the timing cover off the L and mate to the Z22 gasket. You now have an LZ22 motor, 10% increase displacement and around 10 to 1 compression. Use the L20B m mounts.

Nice. I had a set of those buckets in my old 521. There's a bar that passes across the hinge point. I hated them because on big bounces your tail bone would hit it. Had that little console box in my 620 once, kind of handy. Like those front bumperettes too.

looks like alot of good parts, body looks nice, is there any bad rust issue what did you have to give for it, on craigs list he was asking 1200,00 / OBO.

also whats ur plans for het 620.

sorry for so many ????s

:D

420, talked the guy down to $800.00. It's got surface rust in the usual spots but no cancer holes. Cab floor is solid, runs but needs tuned up. I'm gonna do this one up right. New fenders, hood, and whatever else that I can find new aftermarket or nos on the internet, ebay. I'm really lookin hard at one of those built motors on ebay, pricey, but I don't care. I've started tearin her down. Gonna take it down to the frame. The only thing I'm worried about is getting her back together (remembering where everything goes).

nice KC man!

its a task and a half to do a cab off resto on a 620... mines been going for 2.5 years now!!!

ive lost all the bolts and shit off mine so i bought a spare one thats badly rusted to get all the screws etc!!!

or you could just lable them and itd be all sweet..

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet project man! Man I keep looking at those ebay engins too. Hell i think I add every l18 l20b to my watchlist. Someday. I know they ain't cheap, but I had a thread going about them last week- the thought being, how much time and money would it take to get a scrapyard engine to that level. How many cracked l20 blocks would you have to weed through to find a solid one? I bet it wouldn't be much more when all is said and done.

However, me being a right coast guy, shipping will add a bit to the price tag!

Sweet project man! Man I keep looking at those ebay engins too. Hell i think I add every l18 l20b to my watchlist. Someday. I know they ain't cheap, but I had a thread going about them last week- the thought being, how much time and money would it take to get a scrapyard engine to that level. How many cracked l20 blocks would you have to weed through to find a solid one? I bet it wouldn't be much more when all is said and done.

However, me being a right coast guy, shipping will add a bit to the price tag!

Yeah the time and money adds up. But I have two good L20 motors here at the house. I'm not much when it comes to rebuilding a motor, but I know a guy around here that could build one up for me. I haven't checked with him yet about price, depending on that will make my mind up about one of those ebay motors.

• 3 weeks later...