Squealing [Fixed]

EdwardK

I dunno what happened. I have yet to get a good look at her, 'cause she blew up this morning.

Started squealing like a belt came loose. I checked the engine and the squealing was coming from the rear of the engine. The ignition switch seems to have locked itself up as well.

I just had the engine out and changed the clutch.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

More info to come once I get off from work and look at her again.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno what happened. I have yet to get a good look at her, 'cause she blew up this morning.

Started squealing like a belt came loose. I checked the engine and the squealing was coming from the rear of the engine. The ignition switch seems to have locked itself up as well.

I just had the engine out and changed the clutch.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

More info to come once I get off from work and look at her again.

If the switch stuck in the start position the motor would drive the starter until it 'blows up' seizes. Pull the starter... see if it turns.

• Like 1

If the switch stuck in the start position the motor would drive the starter until it 'blows up' seizes. Pull the starter... see if it turns.

Kinda what I was after, and that perhaps the starter wasn't bolted down quite right when it was put back together.

Ignition switch doesn't engage the starter, or ilthe key is literally stuck in place? A starter that didn't disengage correctly came to mind first.

No, no. I turned the vehicle off and pulled the key out. Afterwards I tried to see if I could crank it back up and couldn't get the key to turn.

Indeed. I was making the assumption that a clutch kit was used.  More details!

Yes it was. There was some arguement over whether I had the right throwout bearing or not though. Hmmm...

Does not sound like 'blowed up' which means a part broke off and exploded. Instead it seems that something is squealing. Probably the throwout bearing was put on incorrectly or without grease.

Datsun 620s rarely if ever blow up.

Ehh, I was just trying to amuse myself with the title considering I was all kinds of bummed out. Too many rednecks about these parts, got it from them.

Does not sound like 'blowed up' which means a part broke off and exploded. Instead it seems that something is squealing. Probably the throwout bearing was put on incorrectly or without grease.

Datsun 620s rarely if ever blow up.

I thought the throw out barring is a dry barring and does not get greased?

Datsun factory service manual instructs to grease the bearing sleeve. But not the bearing itself.

Squeal may be caused by a non-adjusted clutch (resulting in the bearing always turning and so quickly burning up) or maybe the pullback spring has slipped off. Another common problem is putting the disk on backwards.

I know the bearing is not on backwards. I also know I did not grease the bearing, only the collar, and not on the collar and bearing mating surfaces.

I got the truck towed home this evening and got looking at it. Starter is fried, the motor spins, but the gear doesn't engage and spin. The ignition switch is also toast, only thing I can figure is the internals for it melted, 'cause it's totally seized up. So I've got replacements for both of those. (Well, a replacement starter and a temporary ignition switch.)

Also, as far as more information goes, I did not lose any horsepower or have any vibrations once it started squealing. As well as, it started making a weird spinning noise whenever I'd shift a day before. So it's a solid bet my throw-out is toasty as well.

I bet the spinning noise was the starter remaining on the ring gear engaged and spinning while you drove. You turned the key off and it stopped then started ok but finally gave up.

Probably started as a solenoid issue

Sent from my Armchair...

Also, as far as more information goes, I did not lose any horsepower or have any vibrations once it started squealing. As well as, it started making a weird spinning noise whenever I'd shift a day before. So it's a solid bet my throw-out is toasty as well.

Too soon to think that. What are the chances the starter seizes at the exact same time the release bearing seizes... the brand new release bearing. Between shifts the engine is quieter so easier to hear the starter.

musings...

1. if the starter remained engaged with the ring gear and powered would it make the engine feel more powerfull?  almost a hybrid drive?

2. if it remained engaged and wasn't powered would it act as a generator that is un-regulated and at higher RPM create enough current to fry the ignition switch? (there must be a relay? i haven't looked)

3. would the regulator manage that current if it was feeding into the system?

I don't know these answers or even if I'm being a dicktard.  Just thinking about everything and nothing

1. No, because if the engine is turning the starter, it's turning it far faster than the starter was designed to turn. 

2. Yes, possibly.  Most DC motors can become generators if driven externally.  It likely wouldn't fry the ignition switch though- because the ignition switch is connected to the starter solenoid, not the motor windings.  The starter is connected to the battery, though, so that coul dbe damaged.

3.  No, because it has no control of the starter and there's no regulating circutry in it.

In aircraft, there are such devices as starter-generators.  Uses the same unit for both, but they are far more complex than your normal starter, and require external rectifiers in some cases.

Too soon to think that. What are the chances the starter seizes at the exact same time the release bearing seizes... the brand new release bearing. Between shifts the engine is quieter so easier to hear the starter.

Fair enough. Time shall tell. Got all the new parts today, but it was too dark by the time I got home to do anything. Got tomorrow off so I'll work on it then.

Any advice on rewiring the new ignition switch? Doesn't look terribly hard as per the wiring diagrams.

Either, I'm gonna go push button (Which I already have the stuff to do from one of my other vehicles.) and try to figure out how to disable the steering lock. (I seem to recall there being a steering lock. It doesn't work now, but I'd hate for it to decide to engage while going down the road.) Or I'll have to find an oem switch, which probably won't be cheap.

I don't think the '74 had the lock, my '78 didn't although there is a hole in the column for the lock to fit into if it was there. The lock cannot engage in any other position that the lock position. The key being turned sets it and if and when the column turned it drops into the hole and locks it. When the key is inserted and turned out of the lock position the pin is pulled back. I don't know of any instance ever of any steering column locking on any car while driving.

I don't think the '74 had the lock, my '78 didn't although there is a hole in the column for the lock to fit into if it was there. The lock cannot engage in any other position that the lock position. The key being turned sets it and if and when the column turned it drops into the hole and locks it. When the key is inserted and turned out of the lock position the pin is pulled back. I don't know of any instance ever of any steering column locking on any car while driving.

Well not with the key in yes. But my tumbler has basically welded itself together. It won't turn at all from the off position. I'll look fro the pin and if I have one, I'll pull it out.