Scored a cheap 72 240z last night

City Hunter

Found it on craigslist, and im going out to buy it today. The guy has held it for me luckily. It is the one on seattles craigslist right now. I'm not expecting a whole lot for condition wise, but I am expecting a ton of body work in my future. As long as the roof isn't wavy I'll be happy.

She has a l28 with early su's on t right now, but It also comes with a complete fi setup along with a ton of misc stuff including a cracked non ducted spoiler

My plans are to basically do sort of a wangan replica with the zg flares, the bre spoiler, non ducted lip and some deep wats in maybe a 92 corvette blue. I havent decided on the exact blue I will use yet though.

I havethe whole month off, I have the rest of this month and some of next month off before I start back up on turbine work in socal, so hopefully I can get her stripped patched and painted by then.

240z-01.jpg

240z-02.jpg

240z-03.jpg

240z-04.jpg

-------------------------------------------

So, I picked her up last night. I'm very happy with the purchase. THe car is much nicer than any of the other cars I have went to look at. Rust isnt very bad from what I have found so far.

Comes with a ton of documentation and goodies. It still has the original radio, keys and ignition. The dash only has one crack, has white interior, and 280z seats purchased back in 87.

The wheels are actually ronals, and it even coems with a spare. In 1982 a previous owner had the car converted to l28 fuel injection.

The car has a decent looking header on it. It's 3 into 1x2 and has a true twin exhaust going all the way back. There doesnt appear to be any h pipe on it. THe documentation says the exhaust was made by Cyclone Automotive Products of north hollywood cali.

The last owner put twin early su's on it, but they must not have realized you cant run carbs with a fuel injected fuel pump, and thats why they wouldnt get it to run right

I'll be tossing the fuel injection manifold back on it. I believe the car needs a new mas air sensor as the one it has is partially taken apart.

I also received a vented msa front spoiler, along with a stocker, plus a lot of spare misc stuff.

The guy who did teh conversion paid 1600 bucks for the l28 in 1982 . The guy was very anal about receiptsm, as I even have gi joes receipts for wd40 and a roll of towls.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah it was on craigslist seattle for a few days. I had found the ad right after the guy had posted it and he held ti for me until sunday. It looked red in the pictures, was way the hell over in ellensburg.

Personally I dont like the wheels that much. I have a set of appliance mesh I will probably swap on, although these ronal wehels are actaully very light. Wonder if they are worth anything.

That reminds me. the airdam is the nonv ented one I actually one. I never paid much attention to it and saw some holes and figured it was vented. Well they were blinker holes. So I need to need to figure out how to repair fiberglass. I have a general idea, she is just cracked in the middle , but still together.

man trying to get the god damn fuel injectors in with the fuel rauils n what not is a royal pain. I must say its the worse design for a fuel rail I have ever seen. Especially the injector mounts which require you to hold those stupid fuiberglassish things while trying to get the injectors to pop into place.

the wangan midnight devil z is a carbed turbo with the triple side drafts i suppose the efi would be alot easier to turbo lol but i think it would be bad ass if you did a 100% replica and had a carbed turbo set up:D anyway sweet z and you cant beat the price with a stick cant wait to see it finished

I probably wont go that far with the conversion lol. I'm not a huge fan of carbs to begin with. I have a 1jz sitting in my garage right now, but I really do need to finish my swap into the starion one of these days.

I will be using a fi turbo zx engine with a z31 turbo ecu and probably that tunable deal for it. Thats the plan for now at least.

For the time being im not very worried about the engine, the stock n42 l28 should be fine. I mainly want a nice clean car.

I definately have some work cut out for me. Looks like I will be patching some parts on the passenger quarter panel.

That reminds me. the airdam is the non vented one I actually one. I never paid much attention to it and saw some holes and figured it was vented. Well they were blinker holes. So I need to need to figure out how to repair fiberglass. I have a general idea, she is just cracked in the middle , but still together.

Dood that airdamn is mint...buff that shit out. :D

1972-240z-11.jpg

Nice tow-rig ;)

yeah the ol carbed 5 speed 22r ugly toyota for the win.

Yeah thats my race air damn, it's invisible so it makes the car lighter. I actually have a full one Air Lip brand with a crack in the middle.

Mikey and I were checking out the car and we are starting to thing this use to be a weekend warrior car.

I found some documentation that the headers have been deburred, a urethane steering coupling has been installed, billstein shockls all around, steel braided lines all around, the engine of course, exhaust, The headlight plastic bubble covers also. I'm curious to know if this engine is running a stock cam or not.