Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

Finally got a random worth of sharing.

For the passed 4 days I was visiting my sister on her farm near Cottage Grove Oregon. Last few hours there I went for a walk down the road a piece and at the second farm a HUGE dog closely resembling Satan's wrath came rushing through the gate. I stood my ground with my foot ready for a kick, and damned if it wasn't the friendliest dog ever. Shortly after farmer Chris comes out to great me. We get to talking and he says he's a worm farmer. Oh well shit, I got to see what thats all about, but we got no further than the barn when I saw this.

org510.jpg

Then Chris and I got to talking 510s and started tinkering on the old 68 to get it running. Yes, we got it running.What a blast.

• Like 8
  • Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finally got a random worth of sharing.

For the passed 4 days I was visiting my sister on her farm near Cottage Grove Oregon. Last few hours there I went for a walk down the road a piece and at the second farm a HUGE dog closely resembling Satan's wrath came rushing through the gate. I stood my ground with my foot ready for a kick, and damned if it wasn't the friendliest dog ever. Shortly after farmer Chris comes out to great me. We get to talking and he says he's a worm farmer. Oh well shit, I got to see what thats all about, but we got no further than the barn when I saw this.

org510.jpg

Then Chris and I got to talking 510s and started tinkering on the old 68 to get it running. Yes, we got it running.What a blast.

Welcome to Oregon. And thanks for stopping by and saying hello, dick.

• Like 4

Welcome to Oregon. And thanks for stopping by and saying hello, dick.

Sorry Draker, it wasn't that kind of trip. Unfortunately my sis and her hubby are splitting up. I was there to offer some support. Ugly business.

• Like 4

Not if I get there fiiiiiiirst!

Good luck with that. Chris has owned that car sense he was in high school, and it was his daily up until a few months ago when he hit a deer. He just rebuilt the engine, but put a Hitachi down draft on it and the secondaries are not dialed in. As soon as you hit the spurs it falls on it's face. I'm hoping he'll show up here and start asking some questions. He's a really good guy.

Good luck with that. Chris has owned that car sense he was in high school, and it was his daily up until a few months ago when he hit a deer. He just rebuilt the engine, but put a Hitachi down draft on it and the secondaries are not dialed in. As soon as you hit the spurs it falls on it's face. I'm hoping he'll show up here and start asking some questions. He's a really good guy.

I'm tapped out on space anyway. But, good for him. Glad to see an owner that appreciate the car for what it is. I'd go help the dude out if it meant getting the car back on the road.

• Like 2

I'm tapped out on space anyway. But, good for him. Glad to see an owner that appreciate the car for what it is. I'd go help the dude out if it meant getting the car back on the road.

If I hear back from him. I'll surely pass that offer on to him. He seems like a very capable guy, just doesn't know must about Hitachi carbs.

• Like 1

As in covering up the wood, or the process?  It's just poplar & birch ply, so no problem covering those (in hindsight I wish I had gone with maple since it's been such a large project, but the poplar was mostly free).  The process is mostly only a pain because I don't have a clean space to do it in.

As in covering up the wood, or the process?  It's just poplar & birch ply, so no problem covering those (in hindsight I wish I had gone with maple since it's been such a large project, but the poplar was mostly free).  The process is mostly only a pain because I don't have a clean space to do it in.

There are finishes that give poplar a decent look without the need for a clean room, but it is involved. 

Do a test piece first

Wipe with pretreat to set up the surface. Let it gas off until it doesn't smell strong.

Mix 8 oz of gloss lacquer, 8 oz of lacquer thinner and 1 oz of light stain like golden oak. Use a good quality stain like Cabot or Sherwin Williams, Not Minwax.

Let dry at least 30 min and lightly sand with 220 just to knock off the fibers

Add darker stain 1/4oz to the mix and coat again. If you want it darker add another 1/4 oz dark and coat again. Final coat with desired lacquer surface, gloss, satin, etc.

Not as easy as paint, but...

There are finishes that give poplar a decent look without the need for a clean room, but it is involved.

Do a test piece first

Wipe with pretreat to set up the surface. Let it gas off until it doesn't smell strong.

Mix 8 oz of gloss lacquer, 8 oz of lacquer thinner and 1 oz of light stain like golden oak. Use a good quality stain like Cabot or Sherwin Williams, Not Minwax.

Let dry at least 30 min and lightly sand with 220 just to knock off the fibers

Add darker stain 1/4oz to the mix and coat again. If you want it darker add another 1/4 oz dark and coat again. Final coat with desired lacquer surface, gloss, satin, etc.

Not as easy as paint, but...

Oh, I know poplar can stain ok, especially if you cull out all the green. I painted/finished cabinets for a few years. Still need a halfway decent place to spray, not outdoors on a sand dune :p

bought a used guitar rig last week. I've owned several vintage amps over the years and this 1984 Peavey MX though a Marshall 4 10 cab is by far the best sounding set up. 

It sounds like a glass vigina inside a cave or basically like a Plexi Marshall crossed with a fender bassman. PERFECT

New amps usually suck,  except Laney and Peaveys

20160421_124328_zps18xn4i81.jpg

• Like 2