My Latest Crazy Encounter!!

So here is the story...Been looking for 15 passenger GMC or chevy van for the family, for road trips and daily use. Found one in salem for sale for $999 bucks so i started corresponding with the owner via email and phone conversations. Finally struck a deal so i went to salem with my wife and 2lil ones. The van was undrivable when i got there, which i knew from the CL ad so i determine the problem, the hose from the intake to the waterpump was split. Fixed it but what a pain!! So i make a deal with the lady 800 bucks then and 100 more via USPS money order by 9/5/2013 and if i don't pay she will come to tillamook and get the van back and give me 400 bucks. She wrote all this up in a contract typed out and signed by her and I. At the end she wrote we both agree to this binding agreement then with our names and signatures and date. Also in the agreement was she would keep the title tell she received the $100 usps MONEY ORDER and then she would send it to me.

So this happened 8/3 on saturday. So i made it home with the van fine, then monday the wife calls her about something for the van and tells her we made it home fine van did great! FUCK ME!! So then all of a sudden the lady calls back and wants the van back?!! WFT! She is going off about how its not a legal document and it breaks all kinds of laws and she has 3 days to cancel any contract. So i say i'm sorry but it is a legal document and i will be sending her money to her sortly. She is like no i'm coming to tillamook and going on your property and if you get in my way you will be charged with assault and if the van isn't running right thats illegal too cause i sabotaged it. lady just went crazy on me, called my parents, my work and asked for my pastor's number! WOWW!!!!!!!!!!! So i sent her the money order with confirmation so she has to sign for it or decline it.

It got there8/9/2013 but nobody was there to sign for it, so they leave a note to come to the post office to sign and receive package. After 15 days it gets sent back to me. So that will still be before 9/5/2013. I guess if i get it back then i will just proceed to small claims court to try to get the title.

So guys...thoughts, suggestions, ideas, similar stories.....o and the van is still posted on CL salem it's a gmc with a 454 and a wheelchair lift                          

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, that's a drag.  I'd say you'd have a good "case" in small claims, assuming you have a copy of the contract and proof that you paid the final $100.  However, the title is probably a more powerful legal document.  I think the part that would be difficult to explain is how/why you had in the contract that if you didn't pay the last $100 she'd get the van back and pay you $400.  Time and fees to go to court will be much greater than that $100.  BTW be sure you send/sent the $100 via Certified Mail (not just delivery confirmation with signature required)  Oh, and don't park the van at your house until you get this resolved.  Mr's crazy holds the title.  If she holds the title and the van - you're in a tight spot.

Fawk i know, i didn't have 900 bucks. Yeah the title is in her name and no leins, checked with dmv bout that. I didn't figure it would be that big o deal, just a 100 bucks. I just didn't want to have to drive back out there cause that would have been a waste of another 40 bucks. Really tho, i done lots of car deals and never had somebody want there rig back, usually its the buyer wanting their money back.

yeah it was certified too. She wrote the contract up and that seemed fine to me cause i didn't want her to think i was gonna skip out on paying her. The van is at a secure location! :D o yeah and in one of her emails after crazy came out she says if i don't give the van back things are going to escalate! :D

Yeah, don't deal with crazy people.  And never leave without the title.  She could have called in a stolen vehicle on you and you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.  I'd say, get your 800 back or whatever you paid her, and then tell her where the van is.  I would be malicious enough to sabotage the van to the point where she'd never get it running again, but do it discreetly.  This is after you get your money back of course.

Yeah, don't deal with crazy people.  And never leave without the title.  She could have called in a stolen vehicle on you and you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.  I'd say, get your 800 back or whatever you paid her, and then tell her where the van is.  I would be malicious enough to sabotage the van to the point where she'd never get it running again, but do it discreetly.  This is after you get your money back of course.

I'd agree with all of that, except the sabotage, no need to cause reason for further escalation. She's a crazy lady. Period. Just get your money back and call it a wash--and a learning experience. Plenty of other vans out there that will be a lot less of a hassle. Too bad you got burned, though, and I do feel bad for you that you got yourself into this situation.

yeah i'm pretty sure tho that this crazy bitch isn't gonna give me my money back. Shev said she would give it back to me then she told my sister that she called at my parents house that she wouldn't. I think she just thought, o this guy got my van running for me so i'm gonna go all crazy on him and he will bow down and give me my van back! fuck that, i took the chance on getn it home after i got it running so i'm stickin to my guns and probably just gonna end up going to small claims court. yeah she already threatned to report it stolen if i didn't give it back to her when she comes to my house.

talked to the police a few times now. I called salem police to see if they would go to her house and just deliver the money order. They said no thats a civil matter but if things get out of hand call 911.  The state police said i'm all good with the agreement paper we signed in case she calls it in stolen but then when i explained the rest of the story they said thats a civil matter goodbye. So i just emailed her and gave her the tracking number and informed her that the package is at her post office ready to be picked up. Just doing my due dilligence so she can't say i didn't try to get it to her. Hopeing she emails me back jsut so i have record she knows i sent it.

A point of contract law.  The terms of the contract will be adversely interpreted against the party that drafted the contract.  In plain English, she wrote it up.  If there is any ambiguity, it will be judged in your favor.

I would take the contract and the returned envelope with the Post Office notice that the seller would not pick it up to the DMV and ask for a substitute title.

• Like 1

A point of contract law.  The terms of the contract will be adversely interpreted against the party that drafted the contract.  In plain English, she wrote it up.  If there is any ambiguity, it will be judged in your favor.

I would take the contract and the returned envelope with the Post Office notice that the seller would not pick it up to the DMV and ask for a substitute title.

Solid.

In Ca I would just start a lein, send her the remaining money. Start racking up storage fees on the van of $50 per day that its left without pickup.  Include the full cost of the vehicle, transportation of the vehicle, and any additional costs in the lien. So when she comes to get the vehicle she pays the full amount back and storage fee. In Cali it only takes 30 days. Then send the paperwork in for the pink. But that is California for vehicles valued less than $4000...  perhaps look into your local Lien options. You have paperwork that says she sold it. And she gave you permission to remove the vehicle. Now she wants it back as of a certain date, so as of that date charges apply...

update. Received an email from crazy! now she would rather i keep the van than deal with my "shenenigans" but she wants the sheepskin steering wheel cover back first. WOW! So now she wants me to come to Salem and meet her at the DMV and do the title transfer and then send her a notarized copy of the title i guess proving that i did have the title changed into my name. "Assuming she gets the $100 USPS money order".

Since you did the repair on the van to get it running while she was still the registered owner, send her a repair bill.  If it's not payed threaten a small claims suit.  Then start the lien process.  Sure, it's not really a legal basis, but it's no crazier than her logic.

...and don't get yourself into another situation like this.  Seriously,  it was only a $900 vehicle.