Nissan BANNED from GT3?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so it's not just me then lol. Thought maybe I was off base thinking the whole thing retarded. 

No I say you hit it on the head. Stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Ban someone for being fast at motorsport racing just seems foolish to me.

Ya I mean banning the driver? I remember the IMSA z32 team used to be too fast, they made them run intake restrictors.  Still dominated but it was a fair handicap at least. 

I can understand where they are coming from... its like the same thing with Mazda. They dominated with the Wankel and it was banned. They just need to find an appropriate division/series to move Nissan into instead of banning him all together. It makes sense that they want to keep everyone close together as far as skill/experience. 

They just need a rewording of the rules to allow for someone to move up a class even if they dont meet some of the requirements, but excel in others. 

Actually, it makes sense to me.  There was a time a while back when the new VW GTI R32 version came out with that instant shift getrag whatever it was unit.  Shifts in like .2 seconds or something like that.  All of us guys in CSP class were pretty fairly matched.  But we had an event out at SRP, which was a long course.  So this VW shows up, and due to the number of shifts required on this long autocross course, we couldn't touch him.  Got really close, but figure this course we were making upwards of 10-20 shifts at say .6 seconds, that's 12 seconds.  .2 shifts or whatever is 4 seconds.  That makes a HUGE difference on an autocross course.

In this case, it's the driver, which is more questionable, but it's like sending a varsity runner to a junior varsity meet.  You're in it for the points there, but there's no chance for the other drivers.  In our case is was technology was too good.   And yeah, we got the R32 classed differently the very next race. ;)  All's fair in love and racing.

I can understand restricting/banning technology 100%, a totally different engine type or a transmission that allows an unfair edge. Where is that edge between drivers though? Its not like they have bionic arms/legs or are taking drug that gives them something others don't. No one is born being able to drive on a track, if they are so good other people need to get better lol. Its not an amateur race, its GT3 a very well funded, next to unlimited and very competitive class. The rule that allows the gov body to restrict or ban at will is silly imho. Set guidelines just just say oh if someone gets to good they are gone. That queers the whole thing for me. 

I can understand where they are coming from... its like the same thing with Mazda. They dominated with the Wankel and it was banned. They just need to find an appropriate division/series to move Nissan into instead of banning him all together. It makes sense that they want to keep everyone close together as far as skill/experience. 

They just need a rewording of the rules to allow for someone to move up a class even if they dont meet some of the requirements, but excel in others. 

oh god, I agree with Tristin. :sick: 

I can understand restricting/banning technology 100%, a totally different engine type or a transmission that allows an unfair edge. Where is that edge between drivers though? Its not like they have bionic arms/legs or are taking drug that gives them something others don't. No one is born being able to drive on a track, if they are so good other people need to get better lol. Its not an amateur race, its GT3 a very well funded, next to unlimited and very competitive class. The rule that allows the gov body to restrict or ban at will is silly imho. Set guidelines just just say oh if someone gets to good they are gone. That queers the whole thing for me. 

I think any banning "queers it up." You can make the same arguments for drivers just as much as technology. What makes some technology ok in the series, but not other tech? Shit is constantly being invented and improved upon. I think if the R32 came out with a fancy new transmission and dominates, then good for them. I think that just gets other companies to invest in R&D as well. Eventually all that research and data gets dropped into production cars so it betters everyone. 

Its a fair market out there so if Nissan or any company wants to spend the money to invent a crazy new turbo or train a driver, I think they should be allowed to. They will just keep winning all the races until another car company invests in something worthwhile as well. 

Thats called an unlimited class as I understand it Tristen. Class racing is great, it allows all different level, goals etc... to be incorporated into the sport. Its easy to say if a company comes up with a innovation let it go and force the others to match but that could take years. So then you have one make or team winning for years then another for years, it gets boring. I understand their goal is to keep the race in any class competitive or else whats the point of watching. My only argument is that a driver is a person, if your going to ban people from races then you should have a guideline for it. Not just up and do it when they start winning. I mean shit for that if I were a driver I would sand bag, why win by a lap just slow your times down in the last 10. Loose a race here and there but stay top 3 and still come out on top at end of the series. 

Whats the big deal? Nothing really just a topic for discussion. Which is actually going well and staying civil so far. Thats okay still right? lol 

I totally see your point... Im not saying zero rules for classes. You obviously have to have an organized set of rules to keep everything on an even keel. Something like:

-Drivers under a year of experience

-Under 300hp

-Production vehicle

-Drivers under 3 years of experience

-Under 500hp

-Production vehicle

Then within each one of those as long as those rules are met, you can go wild. If the sanctioning body keeps banning new technology, whats the point of even running new cars? Time and technology keep changing so eventually the tech has to get into the races. 

Disclaimer: Obviously my rules for the classes are the most basic ever, but its just to demonstrate the point. Not what I think should be the only rules to a GT3 class. 

I'd just like to take this time to point out that Martin Truex won a race.  A road course race.  IN THE NAPA CAR!!!!!  :D  You know how happy that made me considering he hadn't won in 6 years up to that point?!  NASCAR, cause 'murica!

Ya thats how I would have it, not as written but to that point sure. Have guidelines for the drivers just like the tech involved if thats how the class is going to be. 

Congrats to the NAPA team lol. That must feel great, winning after 6 years. 

I read the article as the officials thought the Nissan drivers were in over their heads ,, and even though they did really good they were putting them in a lighter class,, so they didn`t kill someone or themselves..

All what could have been avoided? Just you commenting about it? lol
You could have taken the liberty to correct if it bothered you so much, instead of derailing a conversation and attracting trolls to break balls. 

I honestly just copy pasted the original title because I thought maybe someone else would have read it and recognize the thread title. I guess that logic rolls right passed the mitsushitty crowd. Just like how there was never a rant but a conversation between people who didnt all agree on the topic.