1. 1. What kind of racing?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Australian v8 super cars are amazing to watch 

I like all forms of racing 

motorcycle street and dirt , late model dirt , sprint car , go cart ,hill climb , nascar, snowmobile 

Indy, kart etc etc etc 

Drifting is fun to watch for a bit but seems silly to me I like to drive through the corners as fast as possible not slide through them reading 110 on the speedo but doing 65 

• Like 2

Drifting is fun to watch for a bit but seems silly to me I like to drive through the corners as fast as possible not slide through them reading 110 on the speedo but doing 65 

110 Kilometers per hour is 65 MPH for your edification.

Freeway racing, now that's a rush... When I was younger, and careless. 

Don't put other people's lives at risk for a short run of fun. Take it to the track if you're serious.

Also, if you're caught, straight to the crusher if I remember correctly. (At least here in California, and correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's still in effect)

the freeway was empty, it was late at night, i dont act that way with cars around

it wont happen again tho :blush:

and i got home with a ticket, for no front license plate :sleep:

With that definition of racing chess would also be a race....

...if it involves skill and horsepower I'll watch it, accept NASCAR. :lol:

Using the word I think you meant to insert changes the whole context of the sentence.

Why all the hate for NASCAR?

Nascar is the most equal form of racing anywhere.

The cars are as close to the same as they can be.

When the race is won-you know who the best driver was that day.

Not who has the larger budget.

I am actually a HUGE LeMans fan. SCCA Touring as well.

Needs more races-but that is basically most companies R&D right there.

• Like 1

I went to the go kart track here in the Portland area and watched a drift even. The pros make it look sick, but the thing about drifting is there are a lot of really dumb kids who think they are hawt shit, destroying cars and killing people.

V8 Supercars are definitely one of my favorites (hey I've gotta support an Aussie format).

Hell, if it's got four wheels and an engine, and hopefully a lunatic driver and involved in some form of competition, I'll watch it.

Have to add hill climb to the list as well. When the goons finished with its makeover, hill climbs were well be going to play!

the freeway was empty, it was late at night, i dont act that way with cars around

it wont happen again tho :blush:

and i got home with a ticket, for no front license plate :sleep:

This is a cops way of telling you something. He probably doesn't have enough for a speeding ticket so he looks your rig over and can always find something. It's happened to me before many times. But I was always being a dick. Had lots of let offs with warnings too, and usually wasn't being a dick. Took a long time to figure this rule out. Cops are more forgiving if you have a history of keeping a low profile, sensible driving in public places, reasonably quiet and legal car. By legal I mean all lights working, glass clear and lenses unbroken, seat belts on, signal turns ....

I speed so infrequently I could almost say never.... but one morning years ago I rolled into the 50km zone well over the 11km they allow. Yup a radar and a car pulled over one cop on a radar gun, one writing a ticket and a spare cruiser and cop to chase down anyone who doesn't stop. To say the least my 620 is VERY recognizable and I have never been pulled over in it.

01070004-1.jpg

The cop on the gun just glared at me to get my attention and signaled with his hand to slow down. I :thumbup: him and geared down so he could hear me. There's another guy in town with a Toyota with 33s or 35s done to the tits and he says he gets sent to the DMV to have the bumper height checked every week. Tickets up the yin yang. He also 4x4s and parties out at the lake and drive like an asshole in town.... see bottom of first paragraph.

Using the word I think you meant to insert changes the whole context of the sentence.

Why all the hate for NASCAR?

Nascar is the most equal form of racing anywhere.

The cars are as close to the same as they can be.

When the race is won-you know who the best driver was that day.

Not who has the larger budget.

I am actually a HUGE LeMans fan. SCCA Touring as well.

Needs more races-but that is basically most companies R&D right there.

I never will watch Nascar because of just that. Everyone forced to be the same. I don't think the engines or any of the driveline parts are factory, so who gives a fuck if 'ford' beats 'chev' beats chrysler' anymore? NASCAR has  'sunken to the lowest common denominator' to draw in the most beer drinking BBQ eating rednecks that go to these things for the shiny fireworks.

What happened to the warriors of old? Remember Richard Petty? No 43? Or any drivers back in the 60s or 70s ? Now that was driving skill... powering those huge bombs around the track. Clear cut winners usually. Innovation this year beat next by something else. Well I guess it had to end some time when the speeds got too high. So now you have to settle for 20 cars all within 1/8 second of each other?. :yawn:

Go to You tube and watch some of this vintage 50s, 60s 70s racing for yourselves. Watch out though, you won't look at today's NASCAR in the same way again. Well.... the fireworks are still pretty.

I never will watch Nascar because of just that. Everyone forced to be the same. I don't think the engines or any of the driveline parts are factory, so who gives a fuck if 'ford' beats 'chev' beats chrysler' anymore? NASCAR has  'sunken to the lowest common denominator' to draw in the most beer drinking BBQ eating rednecks that go to these things for the shiny fireworks.

What happened to the warriors of old? Remember Richard Petty? No 43? Or any drivers back in the 60s or 70s ? Now that was driving skill... powering those huge bombs around the track. Clear cut winners usually. Innovation this year beat next by something else. Well I guess it had to end some time when the speeds got too high. So now you have to settle for 20 cars all within 1/8 second of each other?. :yawn:

Go to You tube and watch some of this vintage 50s, 60s 70s racing for yourselves. Watch out though, you won't look at today's NASCAR in the same way again. Well.... the fireworks are still pretty.

I agree that the cars aren't really, well, cars anymore... especially not "stock cars". The gig is that they make all the cars the same so people will focus on the drivers, create celebrities and drama. Though I do not agree with it, it's hard to disagree with the money being thrown around in the sport.

Personally, I think that the best part of NASCAR is when they run around on the road courses. Watched them this year on TV at Infinion, looked like a blast. There's some pretty incredible engineering going on. 

Plus, they don't have the same stupid rules as F1, what's all this crap about the DRS. You can only use it on a certain portion of track, when you're within x seconds of the guy in front of you?

I suppose in a form of racing where passing rarely occurs due to the afore mentioned expenditure fluctuation between teams, they are trying to "even the playing field".

However, the heart of racing to me is that you should be going all out, all the time. Not when the official says it's okay for you to.  

Freeway racing, now that's a rush... When I was younger, and careless. 

Don't put other people's lives at risk for a short run of fun. Take it to the track if you're serious.

Also, if you're caught, straight to the crusher if I remember correctly. (At least here in California, and correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's still in effect)

problem is you cant get up to 145 on any tracks I am near, gotta use the desert for that.

I am not a NASCAR fan by any stretch of the imagination, and I used to dog it constantly. But if you have never been to a NASCAR event, then seriously shut up, cause you dont know what your talking about.

On tv NASCAR in my opinion is stupid, live, its FUCKING EPIC. who doesnt like to be passed by 50,000 plus horsepower at almost 200mph.

and at the end of the day though you dont always know who was the best driver, yes they are close matched cars, but there is also A LOT of favoritism in NASCAR, much much more so than any other automotive sport.

• Like 1

I was speaking of the freeways here in Cali, the highways out in the desert may be a different story but I can't comment on that. I'm sure there's still a risk of putting lives on the line. 

Over here, doesn't matter what time of day or night it is, there are always other cars on the freeway, either on your side or oncoming. On top of that, the freeways suck, they aren't smooth at all. If you're racing, chances are your car is lowered. Hit a pothole, or one those dreaded dips, you can easily pop a tire or swerve when traveling at a high rate of speed.

Mike's right about the tickets. Be a dick and they'll get you for something. They can always find something. Be cool and respectful, they'll just warn you or won't even pull you over in the first place. 

OMFG who in their right mind would race on the freeways in cali!!!!! I have seen the crushed cars too, thats some crazy shit.

additionally what is meant by "grip" in this thread poll?

all forms of racing, even drifting, your relying on "grip" or lack thereof, or control of that defeciency

OMFG who in their right mind would race on the freeways in cali!!!!! I have seen the crushed cars too, thats some crazy shit.

This^

additionally what is meant by "grip" in this thread poll?

all forms of racing, even drifting, your relying on "grip" or lack thereof, or control of that defeciency

I took it as track. Something like time attack. 

As I stated I'm into canyons too and I think that could be considered grip as well.

we have wide and soft country roads here in the valley and cops really dont mind cause there are no ppl out there late at night, so they "look the other way"

ive know a few that got caught at 120 mph and just got told to stay away from houses etc, but if u wreck u will die and hit a tree or pole out in the orchards, and hawks and crows will enjoy ur remains :poop:  :sick:

and the risks of wrecking is high due to critters crossing roads (rabbits, coyotes etc)

Drifting is fun to watch, but sorry MM, it's not racing.  The definition of racing should include finding an outright winner, generally by a measured amount of time/speed/distance.  Drifting is a fun game, but they ought to put their talent into rally racing.  That would be a much better use of it.

• Like 2

Drifting is fun to watch, but sorry MM, it's not racing.  The definition of racing should include finding an outright winner, generally by a measured amount of time/speed/distance.  Drifting is a fun game, but they ought to put their talent into rally racing.  That would be a much better use of it.

Or do it like real grassroots Japanese drifting (read: touge)... do that shit downhill on mountain twisty switchbacks. Id watch that in a heartbeat. 

note I never said Togue, that is real racing.

thats why Ken Block is a shitty driver, just look at his stats.