510 for racing

I'm 6'6 and have the body of a Greek god,

Yeah the Greek god Silenus

:D

This is kinda a weird question,,  but does anybody in this thread happen know what the weather is like in Utah today??

• Like 1
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forza did influence me to get one. However I have not done an RB swap. On the race one I have the stock engine with 200hp. The drift ones have sr20s. I call any car a beater if it's rusty and damaged. I enjoy seeing 510s in perfect condition. I just don't want to have a perfect car get destroyed on the track. I have racing experience with a 90 civic hatch when I was younger (and smaller). I'll most likely use it for autocross so the only thing it can hit is a cone.

This is kinda a weird question,,  but does anybody in this thread happen know what the weather is like in Utah today??

Indeedy, looks like Utah is in for a balmy 81 today.

It's a nice ball chilling 30 where I am.

Anyone know where I can buy a can of striped paint from?

You want to 'race' a 510 because you 'raced' one on a video game????? Your questions show you know nothing about them. This will end up very bad for some poor 510. Please......

Mike I am not the one who is experienced with building datsuns. Fortunately a few of my relatives are VERY skilled when it comes to classics.

Mike I am not the one who is experienced with building datsuns. Fortunately a few of my relatives are VERY skilled when it comes to classics.

Well youre going to have to learn quick. Its a 40yr old car that youre going to be beating on at the track. Things are going to break constantly... Have you any experience racing on a track? Have you any experience turning a wrench?

I dont think its wise for your first introduction to owning a classic car is to make it a track car. There will be way too many issues for you to keep up. Eventually your VERY skilled family will hate you for always calling them over to fix your car. I think you need to look at a newer car to take to the track first. Or buy a 510 and learn how to work on it before you start throwing high revs, horsepower, and a bunch of parts swaps at it. 

When you list "tow hooks" as an upgrade, youre not ready to build a car. 

• Like 3

Forza did influence me to get one. However I have not done an RB swap. On the race one I have the stock engine with 200hp. The drift ones have sr20s. I call any car a beater if it's rusty and damaged. I enjoy seeing 510s in perfect condition. I just don't want to have a perfect car get destroyed on the track. I have racing experience with a 90 civic hatch when I was younger (and smaller). I'll most likely use it for autocross so the only thing it can hit is a cone.

few things here one a 200hp l series is no where near streetable possible but not something your gonna want to drive unless your living at 10k all day long a ka is a good choice but again you really dont need alot of hp in these cars and just because a car is rusty annd not perfect doesn't automatically make it a beater with these cars getting rarer and rarer any rusty car can be fixed and be just as nice its only the ones that people beat into the ground and slide into a guard rail that really die have you ever pushed a rwd car? because fwd is a totally different ballpark 

Buy a first gen miata, cheaper than building a 510 for the track, and no one will hate you when it gets crushed. 

Swapping ANYTHING into a 510 other than an L motor is probably close to 3k MINIMUM to actually get it into the car and running. 

Or you could buy miata and any number of bolt ons (suspension, rollbars, better/easier wheel and tire choices, even turbos -- basically bolt on for miatas as far as I'm concerned). Easy to learn on and more reliable than a 40 year old japanese lunch box. 

I'm not discouraging you from a 510, only from attempting a low budget 510 racer. 

By all means buy a 510 for street use, and if you feel so inclined take it out to the autocross as much as you like. With an L20b and a little suspension you'll be out there making new guys in EVOs, Civic, 240sx's, BRZs look slow. (once you practice a bit).

• Like 2

Well youre going to have to learn quick. Its a 40yr old car that youre going to be beating on at the track. Things are going to break constantly... Have you any experience racing on a track? Have you any experience turning a wrench?  I dont think its wise for your first introduction to owning a classic car is to make it a track car. There will be way too many issues for you to keep up. Eventually your VERY skilled family will hate you for always calling them over to fix your car. I think you need to look at a newer car to take to the track first. Or buy a 510 and learn how to work on it before you start throwing high revs, horsepower, and a bunch of parts swaps at it.  When you list "tow hooks" as an upgrade, youre not ready to build a car.

My first car was a 1990 Honda civic hatch. I had it when I was 15. I swapped a b16a into it and I raced it at California speedway and Infineon.

few things here one a 200hp l series is no where near streetable possible but not something your gonna want to drive unless your living at 10k all day long a ka is a good choice but again you really dont need alot of hp in these cars and just because a car is rusty annd not perfect doesn't automatically make it a beater with these cars getting rarer and rarer any rusty car can be fixed and be just as nice its only the ones that people beat into the ground and slide into a guard rail that really die have you ever pushed a rwd car? because fwd is a totally different ballpark

Well if drifting a Toyota Chaser with an RB isn't considered pushing rwd then I don't know what is

My first car was a 1990 Honda civic hatch. I had it when I was 15. I swapped a b16a into it and I raced it at California speedway and Infineon.

600x464px-LL-a9f33f8e_watch-out-we-got-a
It was a good first car for what it was. I'm not claiming to be the best or even good. I just have some experience with cars

see now i wont hate on hondas i know a few that have been built right and are quick but that doesnt change the fact that a fwd honda is a completely different experience then a rwd 510 not only in terms of driving but in terms of working on one cause lets face it almost any honda engine will bolt into almost any honda and the aftermarket is out there for billions of bolt on options a 510 however is alot more labor intensive and a "kit" for any aspect of a 510 build is just flat out non existant

When you list "tow hooks" as an upgrade, youre not ready to build a car.

Geez, ease up Tristin :)

The addition of tow hooks is pretty innovative and borders on "cutting edge" technology as far as a build goes.

But, back on track, I think the Miata as suggested by SOADG is a better idea.

Geez, ease up Tristin :)The addition of tow hooks is pretty innovative and borders on "cutting edge" technology as far as a build goes.But, back on track, I think the Miata as suggested by SOADG is a better idea.

I considered a miata at one point. I tried to fit in my friends. I got my leg in and that's about it

I considered a miata at one point. I tried to fit in my friends. I got my leg in and that's about it

Not going to fit in a 510 without significant modification either. Some people can squeeze in for daily driving on the street, but I'm 6'5", probably with longer legs than you, and I've had to move my seats (through significant modification) three inches farther back than stock's farthest back setting (the back seat is no longer usable on my side). I have about 2" to spare clearing the headliner with a helmet on, but that will depend mostly on what seats you use. 

"RB swap, stock 200hp... the drift ones have SR20s" Video games have nothing to do with real life experience. Go with what you know. Get a honderp.

• Like 1

."RB swap, stock 200hp... the drift ones have SR20s" Video games have nothing to do with real life experience. Go with what you know. Get a honderp.

Dafuc?

Are you trying to say this isn't real life Mike?

What kind of alternate reality have I found myself in :)

On another note, OP will have enough posts to post in the classifieds shortly.

."RB swap, stock 200hp... the drift ones have SR20s" Video games have nothing to do with real life experience. Go with what you know. Get a honderp.

I can't stand Honda owners. All ghetto and jdm this jdm that. It's a bunch of bull. I want to get in a new area of cars

Not going to fit in a 510 without significant modification either. Some people can squeeze in for daily driving on the street, but I'm 6'5", probably with longer legs than you, and I've had to move my seats (through significant modification) three inches farther back than stock's farthest back setting (the back seat is no longer usable on my side). I have about 2" to spare clearing the headliner with a helmet on, but that will depend mostly on what seats you use.

I had to mount the seat to the floor with the Honda. I sit real tall thanks to my torso