510 for racing

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Again. Miata. Bolt seat to floor. Bolt turbo to engine. Buy chip. Race.

Says the guy who uses a 510 wagon for autocross. That's exactly what I'll be doing with it. I kind of want the old car to be street legal in race spec. Can't do that with a miata in Cali

I thought you wanted to track the car?

If you want to autocross, hell a stock 510 would be usable. 

My car will see maybe a few track days in it's lifetime, and probably 5ish autocrosses a year. But it's never going to be competitive on the track, and will just have to be content sitting in street spec classes on the autocross.

The rest of the time it just cruises... making old people wish they still had one and confusing the hell out of new kids because they can't understand why it's so much cooler than their mustang. 

^

l

l_____ That's what owning a Datsun, and what Ratsun is all about. 

:confused:

It impresses because it's a Datsun. 

I think it's cooler than a Mustang because it's more unique. JDM has nothing to do with it... and I hate the whole jdm thing, why can't it juts be Japanese?

And when did stanced become a word? My car is low, but not stupid low. I'm not dragging ass and losing body kit pieces left and right.

We're cooler because we're Ratsun, and we don't give a f*ck.  :fu:

• Like 1

Then if it's about impressing people I should just stance it and be jdm tyte?

Theres a difference between making people feel nostalgic and trying to impress people. 

Apparently no one here knows what youre trying to accomplish. You want to track the car, but you want 200hp out of a easy to work on engine, you want it super cheap, you only want to autocross it, and now its suppose to be drivable on the street? Am I close?

Heres the breakdown kid:

• If you want to circuit race it, youre going to need power. If you stick with a stock engine youre going to dump money into it to get power. Youre going to hate it on the street. 
  • If you want to autocross it, you dont need much power as its a balance of power and being able to take the turns appropriately
  • If you want to drive it on the street and maybe see a track day or two then buy something and make it reliable. 

It seems like youre trying to mix too many things together to be happy. Its not going to happen for your first classic car. I applaud you for your desire to move out of the shit Honda World, but you cant come to a site devoted to Datsuns, ask highly knowledgeable members their opinion, and then disregard everything we say. We might know a thing or two. We arent trying to scare you off... most of us want to share the enjoyment of owning a Datsun. 

What we dont want to see is an inexperience kid come in, take on too much of a project, and either ruin it with his poor mechanics ability or run the car into the wall (or worse another driver) because you cant handle what youre doing out there yet. 

Either buy a different newer car to do all your racing or buy a 510 to learn on. Then once you know what youre doing behind a wrench, then you can get behind the wheel on the track. There are plenty of people that race Datsuns in the World... but they also arent knew to the game either. 

• Like 1

Theres a difference between making people feel nostalgic and trying to impress people. 

Apparently no one here knows what youre trying to accomplis. You want to track the car, but you want 200hp out of a easy to work on engine, you want it super cheap, you only want to autocross it, and now its suppose to be drivable on the street? Am I close. 

Heres the breakdown kid:

• If you want to circuit race it, youre going to need power. If you stick with a stock engine youre going to dump money into it to get power. Youre going to hate it on the street. 
  • If you want to autocross it, you dont need much power as its a balance of power and being able to take the turns appropriately
  • If you want to drive it on the street and maybe see a track day or two then buy something and make it reliable. 

It seems like youre trying to mix too many things together to be happy. Its not going to happen for your first classic car. I applaud you for your desire to move out of the shit Honda World, but you cant come to a site devoted to Datsuns, ask highly knowledgeable members their opinion, and then disregard everything we say. We might know a thing or two. We arent trying to scare you off... most of us want to share the enjoyment of owning a Datsun. 

What we dont want to see is an inexperience kid come in, take on too much of a project, and either ruin it with his poor mechanics ability or run the car into the wall (or worse another driver) because you cant handle what youre doing out there yet. 

Either buy a different newer car to do all your racing or buy a 510 to learn on. Then once you know what youre doing behind a wrench, then you can get behind the wheel on the track. There are plenty of people that race Datsuns in the World... but they also arent knew to the game either.

I want to get the 510 to wrench on. It will see autocross and track days. Mostly autocross.
  • Like 1

I really tink you should start looking for a Z. As tall as you are a 510 is gonna be a bitch.  With either one of these Datsuns you are NOT going to be setting the auto X world on fire.

With what you want to do to the car your going to be stuck in FP and that's a fast class. Your going to have to spend a ton of money to stay on the podium. Oh and let's not forget you need to know how to drive a real car NOT a video game..

• Like 1

I really tink you should start looking for a Z. As tall as you are a 510 is gonna be a bitch.  With either one of these Datsuns you are NOT going to be setting the auto X world on fire.

With what you want to do to the car your going to be stuck in FP and that's a fast class. Your going to have to spend a ton of money to stay on the podium. Oh and let's not forget you need to know how to drive a real car NOT a video game..

I can drive in a race environment. As I said I've raced at California speedway and Infineon with my civic.