Free/low cost mods that should be done....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

make some door panels if you don't have any.

materials

it's $10 a board and prob need 2 boards for all of em.

some vinyl from joannes. it was $12 for 9 yards? MORE THAN ENOUGH.

get some sponge from a local upholstery shop or micheals. ( i already had some so didnt really search) 

get the smallest staples from homedepot and sand em down halfway.

3m adhesive form home depot.

heat gun.

try getting a beaten up door panel that you have and replicate the size and shape.

cut the hemp boards to check the size and fit of the door panel. cut all holes of course.

get the vinyl out and let it lay in the sun to stretch.

get sponge and spray adhesive on it then lay on the rough sides of the board.

then adhesive sponge onto vinyl and heat gun it.

then pull on the vinyl around the wood and staple with thin staples so it grips the board but not poke through.

then put in your car. and feel great.

I have some pics in my thread but here. was $60 total for me and got all four done and satisfied.

it should look like this layed out.

kickers:

finished product

not the best pic but make sure to test fit!

looks great DatMo!! clean and simple works everytime..

eagle i found that thread straight after i posted that :facepalm:

when im at work i tend to ask more questions and do less self searching 

because of slow internetz. 

jayden ima take your word for it and try n swap the leafs sometime this week!

and big thanks to izzo for PMing me and tellin me every lil thing i need for leds in my gauge cluster :)

Clean your brakes.

Methylated spirits is a good brake cleaner and a cheaper alternative than spray on cleaner.  Never use petrol as it leaves a waxy coating on your brakes and reduces braking efficiency

Use a cheap paintbrush and an empty plastic container to catch all the crap you rinse off your brake shoes and wheel cylinders.

Once clean, I generally use a piece of of 240 grade wet and dry sandpaper and lightly scuff the shoes and the inside of the drum.

Wipe down with a clean rag when finished.

The above method can also be applied to your front disc pads and rotors.

• Like 1

Detail the underside of your fenders and rear wheel arches with Matt black spray paint.

I generally use a cheap ass spray can (rattle pack) that I get from the local auto parts supply chain. Costs a couple of dollars.

Take wheels off and hose the dirt off.

You can cover your struts and rear shocks with Aluminium foil to stop them getting paint on them.

Ends up looking pretty good and if you have a nice wheel/tyre combo, accentuates them even more.

Detail the underside of your fenders and rear wheel arches with Matt black spray paint.

I generally use a cheap ass spray can (rattle pack) that I get from the local auto parts supply chain. Costs a couple of dollars.

Take wheels off and hose the dirt off.

You can cover your struts and rear shocks with Aluminium foil to stop them getting paint on them.

Ends up looking pretty good and if you have a nice wheel/tyre combo, accentuates them even more.

Another option is roofing tar and or......slathered mine all up after some repairs

if your looking for performance and your already running a 32/36 you can alter the linkage to make both barrels open simultaneously 

About 50 bucks....decided against it and bought a 38/38

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=6942

If one ever replaces/repairs the rockers......inject some parrafin wax, excellent rust proofing from the inside

P4040003_zps1b202fd7.jpg

Neighbour had the gun......sooooo...it was rather cheap.... :D

THIS!  Anytime anything is off the car just take the time to clean/paint it. free, or the price of a can of paint.  Seriously, not hard and makes such a difference to the look of the car and working on it in the future. even if its the undercarriage or frame.

Its funny, I have recieved so many parts free/cheap its almost like every mod on my datsun is free or cheap.

If you have a 200mm flywheel and youre already changing the clutch it usually costs nothing more than a standard clutch kit to get a roadster pressure plate for extra clamping force.

A free but illegal mod is go to yer local target and get a cup holder off one of their busted shopping cart.  My friend works at target so I techinally didnt steal it, but it fits perfect on the 510 glove box with a little trimming.

Notice cup holder in background

AqqbGgB.png

I've done the 720 to 620 leaf swap....direct bolt on. Changed nothing but the leafs

Jayden when we did mine we used the 720 shackles and the 620 front leaf spring bolt.  Also when doing this swap you can get the energy suspension poly bushings for a 4x4 720 and they work great.

good idea to paint the underside of the fenders.

Gonna get some leak matt black rustoleum and get er done next weekend.

also buying my camber plates next week. excitingggg

should i just get a kitchen sponge and water it up and wipe the dirt off?

or get anything on there then wipe it?

i cant use the hose since the car's in the garage and can't move :(

Get some house hold degreaser so it gets really clean so the rustoleum sticks good mine started chiping couples months after

should i use leak seal or rustoleum? ( matt black paint) 

• Like 1

Tranny tunnel is a good mod on the 510 wagon, but only necessary if you want it LOW, and if you do it my way it's expensive. GreenGoons was probably the most cost effective way I've seen.

Mess with the wiring in your engine bay, just move it around to get it out of site as much as possible. Especially plug wires, personally I think they look best wrapped around the front of the valve cover. If yours don't quite make it a new setis t horribly expensive.

Tailpipes: they get rusty real easy. No need to find a new tip, just sand paper the crap out of it... Cool finish and easier than trying to find a chrome pos to go over it.

Check the gaskets on your side markers and tail lights. If anyone's done repairs on your cars chances are they have overspray on them. It's nit picky, but taking a razor blade and scratching off old paint makes them look pretty good.

Replace grommets on your door locks if they rattle. Also replace the grommets in your fire wall and plug any holes, keeps the cold air out.

Get a cheapo set of water temp and oil pressure gauges, mechanical is better IMO.

When you wash parts take a scotch brite to the rust screws and bolts, especially the head.

Avoid black paint in the engine bay, makes it harder to see leaks...

• 1 month later...

Clean your fuse box and replace all the fuses.

For the Ratsun version, get enough white vinegar in a container to cover the fuse box and let it soak for a couple of hours.

Scrub clean with a toothbrush then rinse with warm water and dry and put new fuses in.

For the uber clean version, if you can get access to a bead blaster that is my preferred method.

My fuse box before bead blasting.

4a4de637.jpg

And after.

3bcead69.jpg

I did the tail light relay harness mod. on my 73 Z, not bad for 60 bucks. I already did the headlight relay mod but i wasn't ready to tackle the tail light/ turn signal wiring. 
Tail light output is much brighter than it was and the turn signal switch doesn't smoke when i use it  :thumbup:  flash doesn't help but before the relay the lights barley looked like they were on.

20130718_211853-1_zpsed388a12.jpg