Free/low cost mods that should be done....

Thought this might be a good idea for us ratsuners

not sure where to post this... but i think it would be nice for people to post/add to and just browse through when your itching to work on your ride....

Plastic dip side vents, front grill and other little odd and ends to spruce her up a bit:)

Can cost about 7 bucks...

EFD36599-D73C-4954-B550-6D7210D3F5E6-673

Please add to or post what you have done on the cheap/free :).

• Like 1
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 on the LEDs.  Also while your ordering them pic up one for the dome light.

Its a useful skill to know how to polish stuff.  Not hard either just time consuming. For instance I did these carbs with only 3 grades of sand paper, steel wools and some metal polish. And you can use the polish and paper to polish other things.

AcYwSTb.jpg

7MGUjLg.jpg?1

Also I did a write up for an AUX input.  Works easiest for mono AM but could easily be adapted for stereo with a little know how.  Total cost: $1.45 (if you already have tools lol).  Link here:  http://community.ratsun.net/topic/55621-make-yer-very-own-aux-input/

Other free mods off the top of my head arent really mods but more of maintenance.

Wash buff and wax your car, and vacuum the shit out of it.

Keep it in good running shape too. Its free to check your timing, tune you carb, adjust your valves, check your fluids and almost free to change them. This is way more important than anything cosmetic IMO.    

Another "free" maintance thing that goes along with old datsuns is to get under the dashboard and take out all the old splices and un-needed wiring from old stereos, alarms ect and solder+shrink wrap all connections that arent already.  Most datsuns have some pretty attrocious wiring, and all it really takes to fix most issues is a VOM and some solder.

I have a 510 and got some 280zx struts and brakes for free from the PO of my car.  If you have a welder and ginder its free to swap the springs from the stock 510 struts onto the 280 struts.  ZX brakes are an inch bigger, vented and have a better caliper design, and the struts are shorter with a little more camber built in.  I dropped the lower spring collar a few inches and cut a coil out the springs.  I call them poor mans coil overs.

Used KA24E/DE oil pumps have 13% longer rotors inside for more volume. Will increase low speed and idle pressure and have more volume available if you have a spray bar. Bolt right on no mods needed. The easiest ones to find are the S13 KA24E and the early D-21 pickup with Z24i, KA24E and KA24DE motors. I have one on all my L and Z series motors. New they are around $100, used should be close to free. My 180Km L20B had a hot idle pressure of 17PSI. With no other change but a KA oil pump, it rose to 29PSI. 

'79 and '80 L20B and '80 Z20E Matchbox distributor and matching low impedance coil are free to $100. Once set, you can forget ever having to buy and instal, gap, set or clean points ever again. As points wear the dwell and the timing drift so this is a great time and money saver. If that wasn't enough, the output voltage is much higher so you can gap your plugs 0.038" to 0.042" to take advantage of a longer fatter spark. Just be sure your cap and plug wires are in good shape for this.

Convert to internally regulated alternators. Car and truck alternators after '78 were internally regulated If you have, say, an early 620 and '78 or '79 alt will fit and with a few wires joined can get rid of the external buzz box on the inner fender. The internal regulators are solid state so nothing to wear out. Later cars can also use the later internally regulated alternators. This is close to a drop in swap but there are some wires need to join together to deactivate the external regulator and  allow the new one to charge properly. The gain is an increase in reliability. If you feel brave enough you can add a newer higher output alternator. One of my 710 has a 90 amp S13 alternator the other has a 100 amp one from an '01 Altima. The pulley needs to be swapped and the plug spliced into the stock harness. Both of mine had to also be converted from external to internal regulator but physically, the alternators bolted right on to the L series.

Flashing side markers. By joining a couple of wires at each side marker they can very easily be made to flash on and off with the turn signals. This gives added protection as cars in your blind spot can see them flashing. I did this on my 620 and it was a very cool effect.

• Like 1

720 leafs in a 521....for the lows......think about 60  bucks for leafs....4 inch blocks made from scrap .....dumped datsun truck....

IMG_20130509_193451_zps05aa96ff.jpg

while your at that ......get a 520 driveshaft ... one piece.....no mo carrier bearing issues...

while your at that ... saturn alt upgrade...... 30 bucks used alt?   if u do it,  grab the ka pump d mike speaks of ...for 50 bux u could have two of the best things ever..... more voltage and more oil circulation....

• Like 3

Flashing side markers. By joining a couple of wires at each side marker they can very easily be made to flash on and off with the turn signals. This gives added protection as cars in your blind spot can see them flashing. I did this on my 620 and it was a very cool effect.

never thought of this but i like the idea.....steering box is good mod ...not to tight...

on the goon side of things .... clearance the tranny tunnel for pumpkin and drivesaft clearance...green goon wagon thread has a good example of modding the tunnel with out much trouble.... also see laecons goon thread and son of a datsun guy for a fabricated transmission tunnel...

philcas's exhaust tunnel is a gem .... while your at it open up the hole in the irs subframe for exhaust routing...both can be done in a day .....

Disc/Drum guys:  Adjust your rear brakes.  Makes a big difference.

Drum/Drum guys:  Get some discs on the front.  The Klotz kit was the single best improvement on my brother's 521.

No point in going fast or turning quick if you can't stop.

eagle:

ive been meaning to replace my bulbs, too.

720 leafs in a 521....for the lows......think about 60  bucks for leafs....4 inch blocks made from scrap .....dumped datsun truck....

IMG_20130509_193451_zps05aa96ff.jpg

while your at that ......get a 520 driveshaft ... one piece.....no mo carrier bearing issues...

while your at that ... saturn alt upgrade...... 30 bucks used alt?   if u do it,  grab the ka pump d mike speaks of ...for 50 bux u could have two of the best things ever..... more voltage and more oil circulation....

ive got the 720 leaf springs for my 620 (uninstalled), but im wondering if i have to use different shackles (d21?) and/or what bushings? (620/720/d21?)

and driven the disc conversion isnt really low buck but definitely worth it

eagle:

ive been meaning to replace my bulbs, too.

ive got the 720 leaf springs for my 620 (uninstalled), but im wondering if i have to use different shackles (d21?) and/or what bushings? (620/720/d21?)

and driven the disc conversion isnt really low buck but definitely worth it

I've done the 720 to 620 leaf swap....direct bolt on. Changed nothing but the leafs

• Like 1

Let your floorboards rust = weight reduction, abnd you don't have to clean the interior, just drop garbage through the floor.

Cut holes in your car, every hole makes it lighter.

Or add weight to car, makes car lower, low=better aerodynamics and handling=racecar.

Refer to diagram, same basic principle:

w544p.png

• Like 1

make some door panels if you don't have any.

materials

it's $10 a board and prob need 2 boards for all of em.

some vinyl from joannes. it was $12 for 9 yards? MORE THAN ENOUGH.

get some sponge from a local upholstery shop or micheals. ( i already had some so didnt really search) 

get the smallest staples from homedepot and sand em down halfway.

3m adhesive form home depot.

heat gun.

try getting a beaten up door panel that you have and replicate the size and shape.

cut the hemp boards to check the size and fit of the door panel. cut all holes of course.

get the vinyl out and let it lay in the sun to stretch.

get sponge and spray adhesive on it then lay on the rough sides of the board.

then adhesive sponge onto vinyl and heat gun it.

then pull on the vinyl around the wood and staple with thin staples so it grips the board but not poke through.

then put in your car. and feel great.

I have some pics in my thread but here. was $60 total for me and got all four done and satisfied.

it should look like this layed out.

kickers:

kickerpanels_zps66c7e30a.jpg

finished product

doorpanels_zpse95bc83e.jpg

not the best pic but make sure to test fit!

door_zps48cb1330.jpg

• Like 2

Thought this might be a good idea for us ratsuners

not sure where to post this... but i think it would be nice for people to post/add to and just browse through when your itching to work on your ride....

Plastic dip side vents, front grill and other little odd and ends to spruce her up a bit:)

Can cost about 7 bucks...

EFD36599-D73C-4954-B550-6D7210D3F5E6-673

Please add to or post what you have done on the cheap/free :).

do you have any front view pics?

I might do this. really cool!