BC to Canby? Plan on some extra time...

This is nuts - the Interstate 5 bridge over the Skagit river in Mount Vernon collapsed this evening. Apparently an oversized rig was following it's pilot car too close and there wasn't enough room for it to clear. I5 is going to be closed down for quite some time through there so no doubt it's going to be a traffic nightmare for people who make that trip.

I heard a few people were rescued and possibly sent to the hospital, but it doesn't sound like there were any fatalities. There were a couple of vehicles in the river, but it sounds like they were all picked up.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Report-I-5-bridge-collapses-over-Skagit-River-cars-in-water-208758631.html

052313bridgecollapse10.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Yeah my first Canby I missed the boat by one ca.r. Had to wait 6 hrs and got there at 11:30 at night. They aren't cheap either. fuckers. Hood Canal was nice and twisty though!!!

I have only been on that boat once,never again...

The drive on whidby is pretty nice, ferry ride to Everett isnt long either

Exactly.  It will still for sure make the drive longer, but it's a rad route and might still be about the same time as going on the detours they're setting up. 

I wonder if there is anyway we can bill that transport company for the bridge damage.. It's only going to be a mere $18-ish million. Maybe you guys can legalize crack cocaine to pay for it?

I wonder if there is anyway we can bill that transport company for the bridge damage.. It's only going to be a mere $18-ish million. Maybe you guys can legalize crack cocaine to pay for it?

I see a lawsuit by the people that ended up in the water and a hefty fine from the state in the trucking company's future.

I imagine in the next two weeks they'll sort something out. Maybe not fix the bridge but have an alternate route hashed out.

I'm sure you're right but with 71k cars per day being rerouted it won't be any fun for those who have to deal with it. Personally, I'd go the Whidbey route or Hwy 9 - I've always liked the twists and turns up in that area. Either way, just plan on a little extra time. If you enjoy driving as I do, it's just an opportunity to see some different roads.

Well 71K reasons per day to get er done too.

Widby Island/route 9 is that down from Pt. Angeles? I only did that once and if so the corners were great, course I had my sedam autio.... :poop:

Whidby is going to come from anacortes or across from 5 on highway 20. If you take the ferry to p.a. then you will be on 101 going thru hood canal. Highway 9 is east of 5 and runs into 522 in Everett and gets you back on 5. All are pretty nice drives