Skibs 240Z

Skib

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds about right from what i have read about turbos (super street import tuner stuff like that ) you dont want to rebuild a turbo its just asking for trouble

I might just call up Forged Performance and see what it would cost me to have them swap the housings for me, cuz I know Im going to get SUPER pissed trying to get the bolts out lol. They sponsor our Z club so they might cut me a deal.

I might just call up Forged Performance and see what it would cost me to have them swap the housings for me, cuz I know Im going to get SUPER pissed trying to get the bolts out lol. They sponsor our Z club so they might cut me a deal.

In my experience rebuilding turbos it's not the bolts that get you its separating the hot side housing from the center housing. Cast to cast, corroded, heated and cooled for 20 years? ::shivers::. I now boil (I guess tech fry? lol)them in penetrating oil, that works well.

I have to ask, if you would pay to have them sep the housing for you why was rebuilding it never an option? You could rebuild the thing yourself, kit is cheap. You already have the z31 turbo and what not but I'm curious to know why the rebuild path wasn't taken prior.

In my experience rebuilding turbos it's not the bolts that get you its separating the hot side housing from the center housing. Cast to cast, corroded, heated and cooled for 20 years? ::shivers::. I now boil (I guess tech fry? lol)them in penetrating oil, that works well.

I have to ask, if you would pay to have them sep the housing for you why was rebuilding it never an option? You could rebuild the thing yourself, kit is cheap. You already have the z31 turbo and what not but I'm curious to know why the rebuild path wasn't taken prior.

the hot is exactly what I don't want to do, lol Iv already been there before.

rebuilding a T3 was the original plan on my build, time was running close so i sold it and the rebuild kit and got this one that was saposta have 50mi on a rebuild. now I have the T3 from the Z31 that works fine and just have to swap the housing. I dont want to take any more time or spend any more money that i have too, this was originally going to be a 7 day swap.....its been over a month now thanks to all the problems Iv run into like this

it was sposta only have 50mi on it :mad:

iv come to the conclusion that someone did a bad rebuild

Couldn't have been you though, right? ;)

You said it was fine at the beginning, had almost no shaft play, but after you ran it, it now has TONS of shaft play.

It will be interesting to see if the bearing is shot when it gets pulled apart. It could be the oil feed line wasn't supplying enough oil due to carbon buildup. Can you blow through the oil feed line easily with compressed air?

interwebz be fixed! :fu:

I dropped my turbos off at Forged, and should have them back hopefully before the weekend. I usually hate to take anything to a shop but Im sick of it :glare: plus I get a discount :D

If you get her fixed I would you to come with us to the LKQ. We are going to the Portland one on 111th first then maybe out to Tigard. :cool:

man its about time this damn thing was finished, iv had everything from destroyed bolt holes, to melting couplers, and even a catastrophically failing turbo (ill post some pics of that today)

Im getting the new turbo clocked and in today, thanks to Kyle who hooked it up with a Z31 T3 thats now frankensteined with the 280ZX T3 to make it all work :D

Baxters should have my new coupler in tomorrow and then I should be good to go.

I was listening to your exhaust vid and it sounds like you have a dead hole or severely missing on a hole or two, whats up with that?

lol all kinds of fun stuff, that was the first fire and there where plenty of leaks + no tuning yet

and of course no project would be complete without at least one busted knuckle

042709_1514.jpg

I got my new coupler today and Im hoping to have the oil return like and exhaust buttoned back up tomorrow and ready to fire again