Need advice, might go to the dark side.

So I've been toying with something the last year or so.  I love my 510, but even after I picked up the new big motor for it, it's on the back burner, and as much as I hate to admit it, I'm getting tired of her.  I just don't have the excitement I used to have when I put her together for the first time and drove her to Canby.  I still have tons of Datsun bits, and I would like to get a 510 wagon at some point.  

But for going fast, I want something more, well, aerodynamic.  I know what you're thinking.  A Z car.  Problem is, I'm just not a fan of the Z car's lines.  They look good, but proportionally I'm not that happy with it.

What I want, is a first gen RX7, minus the rotary.  There's one locally for 500 obo on cl, I may consider picking it up.

The problem is, that will only leave me with the hardbody (not a technical Datsun) and the 2wd chumpcar hardbody.  Meaning, I will not have any true Datsuns should I sell my 510, which isn't worth shit right now as it's mostly apart.  Rolling shell, a bit of prep work done, bodyman has a rear quarter almost ready to go to replace the bad section.  So basically picking up an RX is about the same as the 510 now.  Though I do have a few more cool parts on the 510.

But here's the real question, would it be received well?  Would Ratsun shun me?  Would I be destined to get a handle like 'mater?  The horror.  Please advise.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to see a build like this...DO IT!  As for the 510, if your happy with the price then sell it.  Buy a 510 wagon, now you will be excited about working on the car again.  With me once you loose interest in working on a certain car you have its hard to jump back to it.  Just sits there.  Just my two cents.

As for the RX7, that car is awesome!  I can just see this guy at a red light pull up next to some rich person in their nice ass car and he just smokes them.  I bet they all hate it!  :rofl:

who gives a shit what ratsun thinks! do what you want .

I would not sell your 510 just putt it a way for now trust me you will miss it

This.

Do what you want, and keep all fucks to yourself.

Very true, but I don't want to go join another forum with a bunch of random dudes! ;)

What are you sayin', we're not random? Besides why would you go anywhere else? There's a Non Datsun Cars and Project forum right here! Lots of peeps here dig RX7's, myself included.

Besides, you're like furniture here, if you left, no one would have anywhere to sit.

I'm going to look at it at 12 today.  I may end up keeping the 510 too, certainly not going to sell it if I can't get anything for it.  I suppose one more car won't hurt, lol.  I've been trying to keep the herd down.  I'll be back at 4 if I get the RX7.

What are you sayin', we're not random? Besides why would you go anywhere else? There's a Non Datsun Cars and Project forum right here! Lots of peeps here dig RX7's, myself included.

Besides, you're like furniture here, if you left, no one would have anywhere to sit.

:rofl:

save the 510 and get the rx7 then later if you still have no feelings for the 510 then sell it

do a build thread in the non datsun and we will all still love you

I love the line

SOMETHING ABOUT THIS CAR MAKES YOU WANT TO BE A DICK

• Like 1

Dont' sell the 510 unless you are 100% sure......I've had friends get rid of their dimes just to buy another a few years down the road.....

....if they would've kept the first one.....it would be in show room condition by now.

Just put it aside and if the spark for it goes out..........sell it.........

I'm willing to bet that within the next year or so......that spark turns into a four alarm fire!!

I agree with keepin the 510 and gettin the rx7 too. rz7's are good lookin cars and i would definitely be following the build. I mean at least you're staying Asian haha :thumbup:

Oh and I'm sure the 510 fire will come back soon. I almost lost steam for my 620 when i bought a motorcycle project but after i finished the bike my datsun fire was back and stronger than ever

Not want the rotary? What!? Have you ever driven an RX-7? The rotaries are awesome, sooo smooth right up to redline, you don't realize your at 7000 rpm's. Plus when they're ported they make the cool brap-brap-brap-brap exhaust noise. I think that with a V8 you'd ruin the RX7. Much like the 510, much of the fun is due to the light weight. Throw a heavy V8 in the nose and you're probably going to ruin the car. Sure, it might be fast, but it's probably going to handle like crap.

I had a 1st gen RX7, and loved it. Ergonomically it's one if the best cars ever made, everything is exactly where it's supposed to be. Just feels good to sit in and drive.

The engine bay on a 1st gen RX7 is small, because the rotary is so tiny, a straight six would never fit.

Contrary to popular myth, the apex seals on a rotary CAN last a long time. They fail because people treat their engines like crap, or they overboost the turbo's, and blow the seals out. If you take care of the engine they can last a long time. Mine had something like 150k miles on it before I sold it, original motor, never opened.

I still have the original twin dizzy 12a in my 1972 rx2 with over a 100k. So as for the they dont last very long excuse, that will almost always come from someone who has never owned  a rotary. As the previous post states, they are smooth and love to rev and are easy to rebuild should you ever have to. Rotary motors are the replacement for displacement. And, they all came stock with as a gas guzzling 4 barrel carb, My next classic will be another rotary Rx4 unless I find a 610 first. I will never sell my Rx2, Mazda makes a solid car, makes my Datsuns sound like rattling tin sheds, but I will always have a "tin shed" in my carport next to my other cars, there just to pretty to not appreciate. Keep the dime and buy the Mazda, you wont be sorry.

Target acquired!!  Need some new spark plugs, it's getting spark but no fire.  Pulled one plug and it was caked with carbon nastiness.  I think she'll probably run with a new set of plugs.  Apparently it ran 3 or 4 years ago but wouldn't pass emissions.  Relatively complete car, few minor dings, but picked it up for 400 bucks with a 12A and a 5 speed.  I may play around with the rotary, guy said it ran strong when it did run.  Eight million vacuum line bullshit things hanging out in the engine bay though.  Definitely don't like that.

rx7_zps2b078e08.jpg

• Like 1

Really cool! After watching that vid, I was looking on CL for one! Like I need another project.

As far as selling your 510, be sure to get a goon first. If I find out you are Datsunless, I promise to bring my F10 over and park it in your front yard until you get another Datsun. I can't think of a worse threat than that.

I'm looking forward to seeing a vid of the RX running in your driveway.

OT to RX7s, but I got my 510 running Friday morning. I did a lap around town today, but started smelling hot wiring smell, so brought it home. I need to check over a bunch of things before I try leaving town in it.

Len

Haha, awesome Len!  Speaking of which, Regy says he say you at Pull and Save, but you still haven't come to see me at Cheney NAPA!  You'll have to stop by, but not tomorrow, I have Sun/Mons off. ;)  I'm definitely not selling the 510 yet.  However, I will look forward to being able to drive to work in the RX should I manage to get it going tomorrow.

not a bad buy! those things are so great. my dad just bought an 82' a few months ago, and it is EPIC! and hell, if you don't like the 12A...... L-series w/side drafts..... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :devil:

ANYWAY! great buy, and i hope too see a build thread on it soon! :thumbup:

My first car was a 83 FB and I fucking loved it, sold it to a buddy who lets me drive it sometimes and im torn between building a widebody one and starting a 240z project.

Keeping a rotary NA is a lot more reliable then when you turbo them.

Between my FB and my FD the FB was way more reliable and easy to work with.

Carbs and Rotary = terrible has mileage haha

I talked to Reg just a little bit after the memorial service Friday. I'm glad I did. That was the first I heard you had moved to the Cheney store. After I do enough test drives to work at the farm, going to Cheney would be a great First Longer Trip for the 510! I suppose I'll turn it over to Reg right away so he can fix the door and fender. Even though I drove it for a couple of years looking like that, even by my low standards, the damage is pretty ugly.

Somewhere around here I think I have a tuner magazine with a write-up on a rotary engine in a 510. I remember getting excited when I read it, so maybe I shouldn't look too hard for the mag. Another good thing about 1st gen RXs is they do show up at P&S now and then. Usually missing the engine and seats. Has Joe messed with rotaries much? Since he is into weird stuff like NSUs, it seems like something he may have experience with.

Len