Roadblocks

Eomund

Well, currently in the process of my swap as I had the L20b delivered Friday. One little stall however. The long block I ordered didn't come with the timing.chain cover. And the L18 faceplate I have is about an inch too short. Now I have to source one. If anyone out there has a source for me, please point me in its direction.

Thanks!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

L20B block is taller by 20-something millimeters, compared to the L16-18-24-26-28. Consequently, you can expect the L20B to have a longer timing chian and longer dizzy/oil pump drive spindle/shaft whatever you'd like to call it. Also has bigger main bearings if I remember correctly. Rod bearings are the same. Flywheel is different too, atleast from an L16 (my L16 had a 5 bolt and the L20B is a 6 bolt). Everything else should interchange.

I've sourced a timing chain cover that I'm picking up this weekend. I need a new oil pump shaft though? From the work that I've started, It looked like the same size and mounting locations. I was going to use the same distributor setup from the L18 if I could. I guess a list of all I need to replace for this longer block would be great.

Thanks for the info guys.

Well.... I've been doing some digging when I was supposed to be working, and found some good information. The Oil pump spindle part number is the same for the L16 and the L20b. For anyone that might want it is 15040-21001.

The all they did for the timing chain cover was extend it a bit, which is obvious by how it has the original bolts and an extra set right above it.

If you want the part numbers:

L16 Timing chain cover: 13501-A8600

L20b Timing chain cover: 13501-U6000

I did order a new distributor as mine has been beat up pretty good over it's life, but is the same for all models from what I can tell. Thanks for all the info. If there is something that I'm leaving out, I'd be glad to know.

Thanks!

I did order a new distributor as mine has been beat up pretty good over it's life, but is the same for all models from what I can tell. Thanks for all the info. If there is something that I'm leaving out, I'd be glad to know.

Thanks!

Did you get a EI dizzy,(matchbox)??

Very good upgrade

Woops I was wrong about the oil pump drive. I assumed one was longer than the other since the front cover is taller. Sorry for the disinformation!

Nah man no worries. My Dad had the same thought. I'm just happy I dont need it as it's a $75 part.

Did you get a EI dizzy,(matchbox)??

Very good upgrade

Ya it is. It'll be interesting learning how to hook it up. Never installed a electronic dizzy before onto a points setup. I'll do the homework.

"Ya it is. It'll be interesting learning how to hook it up. Never installed a electronic dizzy before onto a points setup. I'll do the homework."

"B" terminal on the matchbox distributor gets Battery power, in parallel with the positive terminal on the coil.

"C" terminal on the matchbox distributor goes to Coil minus.

The body of the distributor need a good ground to the cylinder head.  The M6 bolt that goes throught the front of the cylinder head into the front timing chain cover is a good place to do this

Woops I was wrong about the oil pump drive. I assumed one was longer than the other since the front cover is taller. Sorry for the disinformation!

Nah man no worries. My Dad had the same thought. I'm just happy I dont need it as it's a $75 part.

Ya it is. It'll be interesting learning how to hook it up. Never installed a electronic dizzy before onto a points setup. I'll do the homework.

Lspindles001Large.jpg

If I were to guess, I would say there was an L16/18 spindle, L20b/Z20/22 spindle, and a Z24 spindle, but I am guessing.

Dunno about the.others but I confirmed the l20b spindle is the same as the l16/l18. Same part number and measured size. I measured the distance on the 2 timing chain covers. Maybe they account for a different dizzy?

Dunno about the.others but I confirmed the l20b spindle is the same as the l16/l18. Same part number and measured size. I measured the distance on the 2 timing chain covers. Maybe they account for a different dizzy?

There is spacer between the dizzy and the timing cover on the motors I have built, I don't know if other motors run shorter spacers.