dat attack

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bush-scratching-head.jpg

hi,

My name is ____________ & i own a 1973 1200 coupe/sunny.  Im a noob & looking forward to being a Ratsun member (hence my 1st post).

What are you guys using for mufflers?Want mine louder but not like a farm truck

That being said....some are using Borla or Magnaflow. A few have fabbed up their own muffler.

There's a few thread here covering muffler questions & suggestions.

in regards to 'performance,' from everything ive read "turbo" mufflers are the best.

the shop i had to my exhaust was so cool that they welded up the system all the way to before the muffler,

then held up different mufflers as i revved the motor to see which muffler i liked.

If you can weld, steelwooldirect.com has the special high temp stainless steel wool made for packing mufflers. You can't use regular steel wool, because the oil used in the manufacturing burns. , That's what I used in mine, I want to get this done so I can hear it

Magnaflow's sound great. This is a '74 620 with an L18, Weber, and shorty header on a magnaflow 

My 620 on the dyno. L20B, header, Weber on a Flowmaster Super 10. Everyone seems to like it, but I think it's just too raw. It would sound better with a resonator.

Not a 1200, but it gives you an idea of kind-of what to expect between exhausts. 

Here's my A15 powered 210. It was fun little sucker. Weber, freshly rebuilt top end, 2'' exhaust on a turbo muffler. Not very loud at all. 

http://youtu.be/BoUZDTeVWsM (You'll have to click the link, Ratsun only allows embedding 2) 

most any of the cheap mufflers seem to sound ok, i have a header going thru  2.25" exhaust going thru a big dog muffler, i did not want a tinning sound, and it turned out pretty good, i would stay away from cherry bombs or glass packs, too high pitched and attract the wrong kinda of attention.

Take a look at the page for porter, and listen to them, they have a very nice sound and definitly are not cheaply made,if you look on the videos page,they were on one of those automotive shows, and they get very detailed on what goes into them, they were my first choice if I hadn't made my own. Very unique sound

For a 1200 run a resonator just past the header, a "cherry bomb" will work for this, and a turbo muffler at the stock location. Knocks the noise down nicely but still gives a decent sound at 3/4-wot without a nasty highway drone. No noticeable loss of power for an A series engine if going to 2" exhaust and super quiet at idle, doesn't start getting loud until ~4000RPM (with Weber). Pretty cheap overall and works decently. I've run this setup on both my old 1200 fastback and my current B210.

hi,

What are you guys using for mufflers?Want mine louder but not like a farm truck

Straight pipe with a resonator.  its loud but not to loud, has a good throaty brap to it.  coming straight out the ass end of the car pointing behind you, it will echo off the ground a bit.  A small tip to point it up in the air will make it better.

most any of the cheap mufflers seem to sound ok, i have a header going thru  2.25" exhaust going thru a big dog muffler, i did not want a tinning sound, and it turned out pretty good, i would stay away from cherry bombs or glass packs, too high pitched and attract the wrong kinda of attention.

I don't know if I can agree with that too much. My truck had a cherry bomb on it when i got it and it sounded pretty good. It leaked at the manifold a little so it was kinda raspy. 

My 620 with a straight pipe turned out of the cab. Pretty awesome. Just super noisy. I ran it like that for a week or so while I was waiting on parts to come in. 

• Like 1

:thumbup: Hi,

Thanks for the repsonse.Perhaps a little info about the car.73 Datsun 1200 coupe/bone stock 1200 with 5 speed and 1 1/2 exhaust.Looking for a 80s monza exhaust note.As for the noob comment ok.

My name is Ron and I am from Lethbridge,Alberta Canada.And it is newb/newbie not noob at least it is up here.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Back in the day... 1973, I used a 36" glass pack blank (doesn't clamp on, it's welded on) with 1 3/4 exhaust tubing on my 1200.  It had that Monza sound you are looking for.  Using a glass pack as a resonator in front of a Flowmaster muffler works well also.

• Like 1