Just bought a 521

Rockalot

Hello, new guy here.

Just picked up my first 521. Was shopping around looking for a 521 or 620 and ended up with this!

Primary reason for purchase was for a daily driver getting better mileage than my 2500 Ram Diesel.

901827_4620087825687_1569671905_o.jpg

I believe I have all the parts, in two boxes as the previous owner was getting it ready for paint. Cab is finished and the bed is partially completed.

I was thinking on going rat with it, laying down the original color w/a faux patina effect.

What do you think? Lower a little more, big white walls on the original rims. Maybe put my biz name on the side, distressed, giving it an old shop truck look.

So far I know it need some brake work, have to pump it and maybe a RAD cap because it pukes when the thermostat opens.

Any ways, looking forward to resto/modding this baby and driving it!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice!! :thumbup:  :thumbup:

The brakes on my 521 are the same :lol: . By the 3rd pump they are solid.

Welcome aboard and enjoy your stay

ps...............keep posting pics :sneaky:  Oh and find yourself a dogleg 5spd. Only minor mods needed to put in. You'll love it!!

Very nice!! :thumbup:  :thumbup:

The brakes on my 521 are the same :lol: . By the 3rd pump they are solid.

Welcome aboard and enjoy your stay

ps...............keep posting pics :sneaky:  Oh and find yourself a dogleg 5spd. Only minor mods needed to put in. You'll love it!!

Thank you Jayden.

So you think its not worth spending any time on my brakes?

Thanks for the tip, what does the dogleg come out of?

Going out to take more pics!

My shops in sac and I have some parts from a crashed 521 if you need anything for it.

Thank you Tristin & Wayno.

Skib I would love that, where's your shop?

More pics...

887249_4620579117969_1351974441_o.jpg

885030_4620579517979_1726077037_o.jpg

906581_4620579237972_883142349_o.jpg

So I'm still learning this truck and I believe it has an 1800 in it and I was told the rear bumpers were sorta rare.

Yeah, everyone wants bumperettes. If you look at the passenger-side of the block it will tell you which it is. It will be near the bottom and between plugs 3/4. If it says L18 then your info is correct. Also, check out which head it is.

Yeah, everyone wants bumperettes. If you look at the passenger-side of the block it will tell you which it is. It will be near the bottom and between plugs 3/4. If it says L18 then your info is correct. Also, check out which head it is.

Looking at the passenger side of the block I see L20b, looks like it was scribed on rather than stamped.

Also I see "W58".

I have no side mirrors so I will have to get that sorted before I can drive it.

In the boxes of parts that came with it is one trucker style mirror that looks like the perfect size and looks hella old too.

What came stock on these?

So L20 is a great block; its the 2.0L and larger than what you were told. The W58 is known as the "smog head" and is decent. If you want to look around for an A87/U67 head you can swap them for a bit more performance, but if the W58 isnt giving you any problems you should be fine. 

I believe the larger trucker flag mirrors are whats stock. Rock whatever you think looks good :thumbup:

I have a new master cylinder for my brakes I got from Rockauto then new shoes all way round.

A dogleg 5spd comes out of a 77-79 200sx. If your tranny mount and underneath area has not already been molested this is an easy swap. If you have a long tail 4spd behind that L20 you would be better off getting a longtail 5spd. Its easiest to do a tranny swap when the trannies are the same length. You will have to get under there and find out what you have. Dmike will let u know what tranny you have just by throwing up a good pic of it

Nice truck. How many miles per gallon is your Dodge giving you? I did some mods and am now getting 24 MPG. Welcome to Ratsun!

My Dodge gives me 15.5 combo of surface and freeway. I have 36k on it so technically its not broke in yet. I have a Bully dog gt that I need to put on it!

I do not think there were "stock" 521 outside mirrors in the USA. The Japanese used fender mirrors, and the USa trucks were shipped without mirrors, and were installed by the selling dealer.

Good to know, now I don't have to worry about what mirror I get, local speed shop here I come!

Please post what you find for mirrors.  It used to be you could find lots of mirror options for a mini truck, but since there are no new minitrucks being sold any more, aftermarket mirrors tend to be too big.  Kind of like ears on a Basset Hound.

Please post what you find for mirrors. It used to be you could find lots of mirror options for a mini truck, but since there are no new minitrucks being sold any more, aftermarket mirrors tend to be too big. Kind of like ears on a Basset Hound.

Yesterday I bought a set of classic hotrod style mirrors.

They should fit nicely with the ratty old skool look I'm shooting for.