Just bought a 521

Rockalot

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nice truck. and welcome. My 521 has a dogleg tranny from a '78 510 wagon. at least that's what the PO told me.

Thank you. I'm going to have search around and see what all that tranny comes out of and start looking for one.

Since I'm making this my daily driver and have some freeway to do to get to work that extra gear might come in handy!

for some reason Datsun owners dont like battery hold downs( they like Bungee Cords).

Paint th etruck same color if you ever paint it.

Its nice and straight truck.

grease the kingpins and drive shaft and swap fuel filter more often on 521s

lol mine has neither!

I'm having a hard time deciding on a paint scheme for this.

I thought about the original color with white on the cab and color matched stock rims, old school look.

At least for now I want to go with a Rat look... patina, distressed, etc...

I hear ya about the grease, don't want to have to look for more parts!

Since parts seem to be hard to find and at a premium I'm thinking on just converting things to newer more obtainable parts but I would rather go all original.

I like the Blue with white top.

dont let rust set in if there is not rust on this truck. Find another if you want the patina look.

parts were failry cheap untill recently then the kingpins seem to be trying up. But L motor parts are ez to get.

Washinton has alot of 521s or ratsun memebers not fixing theirs and soon to be parted out before they get kicked out of there rental.

• Like 1

I like the Blue with white top.

dont let rust set in if there is not rust on this truck. Find another if you want the patina look.

parts were failry cheap untill recently then the kingpins seem to be trying up. But L motor parts are ez to get.

Washinton has alot of 521s or ratsun memebers not fixing theirs and soon to be parted out before they get kicked out of there rental.

I am leaning towards the two tone, easy enough.

Skyblue with white top, white rims, white tuck-n-roll interior lol not sure the interior would survive my dirty lifestyle though!

This morning a Ratsun member from WA hooked me up with tail lights and a parcel tray.

So I just got back from my first drive in it and it was fun. Rides solid and everything feels tight.

Was had to get started though, had to spray it and when I turned it of didn't want to... guess it was happy to finally be back on the road!

Sure was warm inside the cab, it'll be hell in there this summer!

Might have to make it a convertible ;)

Also my brakes suck! Feel solid but have to apply a lot of pressure and still feels like 50%, pumping doesn't help at all.

Going to pop the wheels now and take a look at the shoes.

• Like 1

So I cleaned the contacts on the top of fuel tank and I think my gauge works now.

Found my speedo cable backed off so I might have that working now.

Worked on my tail lights and then went to the switch to turn the lights on and the shaft pulled out of it!

Can I fix this if I pull the tabs back or do I need another light switch?

My light switch is already missing it's knob, previous owner screwed a tee handle on it.

M klotz did a write up on the switches on ho to clean them. Im sure it just a stopper

521 brakes you have to adjust the wheel in the bacl of the plate.

turn down them down I believe. I get them just snug then back off 1 or 2 clicks.

rockauto has 521 Hydralic parts

Buy extra slave, masters wheels cylinders as you will need them. parts are drying up ont them.

Im on my 3 master cylinder. Most are made in Taiwan now. or Italy.  If you find Jap then buy them as they last forever

Nice truck, I can't wait to throw mines under the knife once the cash surfaces. At least yours is drivable, mines is in sleep mode in the garage waiting to hit the scene with a new look.

So its a sleeper then eh? ;)

Yeah mine drives good but it aint legal!

M klotz did a write up on the switches on ho to clean them. Im sure it just a stopper

I broke down the switch yesterday, cleaned and lubed but the lights don't come on so I guess I have to bust out the testing equipment now.

I hate electrical!

The only thing stopping me from hitting the roads legally is my lights.

Also need to make a decision on tire/rims before the old cracked tires leave me stranded.

Hey if your switch is bad I have one I'm selling, minus the knob.

I might take you up on that, I have a switch on the way so hopefully it works out.

Heck it might not even be the switch?

If you want to go the hot rod theme go with the classic combo, black with oxblood interior and red rims

I like that very much but its been done, hoping to do something a little different.

Thanks for the help though, do you have any pics of that combination?

YOu ck the fuse and fuse holders???????

soemtimes the fuse may look good but the ends inside are broke

I did. I took them all out and wire brushed everything but I didn't replace what looked to be good fuses so I guess that's the next step.