Hey guys... im new

austyn

hey guys my names austyn, i have a 1971 240z and now im thinking about getting a 521. i was wondering if anyone has put a turbo diesel engine in a 521? im thinking of putting a cummins 4bt in it, but my concerns are is the engine bay big enough? will the frame be able to hold a 1000 LB engine? let me know what you think.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be more of a height and weight thing rather than a compartment size thing..Cuz the radiator can go in bed because those run really cool ,, but it would stick up about a foot outta the hood wouldn`t it??..The drum brakes may not be able to stop the thing either .... there`s lots of info over at 4BTswaps.com 

I love that site.

Well the desk i'm sitting at is 30 1/2 inches tall ,,and an average counter top is 36" you might need a periscope to see the road  if you buy a common /cheap engine with a top mounted turbo... :rofl:

I aint trying to talk you outta it,, but it is a large Marge engine..

its a 240sx with the 4bt in it. i would think if it could fit in this and work it could be fine in a 521?

So you think the 240sx has the same weight distribution as a 521? That truck is going to handle horribly. Thats way too much weight sitting in the front of the truck with almost no weight in the rear. What makes you want to do this swap so bad?

first off all a 240sx has a larger engine bay then a 521 could ever dream of second off all it will handle like crap cause its to heavy right over the front wheels 3 off why? a ka would be lighter easily make power and tq fit better and probably alot cheaper

If you want turbo diesel, I say go for a 617A mercedes turbo diesel 5cyl. HP ~125 stock, super reliable, super durable, easily available, is roughly the same dimensions as an L series (intermediate between 4-6 cyl L), and is basically the same design as an L series. Might need to notch the firewall though.

Dimensions from another site:
29" long - some debate as to whether that includes fan
24" tall (26" by others, may be differences in oil pan or valve cover between years)
22" wide
244kg (563lbs) Long block weight

125hp/140ft-lbs stock, but speaking to some people - 180hp/200ft-lbs is quite easily achieved with the addition of an intercooler, adjustment to IP and turning up the boost to 14psi.

But you ask about power? There are Finnish guys getting 250-300 HP out of the stock internals with bigger turbos and modified injector pumps. Best thing is the rest of the drivetrain is already built for this HP as they use it with their V8's.