Getting 120whp out of L20B

Bandit

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a nice LZ22 together. Hasn't run yet, gotta do the swap and dyno.

Z20 block,

Z22 crank,

Z20 long rods,

86mm dished forged mahle pistons

A87 peanut head with big Z valves

Racer brown .475 cam

For my initial dyno run I'm gonna have my Weber 32/36 on it, I'm hoping to see about 130hp at the wheels. Down the road I'm gonna have a set of twin weber 40's or single 45. Maybe 150?

I wanted to make sure cause i scored some 89mm flat tops from a guy in Portland, he said they where out of his l motor. I got 5 of of them cause he always blows 1 during a race.  :poke: 

There were no L pistons above a +1mm oversize 86mm. Probably these from a KA...

89mm but 2.8cc dish.

89mmKA24Efloatingpinpiston002Large.jpg

Sealik,

where does power come in and fall off. I am interested in this type of motor at some point. I brought up the gear issue because I don't read any thing on the matter.

I can throttle the LZ23 at around 2000 RPM...no hesitation.

I haven't revved it over 4800 lately, due to a strange noise emanating from who knows where.

Seemed to pull well up to 6500 RPM though.

Mileage is pretty good....being that it's always in fifth....lol

Anything over 45MPHish and it's in 'overdrive' and still has more than enough torque to pass...etc.

That's the full bill. All junkyard parts, and the EFI conversion was 438$ complete, including Megasquirt computer, EDIS ignition system, all wiring, new fuel pump, and billet fuel rail. If you want to play, you gotta pay.

Time or Money are both acceptable currency in this case.

• 1 year later...

Do you mind me asking what diff between z20 and z22 and wil the l20b head fit on eitheer ? I want to build an lz motor I beleive datzun mike said 86 mm pistons z22 bloxk z24 crank and l20b head and timing stuf is that the best route, how much diff bwteen horsepower and torque in z20 z22 and z24, can u get a z24 motor and put l20b head or is that to much

Get a Z22 block and put an L series head on it. You have an instant 10 hp. Cam and R-1 carbs you should get another 15 hp.

I would hone the block to 89mm. Install KA24E*(edit) (used or new) pistons on the Z22 or L20B rods for a 2.3 liter motor. L20B timing cover and timing chain and parts. U67 head. (cheap and plentiful) L16/18 exhaust manifold. Make an intake for R-1 carbs. This would be close to 120 hp and if a cam was added....?

Byron from The Ream had  a 2.2 liter L motor with cam and side drafts 132RWHP!!!!

This was his EFI set up. Only made 5-6 more HP than the carbed.

DynoRun2007ByronsLZ22.jpg

So either use ka24de? Or ka254e? Or ka24e? I'm confused? Is that spelling error? And i can either use the ka pistons OR l20b rods to make it 2.3 litre or do I have to do l20b rods and ka pistons ? Sorry for questions guys

I've got a nice LZ22 together. Hasn't run yet, gotta do the swap and dyno.

Z20 block,

Z22 crank,

Z20 long rods,

86mm dished forged mahle pistons

A87 peanut head with big Z valves

Racer brown .475 cam

For my initial dyno run I'm gonna have my Weber 32/36 on it, I'm hoping to see about 130hp at the wheels. Down the road I'm gonna have a set of twin weber 40's or single 45. Maybe 150?

Do you know if I have a z 22 block and lseries head on it would it be better to bore to 86mm or 89mm ?

And what about z20 block and l series head what's better size to bore to 86mm or 89mm ? Do ka pistons come in both sizes ?

And if I have z22 block do in used z24 crank?

And if I have z20 nlock do I use z22 crank ? Cant exactly tell if using diff crank is needed or just for shits or giggles or more hp or something

Guess my finger hit the 5 as well as the 4 in that post. I've edited it. It's a set of KA24E pistons. The car S13 pistons are fully floating pins while the D21 truck pins are pressed in. 

The Z22 truck rods and all L20B rods are the same, so your choice.

You can use an 85mm bore L20B or Z20 block bored to 89mm but the Z22 is already an 87mm bore to start with an less to remove. Again either will work.

Do you mind me asking what diff between z20 and z22 and wil the l20b head fit on eitheer ? I want to build an lz motor I beleive datzun mike said 86 mm pistons z22 bloxk z24 crank and l20b head and timing stuf is that the best route, how much diff bwteen horsepower and torque in z20 z22 and z24, can u get a z24 motor and put l20b head or is that to much

The Z20 block and crank is basically an L20B. Putting an L20B head on a Z20 block is just making an L20B.

You can put the L20B head and oil pan and pickup, and everything forward of the block (all timing related stuff) onto a Z22 engine to make an LZ22 hybrid.

I don't think I said " 86 mm pistons z22 bloxk z24 crank and l20b head and timing stuf is that the best route" For one the pistons would have to be at least 89mm not 86mm and the tops milled down slightly. The crank throws would need to be turned down to clear the Z22 block and L20B or Z22 rods used. This would be an extremely short rod (145.9mm)/long stroke (96mm) 2.4 liter engine that would put a lot of side loading on the pistons approaching and leaving BDC. A better 2.4 liter engine would be a stock Z24 with L20B head and modified front valve cover. This would give the largest displacement and a less stressful 165mm rod length in a taller block..

What I did was use a Z22 block, I bored it out to 89mm, used stock Z24 pistons, and I used the Z22 crank and rods, it works out to a LZ23 that will burn regular pump gas without knocking to much.

There is more to it than that, what I described was an overview.

Here is a link to my build, sealik also has a build that is better than mine, but a lot of his photos are gone. :(

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/31213-waynos-lz22/

Sorry for all the questions I just don't want to get it wrong , research I've done, but just want to clarify , you guys know datsun, I don't, I love datsuns but don't have half the knowldge you guys do, you guys are badass all of you and have some sweet vehicles

So a z22 block z22 cranks and rods with ka24e/z24 89mm pistons and u67 or w58 or a87 head will make an lz23 motor?

Until I find a z22 block someone sells me what the best way to build up my l20b block for now ? Datzen mike said use l20b block 85mm or z20 or z22 to make an lz is I used the l20b what do I do to the l20b even tho it would not be an lz motor can I sttill make it a 2.2 litre or something ?

If you want more power, there is no substitute for displacement, you can do all sorts of stuff to try and make up for the engine being smaller, but all that stuff you did will make the larger displaced engine even more powerful, so if you can start out with a Z22 block, you will be better off to start with.

I don't know how far an L20b can be bored out, and I don't know what the KA24E piston is(flat top/dished), I only know what I did, Z22 block/crank/rods, stock Z24 pistons, and my W53 closed chamber head with big Z car valves, the intakes were ported to match a SU intake manifold, that gave me an 8.9 to 1 compression ratio.

It works for me.