Getting 120whp out of L20B

Bandit

Well I don't want to take shortcuts I would like to do it right, , you guys don't understand, my datsuns are my life, inhave nothin better in my life...

It sounds like you've getten dealt a shitty hand. I went racing instead of college. That's where I learned all my engine skills. It took me until I was 28 to get back in school, but I got a degree, finally. You are not alone. You have a whole bunch of friends here, as long as we're talking about Datsuns, we have something in common.

I suggest you go back through and re-read all the comments posted here. We are trying to get you pointed in the right direction, but it doesn't seem like you know what you want yet.

If you don't have a budget, per-se, then you should at least think about what you want to do with the car. Go fast? Go really fast? Race? What kind of racing? Are you willing to deal with tuning issues like if you had dual carbs or turbo? How often would you expect to have to work on the engine? If you can answer these questions, the answers may lead us to one motor or another.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

look for the nasty ass lz23 build on here.

it was ALOT of work but its a real stump puller! its cammed a lil wacky for the street, but I like things a little bit wacky.

next refresh its getting different cp pistons and 6 inch rods. I have custom pistons in it right now, but just on arp bolted l20b rods. its also completely balanced and feels smooth.

Thanks fellas, and It probably won't be my daily driver, but I would like to be able to get in it and hot rod around town or take the old lady out for drive in movie and a car , meet or two once a week if I wanted to

Tell you truth I don't know enough about turbos to tune one, and u said that's expensive, I'm not rich,

I just want to build a motor that doesn't require any more machining that bored and honed , I' don't want to have custom crank or custom pistons made,

I want the beefiest race motor I can that's somewhat streetable          

Ill have a nother ride for transportation but I still want to be able to get on it and show up a stock l20b friend in his datsun 620          

Ill sell my 65 tubbed and stock floored soon to be bagged custom frame datsun 320 and ill sell my 78 kc 620 4x4 and ill sell every th in I own , don't really care, nothin better to do or live for ,

What I need to do is find somone who has a block z22 first so I can go from there         

Just to run around town and not a daily driver: Stock Z22 with an L head and a mild cam. Possibly dual carbs or even a Holley 2 barrel.  Weber DGV or DGAS would also be fine. 2" exhaust on a cheapie header with a turbo muffler and  5" exhaust tip (for an extra 10hp).

How about a KA swap? You can get a donor truck for around $800 and the swap wouldn't take more than a week. My labor rate is $75/hr which would make it about $3000 to install. Add another $500 or so in parts for odds and ends and you've got a $4300 EFI 2.4L 12 valve that is going to do everything you need it to.

• Like 1

Why do you need a KA24DE? Why not a KA24E?

Yes, donor truck.

Yes, I build custom cars and trucks for a living. I could certainly help.

Yes, I'm sure there would be some fabrication involved. That's what I call a detail. Don't fret about the details.

Pay attention to this.
  • Like 2

2000,been out for a visit with Gale Banks. I'm putting the tank pump kit in it today. Similiar MPGs-I just can't keep tires on it.

My cousing works for Garrett turbos. They help Banks with the design and application of their kits. I should call my cousin and hit him up for some turbo love...!

I run 325/65/18's on mine because I was having the same problem. My last set of tires only lasted 17K miles.

Even then if I put a ka in I'm gonna want to modify it for more performance

I dnt want a stock motor I want a motor built and above stock performance, .

My whole life I've never had anything nice or worth anything more than few hundred bucks,, that's why I wahted to beef up the l20 or z22 so its pushin a little more ooomph , sounds stupid , maybe, but you can't tell me any of you haven't built a motor becuase you wanted something different and a little extreme in some cases

Even then if I put a ka in I'm gonna want to modify it for more performance

I dnt want a stock motor I want a motor built and above stock performance, .

My whole life I've never had anything nice or worth anything more than few hundred bucks,, that's why I wahted to beef up the l20 or z22 so its pushin a little more ooomph , sounds stupid , maybe, but you can't tell me any of you haven't built a motor becuase you wanted something different and a little extreme in some cases

Now it's time for you to stop posting,make up your mind and do the required research.Your topic title say 120 rear wheel HP.A KA will do this all day long with no drivability issues. I would have went this route but AC compressors won't fit a 620 frame.

• Like 3