Repro 72 510 SSS Grille & Supersonic badges

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He has to make it worth his time and money I think 400 is fair. Plus if he makes them too cheap everyone will have one and they will lose there appeal 

From what I gathered, at 250 with the material he is using he would be making a profit. 

When I have a finish unit I will be better able to crunch the numbers on a finished price. Working full time I think I can make about three a week. At this point I'm thinking about $400. But for you cash strapped Ratsuniers keep in mined I'm always open to trades. All proceeds (after recouping investment) will be going to finely getting body and paint work and hopefully help fund my supercharger project. Money earned on Ratsun should stay in Datsuns.

• Like 2

I think 400$ is still a steal buddy even if u convert it to our currency (south African rand).. If u want it u will pay as simple as that u took the chance to make one and I'm telling u now u will make a killing! Plz keep us updated when u have one ready to ship. All the best with project.

I was going to say something. Not sure how you were planning on making the mesh part of the grill, but maybe skip on the actual mesh, and just make the border.

I think that way people could come up with their own ideas for mesh centers. I myself would probably like some sort of Hex, and not so much the square design.

If he can cast the headlight surrounds he definitely can reproduce the grille.. For us in South Africa grilles are near impossible to source any grille.. Actually the 73 sss 180 i coupe have had a gl grille on but I sourced the car stood in garage for 29years and everything was there except the grille..but our bud here with the 73 repo man he had a brilliant idea!

I was going to say something. Not sure how you were planning on making the mesh part of the grill, but maybe skip on the actual mesh, and just make the border.

I think that way people could come up with their own ideas for mesh centers. I myself would probably like some sort of Hex, and not so much the square design.

Ya know, that thought crossed my mined when I was first thinking about this whole thing. what I came up with is that this material is machinable and if a guy wants to cut the center out and refit something new he can. But for the guy that wants a stock look, its a bolt on. There are four main pieces to these so for $100 each a guy could buy as meany lower grills as he wants and customize them for the different days of the week. Hell, I was thinking of having a piece of aluminum lazer cut with "RATSUN" to fit in there...... Hey has any body else notice that Ratsun spelled backwards is "Nustar"?    

Quick update, I just got 3 more gallons of silicone in today (finely) and will be finishing up the last of the molds on Monday. I'm really pushing to have some done for Canby but I'm not making any promises. I've been rock'en the bezels on my car for over a week now and they seem to be holding up great. FYI the bezel in the top pic is a little deformed from doing heat resistance tests.

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

• Like 5

Impressive development work so far!

Kind of makes my badge casting work look a little lame :(

Na, the badge casting is cool, and over all more profitable. This has more or less turned into a "can it be done" challenge for me, I would have to sell 12 of them just to make my money back, and that's if my time has no value. I'm almost ready to pour the silicon for the mesh section. Trying to beef up a stamped metal part to be cast in plastic has really challenged my sculpting skills .