engine choice

El Compa_510

hey guys i know this question might have been asked already but here it goes again. im going to be picking up my 510 coupe pretty soon and yes i will be making the commitment on either swapping in an sr20det or a 13b turboII rotary engine can u guys help me make the right decision please i really need the help!! thanks for your time cheers ratsun brothers!!!!!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whats your end goal? daily driver? dirt track? drag car? autocross? whats you fabrication skill level? can you cut and weld? whats your budget? its not cheap or easy to do either of those swaps. you cannot just toss a bunch of hp at a car and expect good results. you will be able to go fast but cant stop or turn. so you will want to upgrade the brakes,suspension,differential, etc . its not as easy as pick a motor and go. there is a lot of build threads out there read all of them then you will know what motor you want, like maybe the one thats already in it.

• Like 1
hey guys i know this question might have been asked already but here it goes again. im going to be picking up my 510 coupe pretty soon and yes i will be making the commitment on either swapping in an sr20det or a 13b turboII rotary engine can u guys help me make the right decision please i really need the help!! thanks for your time cheers ratsun brothers!!!!!

Prolly just a two door.  Gotta prove it with oics.

thanks for the replys guys well i am looking to build a fast but reliable build, ive always leaned towards in sr because its nissan. as of my fabrication and welding is fairly good, if not me i have my best buddy who is a master certified welder and fabricator. and yes its a 2 door, and i do agree with sealik about a rotary staying in a mazda only reason i asked is because i got a crate 13b turbo for pretty much nothing so I'm gonna look into trading it plus cash or something for an sr, and as of upgrading components i very aware of that. i just wanted to hear your guys opinions, oics?????

ultimately the choice is yours..however, you have to seriously look at your budget, skill set, room or place to work on your car, tools..and don't be buying a bunch of stuff till you make a conscious decision about what it is you really want to do..too many variables to consider.  Some like to stay original, restomod..will depend largely on what you want the car to be, daily driver, show queen, dragster, track....either way, keep on seaching, go to Datsun shows, on the web...the more information you gather, the more questions you'll have.  This is something I know for sure, when you are not sure don't make a decision, even buying a carb ..cuz this may not fit your eventual desire...good luck.

If it's a style opinion you're after, I would stay with the L motor, but build a 2200 or 2300. If you are intent on a swap, go Nissan.

I think I'll let you decide if your fab and mechanical skills are good enough for a swap. I'm not going to lecture you like everyone else. Just do us one favor; if you start the project, finish it. Too many bastard orphan Datsuns out there already.

i agree im super exited hopefully i pick up my coupe in two weeks, then it begins......

Unless its a RHD actual coupe, please refrain from calling it a coupe... It's not. It's a 2 door sedan. Also, I'm not quite sure you're even ready for a swap if you have to ask which is "better." if you had the knowledge required would you know which engine would fit, which would give you power/reliability you want, and which is in your budget?

It just feels like you're not ready with the requisite knowledge to begin something as involved as a swap; especially something like an SR or rotary where neither were designed for a 510.

tristin!!!!!!! sorry for hurting your feelings and calling a 2door vehicle a coupe, usually 4 door cars are called sedans, i know datsun called there 2door and 4door sedans and then they also had there coupe which if u really want to get technical it was first released in 68 only jdm, wich came with the 1.6 or 1.8, then i guess i made a mistake just didn't think someone would get hurt, for making a boo boo like that, but don't worry datsun brother i will "refrain" from calling it a coupe, on another note i thank you for your response and giving me even more motivation to prove u guys wrong, funny thing i do know about swaps it wont be my first and im sure it wont be my last ive been an automotive technician for 8 years now im 23 years old not to mention, ive worked for various dealerships, diesel and gas, small cars up to big rigs,little hondas till 200k mercedes benz, and im very good at it, just because i asked a simple question/opinion on what swap to do don't make me unknowledged, i never did ask what fit or didn't so don't where you got that from? :console:, with expert fabrication and money u can make a lot of engines fit..... as of power and reliability, if you really think about it what high power engine is reliable especially a forced induction car? sooner or later everything breaks. as in my budget, i'm in no rush to get it done in a weekend, i know what i'm getting my self into, i know its not a cheap easy project. if u actually pay attention to my previous posts i was asking if i should stay with that 13b just because i pretty much got it for free so i thought why not, but always had my mind on an sr, so nice try in putting me down brother, but u actually got me more exited to build this, so thanks again, hey maybe one day we cruise together.....lmfao :hug:

Lol my feelings arent hurt... its just a common mistake that everyone new thinks because its 2drs its a Coupe. The coupe standard was based on the interior volume of the car and not how many doors it has so even the 2dr. is too large internally to be considered a coupe. The actual Japanese coupe has the slanted rear roof line that cuts out a few more cubic feet of space dropping it under the coupe cubic feet standard. It just gets Datsun enthusiasts excited when we hear/see coupe so when we know its being erroneously used, we dont care too much for it. 

We get so many people coming in here asking what engine will fit in this or that model. Everyone things swaps are easy and they want to do a specific engine because they aready have it sitting in the garage... so why not?! It doesnt work like that. I didnt mean to "put you down," but the way you come across in the previous posts makes it sound like your knowledge level is below what it would take to fit either of those engines in a 510 right now. If you have 8yrs. or fabrication experience then you should know that you can check the weight of each engine vs. the stock engine, check the dimensions of the engines you want to install for the bay, check the transmission length for shifter position, check reliability statistics for the blocks you want to use... thats common swap points that you have to consider that never change. It doesnt matter if youre putting a Z22 in a 510 or an LS1 in a classic Corvette. 

Yes everything can be done with time and money. But it gets to a point where neither become beneficial to your project. I hope you do get your swap done and maybe one day I will see you at Canby. Ill share a beverage from my campsite. 

ive been an automotive technician for 8 years now im 23 years old not to mention, ive worked for various dealerships, diesel and gas, small cars up to big rigs,little hondas till 200k mercedes benz, and im very good at it,...

Sooooooo.....at fifteen you became an automotive technician.

Would assume there was a prior 2-3 + year course for some form of 'certification'?

'Impressive'....to say the least