Whats your favorite Grille for PL510?

Just scored a 1968. I have been wanting one for years. Still need to restore and refinish, but I am happy so far.

CIMG0172_Medium_.JPG

CIMG0173_Medium_.JPG

I like 1968 because the grille and headlight finishers really look like they were made for each other. It looks "older" to me too.

I had a SSS grille in there before, I put in lots of work restoring, and I still like that one too.

CIMG0447_Medium_.JPG

My ultimate grille would be the 1969 sss cast grille, with the cast headlight finishers. Rarest of rare.

Cast_Grill_Assembled.jpg

What grilles do ya'll like?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the 68 grill. Never been a very big fan of the SSS grills. Some times I think the 73 Japanese grill would be fun but I could never justify the price. Only good thing about running it in oregon is that NO ONE HAS THEM HERE. In cali... jeez you aren't even unique with that rare grill.

I think one day i'll come across one of those 68 grills and use it for a while.

I really like the plastic 73 grill but I also can't spend that kinda money on a part that doesn't improve the performance of my car :D

Since both my cars are 68's I feel I need to run the correct grill :D I do like it in red :D

That's the least favorite of mine. It doesn't flow well at all, IMO, and I don't like the lack of vertical symmetry.

TO me it looks "sporty" the 68 grille is really nice though :D To be honest a car can have no grill and look cooler than the 73 or 68 grill as long as the car is slammed!! :D

Forgive the crappy photoshop, but it's mainly the headlight buckets that I don't like about it. It'd be better IMO if they were round on the inside:

141DSCF8283.jpg

Not bad Matt. Looks less like a 610 now. :P

I think of the 73 JDM grille as Nissans "preview grille"

It is my least favorite also, I have heard stories of guys in Japan burning those ugly things. I wish they would have got them all:fu:

So is the late 68 grill pressed or cast?

I heard there's a difference on the early and late 68 grill

I was talking to Byron and he said that the difference was depending on the model. The fancy model had more slats or whatever they are called :D

So is the late 68 grill pressed or cast?

I have only seen pressed ones. Again, the only cast grille I know of is the 1969 SSS grilles. JDM only. See the bottom of post #1.

I heard there's a difference on the early and late 68 grill

I have heard this also. I have seen two different badges. One says "DATSUN" with a red background, the other is just a "D" with a red, white, and blue background. Not sure of any other differences. I will see if I can find out anything.

I have only seen pressed ones. Again, the only cast grille I know of is the 1969 SSS grilles. JDM only. See the bottom of post #1.

I have heard this also. I have seen two different badges. One says "DATSUN" with a red background, the other is just a "D" with a red, white, and blue background. Not sure of any other differences. I will see if I can find out anything.

Here's that other Badge on a 68.

I think it's the Deluxe model.

I will check 3 of my 68 grills for differences.

Believe there is a pressed 68 grill and it's not just the 69 grill.

grill.jpg

I'd have to say that my absolute favorite is the 69 sss, but I love the 73 jdm on the goon. It does change the whole front fascia tho. You love it or hate it. Me, I love it.

If the 73 JDM wasn't plastic, I would sport it.

They go for average $400 and up.

My car came with a 68 grill, so I sport that. But to be honest, I don't really care about the grill. I doesn't make the car any faster, so like Ice I can't justify spending a bunch of money on it.

I also think the 73 grille does look sporty, especially with the over rider. i think it give it a diffrent look. Then again that just me PIC-0148.jpg

I have to agree that does look damn nice!!

Here's that other Badge on a 68.

I think it's the Deluxe model.

I will check 3 of my 68 grills for differences.

Believe there is a pressed 68 grill and it's not just the 69 grill.

grill.jpg

The middle grille looks like a 521 grill.

My car came with a 68 grill, so I sport that. But to be honest, I don't really care about the grill. I doesn't make the car any faster, so like Ice I can't justify spending a bunch of money on it.

Preach on brother :D Know if someone wanted to trade me a 73 grill for some part I had laying around I can see sporting one then :D