old school stereos in a 510

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cut my dash. I mean it was stock for a stereo, which is no longer the standard. Might as well cut it.

And pyle stereos are um, a pyle.

Please stick with Pioneer/Alpine/Kenwood for head units.

But that old pioneer is awesome!

Guest 510kamikazifreak
I cut my dash. I mean it was stock for a stereo, which is no longer the standard. Might as well cut it.

And pyle stereos are um, a pyle.

Please stick with Pioneer/Alpine/Kenwood for head units.

But that old pioneer is awesome!

Most 510 dashes have been cut over the years,probably cut 80 or so myself :rofl:

Pyle's are piles..

I agree with the "head"units.. keep em real sounding...

And that Pioneer is worth a fortune!

I have a small collection of Alpine, Kenwood cassette players. I have a Alpine in the 1200 and a Kenwood in the RX2. I just roll a cassette convertor and plug the ipod in. I like that the newer units have a mini plug and usb but they all look out of place in a 40 year old car.

There is always a system like this as well.   http://www.classiccarstereos.com/category/Secretaudio-SST.html

secretaudio-usa-banner-SST.gif

Good topic!  I didnt even think about the old school stero, I have been looking at the OS 6x9 for the rear deck, the ones already a enclosure. 

I like these but the price is too much for shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-ADDZEST-3WAY-SPEAKERS-SRB103-ALPINE-KENWOOD-PIONEER-NAKAMICHI-CD-MP3-SONY-/160554085305?pt=Car_Audio_Video&vxp=mtr&hash=item2561c4ebb9

I used to have an old JVC tape deck that was installed by the PO, but I tore it out because I couldn't hear it over the stupid Flowmaster.

My dash remains uncut, but the PO did cut holes in the cargo area panels in my goon to fit janky speakers. I would have preferred that they cut the dash instead.

i have a old cva 1000 from alpine i was considering putting in my truck.......i have collected a vast amount of alpine head units from a old 1310 to a 1505 to  ivadc800s ..........doing a custom center in the 510 for a double din unit ....should look pretty oem

That thing is sweet, Tepa. Gotta love the rotary tuning indicator thing. Does it light up green?

Technically mine's in a Z, but...

l08py.jpg?2

Late seventies Pioneer Super Tuner II. Five bucks, plus ten bucks worth of new knobs and forty-five minutes of cleaning aluminum corrosion. Can't get the tape deck to work, but the radio and tuning buttons work smashingly.

That thing is sweet, Tepa. Gotta love the rotary tuning indicator thing. Does it light up green?

Technically mine's in a Z, but...

l08py.jpg?2

Late seventies Pioneer Super Tuner II. Five bucks, plus ten bucks worth of new knobs and forty-five minutes of cleaning aluminum corrosion. Can't get the tape deck to work, but the radio and tuning buttons work smashingly.

yes the green dial does light up green also the cool thing is that the stereo is new and thats the first car its been mounted to 

Not a 510, but found at junkyard.  10$ out the door and everything works.  Screen is a little janky, but works great.  Mounted much better in the 85 Celica right now.  This was just to test everything.

photo-12.jpg

For the celica if I ever get it working again... the stereo, not the car.  Cassette was Fubar need some of the drive wheels replaced.  Again, junkyard score with the 8 pin DIN amp, 10$

photo-22.jpg

Also have a couple of Pioneer shaft style cassette decks.  Anybody ever looked at the Clarion CX501?  It is a double din with the works.  You can get the face to light up in the same green color that most JNC dashes are.  Looks alright in the newer(80s) JNC.  Also, anybody know any place decent to send my Alpine for service?

• Like 1
Old School is an 8 track player! I think I have one laying around here somewhere. If I run across it, I'll post oics. I pulled it out of a '67 Mustang I'm restoring for the original owner. He had it hidden behind the factory radio delete cover. I only kept it cuz it was funny.

I agree - I've got a Craig Powerplay 8 track that I hope to

install into one of our cars someday.

Look it up - it was about the most high-tech cool thing,back

in the early '70's.

- Doug

I have some 3-hole digital tape deck I found at Pull-A-Part.  Don't remember the brand.  No dashboards were harmed in the installation of it.  I apparently have no pictures of it, but I do remember the radio's faceplate didn't fit so I simply didn't use it.  Cut up dashes drive me nuts, BUT I do look for already hacked (at least, hacked nicely) dash panels so I can store my good unmolested ones and run a regular DIN radio.  Several of my cars came cut up, but the 510 did not.  Of course my aversion to cutting up the (admittedly not great to begin with) interior means having nowhere to put speakers, so they're totally jerry-rigged SUSPENDED from the underside of the dash with zip ties.

Oh yeah, need to get new speakers in them but I have a few pairs of the TS-X series of shelf mount speakers. 

SPEAKERS1.jpg

One pair of 2 way and one pair of 3 way.  Both came out of 240Zs found at the junkyard. This is what I got the first alpine pictured out of, along with the set of TS three way speakers

photo-23.jpg

Shame to see such a save-able 240 in the JY.  It is a 73 and was straight.  Rear wheel wells had some rust along with the frame rails, but nothing that looked like a death knell

And yes, that is my tool bag and the valve cover from the Z.  Along with the elephant oil cap :thumbup:

• 3 years later...