GOONS check in

gokiburix

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been reading up on that Air-Lift setup, and it seems to be the ticket. That and the air shocks are on my Christmas list! :D There's a slightly heavier duty Air-Lift setup for $60 more, but if this one is good enough for full sized trucks, then it must be just fine for a 510 wagon.

The rear shocks on my goon do a full squat if you look at them wrong! I have been eyeing these for a while now, too.

My goon has 2" lowering blocks, and the ride is WAY too bouncy. I don't necessarily want to raise the back, but do you think I can use the air shocks to "firm-up" the rear? I am assuming the squatty rear comes from the shocks being worn out?

Thanks.

The rear shocks on my goon do a full squat if you look at them wrong! I have been eyeing these for a while now, too.

My goon has 2" lowering blocks, and the ride is WAY too bouncy. I don't necessarily want to raise the back, but do you think I can use the air shocks to "firm-up" the rear? I am assuming the squatty rear comes from the shocks being worn out?

Thanks.

Shocks or dampeners generally don't support weight. They dampen and control suspension movement. In this case, these air shocks are designed to supplement the leaf spring in load carrying duties. They can be used to help level the ride height when the rear is loaded but will not help if your current unloaded ride height is where you want to car to sit during general use. If you add pressure to an unloaded rig, they will effectively lift the rear end rather than stiffen compression. Unless you want to avoid squat or compensate for a load, you'd be better off with a stiffer valved shock to control your "bounce".

Later

Joel

For anyone interested, I finally started a "retro" build thread on my car. I started the build in 2002 so I'm still trying to remember things I have done to it. My goal is to have it caught up to "present day" in the next week or so...

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/26747-the-greengoon-build-thread/

• 2 weeks later...

Its been pretty snowy here lately but I was able to finally remove the goon from its 'goon cocoon' and drive it around for a while. Weather's crappy again so its back in hibernation now. It always feels great to get it back out. I'm looking forward to spring :D

IMG_0645.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Is everyone else's goon a TOTAL pain in the ass to gas up?

In So Cal, we have these rubber smog collars on the pump, and you have to engage the collar a bit before gas will start coming out. I have to shove the nozzle in and tilt it as far up as it will go. To get my goon to take any gas, I have to trickle it out of the pump as slow as it will go. Forget hands free.

Dreadni tells me he has to carry a towel with him because he can't get gas without spilling it all over the side of his goon.

Another rainy day rant...

Yup...same!

I've noticed most shell stations have been easier to fill up than others. But yah...that rubber sleeve needs to be pushed back before you can even start gassing up.

I usually try to avoid over filling. It's a gamble everytime..will gas end up on the floor this time or not? :lol: I've gotten better at it.