gokiburix

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yummie, butterscotch :lol:

so did you cut the rear section of the hump for the drive line to clear also like greengoon. ??

Ya, the way the greengooner cut is hump is totally yummie, me likely long time. It looks like Datto510 has done the miracle as well.

yummie, butterscotch :lol:

so did you cut the rear section of the hump for the drive line to clear also like greengoon. ??

No, I bought it already lowered this way. There is only one leaf in the rear so I have to drive like a Grandma.

Ya, the way the greengooner cut is hump is totally yummie, me likely long time. It looks like Datto510 has done the miracle as well.

I'm gonna do the same thing!

I gotta admit- I "borrowed" the wheel and tire combo from another Ratsun member, Greengoon. The wheels are a 15x7 +20 wrapped in 175/55/15 Khumo tires. Search for pics of Greengoons car and you will see why! Its dead sexy!

I thought that stance looked familiar. Love the butterscotch by the way. I am flattered that you borrowed my idea. It means I'm doing something right. :D Air shocks will solve your mono leaf issues. I'll keep an eye on your goon.

I thought that stance looked familiar. Love the butterscotch by the way. I am flattered that you borrowed my idea. It means I'm doing something right. :D Air shocks will solve your mono leaf issues. I'll keep an eye on your goon.

From a performance standpoint, how do the air shocks ride? I'm torn between going performance (QA1) or air for the extra load of passengers/camping gear.

Thanks

Joel

was there a build thread or something on your tunnel/rear hump mod? are the air-shocks a bolt on deal,like the ones on my '63 Riviera? my goon has stock suspension but my plan is to use 200sx,or 280 zx struts,spindles,and rotors. the strut tower has already been modified to fit a 210 strut bearing. i was planning to use lowering blocks in the rear,and a disk brake mod back there too. I want to be able to run some old school 4 lug rims,but I currently have 200sx rims on it. the car is my daily driver,and I need all the seats intact,so if the mod requires losing any seats ,it's out for me. I want to lower the car,mostly to improve handling,but i don't want to lose the ability to haul stuff in back,or fold down the rear seat for camping,etc. using lowering blocks will meet my needs,but if your mod will also,plus improve handling i'd like to check it out. thanks !

was there a build thread or something on your tunnel/rear hump mod?...

I have little bits and pieces all over Ratsun but I have never made an actual 'build thread' because these mods were done before I joined Ratsun. It seems like this info would be helpful to a lot of people to have in one spot so let me gather up some pics and info and I will make an actual thread on my goon. I'll let the GoonSquad know when its posted. Thanks for the interest!

-Duane

• Like 2

I don't autocross it but it hugs turns just fine. I've run airshocks for years and I like them. The adjustability is well worth it IMO.

I have little bits and pieces all over Ratsun but I have never made an actual 'build thread' because these mods were done before I joined Ratsun. It seems like this info would be helpful to a lot of people to have in one spot so let me gather up some pics and info and I will make an actual thread on my goon. I'll let the GoonSquad know when its posted. Thanks for the interest!

-Duane

My new wagon has the tunnel enlarged also and Air Shocks......Done by previous owner....;)

Your car is sweet greengoon!!!! Love that soft-top!!!

newsideright.jpg

i am fairly certain that my goon is just as low as the green and orange one and i didnt do any driveline mods

Two questions then:

1) How close is your driveshaft to the tunnel?

2) What size wheel and tire do you have?

To me it appears that your tires/wheels are bigger, therefor allowing you to look low without actually being low.

GreenGoon is definitely lower, look at bottom of body to ground distance. Also look at the center of wheel to top of wheel well distance. You are not even tucking tire in the rear and GreenGoon is about to tuck the rim...

My new wagon has the tunnel enlarged also and Air Shocks......Done by previous owner....;)

Your car is sweet greengoon!!!! Love that soft-top!!!

I'll agree with h5wagon about the softtop also! I was going to put it one of the pop up glass moonroofs,since i already have it. i Just need a seal,and to figure out the best way to cut it. I hear they leak though,so I've been kinda hesitant about it. It rains alot where i live! does your softtop leak? if I wanted to put one like it on my goon,where would I get it? thanks!

I got the rag top from Street Beat customs. They make them in all sizes. It holds up to rain just fine. I once drove the goon to work everyday for a week and it rained the entire time- no leaks. The only time it leaks is when washing the car. you just have to be careful not to spray into it horizontally.

Compliments of Dwayne [greengoon] my wagon also has air shocks & i love em ! I get about 3 1/2 inches of lift & at full drop they arent bottomed out. Im running 2 inch blocks w/ 1 leaf spring removed, axle bump stops trimmed & the above pumpkin stop removed.

& for the record Dwayne's wagon is the lowest ive seen both on the net & in person. @ JCCS this year we did a comparison shot... :D

9v8l6p.jpg

& a pic of the air shocks...

1255572338.jpg

& the T fitting...

1255718230.jpg

Thanks for those pics Mark! I am becoming obsessed with matching Greengoons stance! Tonight I pulled the 280zx struts/coilover package off of my 4 door to get rid of the tire gap in the front of my car. I'm gonna be looking more into these air shocks soon.

The shocks I have now are Monroe Max-Air part number 48756. Basically the smallest shock that I could find with the eye and stud settup. The ones Mark has are a little longer so it depends on your drop. I ran my air lines separate to left and right and that helps with handling a little too.

I wonder how they compare to Tokico gas shocks for stiffness?

I think they are for 2 different purposes. I dont think I want ultra stiff for the back of the wagon. Already its plenty stiff for the ride.

Air shocks are cool because you can raise and lower the car at will.

Air shocks are cool because you can raise and lower the car at will.

You would need an on-board air supply for this, yes? tank and compressor? At least one or the other?

This seems like a good solution for those times I'd like to carry more than 1 passenger.

Since my rear shocks are blown and in need of replacement, this is starting to look very sensible!

edit:

So if I got this AirLift system and those Monroe air shocks, I can have adjustable rear ride height and load carrying capability? This sounds like a no brainer.

41%2B4srGXBkL._SL500_.jpg

I just have a portable air compressor that plugs into the power supply. Mainly for emergency uses, but has been known to fill bike tires, basketballs, basically anything with a shrader valve. It can go to 300psi.

*I do not have air shocks. My car is super stock.