My GF bought this.. Guess who gets to fix it?

ShawnaNana_Shawna_N_000.jpg

It's a 1978 MG Midget. Hasn't ran in two years. I tried to get it started but the carb started leaking fuel everywhere. Apparently it has a rebuilt engine. No major rust. Perfect interior minus the dash. Got it for $1000. 

It's a neat little car. I don't fit in it at all though. I'm 6'3, so my head is above the windshield. I'll have to wear goggles if I drive it!

I just spent $250 on tune up parts. It's gunna be fun fun fun. :)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad has a '73 B. I am with you entirely, MG's are not made for people over 5'10 lol.
MG's have been known to catch on fire because of fuel leaks in the carb, or at least the B does. Seen it a few threads regarding engine fires because of it... Fuel drips on to the hot mani and catches fire.
Moss has lots of (albeit expensive) stock-replacement and aftermarket parts for MG's and Mini's.

I spent a whole day  trying to get my friends old MGB started that had died on the freeway when i was like 19 or 20 (86-87) .. HUGE learning curve with the 6 volt positive ground system and points ,, in a parking lot with no manual at all  ,,, I think it helped me understand points systems more than anything else i have ever done....

I just told this story yesterday afternoon to my 14 year old when we saw a old gray haired dude driving his faded red one yesterday with the top down , his tarp over the passenger seat and the scarf around his neck trailing him in the wind , over by the mall , he looked as content as any person ever.. Did i mention it snowed yesterday.. :lol:

MG's  used TWO 6 volt batteries - not a 6 volt system.

Most have been replaced with one 12 volt battery.

- Doug

YES! I remember now, it did have two batteries both of which kept going dead

Did i mention it was a helluva long time ago!?

________-Bananahamuck

ELECTRICAL THEORY BY JOSEPH LUCAS

Positive ground depends on proper circuit functioning, which is the

transmission of negative ions by retention of the visible spectral

manifestation known as “smoke”. Smoke is the thing that makes electrical circuits work. We know this to be true because every time one lets the smoke out of an electrical circuit, it stops working.

This can be verified repeatedly

through empirical testing.

For example, if one places a copper bar across the terminals of a battery, prodigious quantities of smoke are liberated and the battery shortly ceases to function. In addition, if one observes smoke escaping from an electrical component such as a Lucas voltage regulator, it will also be observed that the component no longer functions. The logic is elementary and inescapable!

The function of the wiring harness is to conduct the smoke from one device to another. When the wiring springs a leak and lets all the smoke out of the system, nothing works afterward.

Starter motors were considered unsuitable for British motorcycles for some time largely because they consumed large quantities of smoke, requiring very unsightly large wires.

It has been reported that Lucas electrical components are possibly more prone to electrical leakage than their Bosch, Japanese or American counterparts. Experts point out that this is because Lucas is British, and all things British leak. British engines leak oil, British shock absorbers, hydraulic forks and disk brake systems leak fluid, British tires leak air and British Intelligence leaks national defense secrets.

Therefore, it follows that British electrical systems must leak smoke. Once again, the logic is clear and inescapable.

In conclusion, the basic concept of transmission of electrical energy in the form of smoke provides a logical explanation of the mysteries of electrical components especially British units manufactured by Joseph Lucas, Ltd.

And remember: “A gentleman does not motor about after dark.”

Joseph Lucas “The Prince of Darkness”

1842-1903

A few Lucas quips:

The Lucas motto: “Get home before dark.”

Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.

Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF. The other three

switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start

Back in the ‘70s, Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which did not suck.

Q: Why do the British drink warm beer? A: Because Lucas makes their refrigerators.

This has been referred to as the smoke theory when the smoke comes out its finished, cooked or done for.

The reason that the English drink warm beer is that they all have Lucas refridgerators!

• Like 1