The Future of Nissan, Carlos Ghosn, pay attention.

HRH

Yes they could retool. But it's a 100 times cheaper to produce an international version in south Africa and ship it to the states than it is to produce them in Tennessee.

Increased profit margins increase market viability, allow for price reductions to increase market appeal, and allow Tennessee to keep making stuff just for the US market, increasing overall efficiency for Nissan.

If you don't think the repeal of the chicken tax will change the American truck industry, go read a few of the articles published about it over the last year.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nissan has evolved. A polite way of saying it once was US but WE stayed the same and they kept going. Asking Nissan to bring back 70s type cars is like trying to trade our arms and legs in for flippers so we can return to the sea. Let this subject fuckin' go.

Mike if going back can never be part of a companies plans for the future, then why did the retro styling of the mustang completely revitalize the pony car, enough so that it brought back both camaro and challenger?

Sometimes shedding excess weight and refocusing on primary goals is what a company needs. Jelly belly nearly went bankrupt because they spent tons of money making merchandise and other garbage. When they dumped that and went back to kick ass jelly beans, their profits returned.

That's all these people want. Nissan needs to focus a little, they are spreading themselves super thin.

But then again, they are one of the top manufacturers in the world. So maybe they do have it right and we just need to stop wishing for the past.

• Like 3

Mustang and Challenger are just body work. They simply 'look' somewhat like the originals. I said this before... How would you like to be driving your restored '69 COPO 427 3x2 bbl 4 speed RS Camaro and see dozens of moms and kids driving a new 'Camaro V6 auto'? Wow. how cool would that be? 

Now think 510

Corvette had them around '70 with the 427 L71 Four thirty five HP quickly lowered to 427 so that it didn't violate GM corperate's rule about building engines with over 1hp per cu in.

No the Camaro didn't get it, but if you knew enough to submit a COPO (central office production order?) work order you could have it built for you using available GM engines and parts. It was a sneaky way around a few rules. If COPO is still around today I imagine it's a joke.

Regardless, Nissan needs to build better looking cars.  If the car looks good, people will forgive many of the faults.  Of course, they should try to mimic Toyota for lack of issues in production.  Not now, because even they've fallen off.  But you know what I'm saying.  Make a 620 compact pickup again, please!!!!!

Corvette had them around '70 with the 427 L71 Four thirty five HP quickly lowered to 427 so that it didn't violate GM corperate's rule about building engines with over 1hp per cu in.

No the Camaro didn't get it, but if you knew enough to submit a COPO (central office production order?) work order you could have it built for you using available GM engines and parts. It was a sneaky way around a few rules. If COPO is still around today I imagine it's a joke.

I always forget about the vettes, you are correct they made the trip power vettes and you could copo a camaro with tripower but I doubt anyone did.

Regardless, Nissan needs to build better looking cars.  If the car looks good, people will forgive many of the faults.  Of course, they should try to mimic Toyota for lack of issues in production.  Not now, because even they've fallen off.  But you know what I'm saying.  Make a 620 compact pickup again, please!!!!!

Again it could be done with sheet metal looks.... and looks would be all it would be. There's no going back. Enjoy what you have. You know this is probably what it was like in '79 when the A10 came out... yeah they called it a 510 too.

I always forget about the vettes, you are correct they made the trip power vettes and you could copo a camaro with tripower but I doubt anyone did.

I think there was one example made. IIRC the 396 was an engine option so the 427/454 will fit (in the Camaro) but I did see a 427 in one Camaro that was several years old... so probably swapped in. It was a good job, even had the 427  fender emblems.

It's only the best thread ever if Nissan kicks Renault's butt out and returns to their roots.  And make the fucking Maxima RWD again!!!!!

Agreed!  The so called "Maxima" designation was a chronic marketing ploy to avoid the Porsche 900 series markrting numerornigy in the North Americial market arekea this led to the "Maxima" badge nomencicial for the Datsun / Nisan nomenclage for the badged 900 series as the 'MAXIMA" lineage. All to avoid a posssible copyright argument with VW/Porsche over the series designation! 

Porsche doesn't own the number 910 and the Porsche 910 was a race car so no competition really. Nissan has been using the dime designation since forever. The PL210 was the first in N Am in '58 up from the 110 in '55 Japan. It has progressed through 310s to 810s historically and a 910 series is next. It was 910 elsewhere in the world so why Maxima N Am? there were no 910 Porsches for sale or on the road by then.

Both Ferrari and Pontiac produced a GTO. Chev and Dodge both have 1500,2500 and 3500 trucks. Chev did get in trouble over the Beretta name in the the late '80s and paid $500,000 for the whoops. If Datsun changed, it was to get away from the number designation in N Am market altogether during the switch to the Nissan badging. Stanza (510), Sentra (210) , Pulsar (310), later the Hardbody when the 720 ran out all came out about then. I doubt Porsche had much to do with it.

There is still a very small market for compact trucks, and yes, Toyota still makes a .... "compact" truck. To add to the point at which why people love Toyota is because they (Toyota) have always been reliable and haven't really changed in terms of providing what people want at a reasonable price and above all -- PRICE!

Now, I seriously believe that if Nissan didn't sell out to Renault in circa '98 - '02 they would be right there with Toyota. I'm a technician at Toyota and I do a lot of "Used Cars", which means I do inspections and repairs on used cars that are traded in so I see a lot of makes and models. I find myself saying, way too often, fuck i hate this piece of shit Nissan. - in regards to late models, of course. 

Don't get me wrong though. I firmly believe there was no higher quality over Datsuns and Nissans up to the late 90s.

All I have to say is take a look at how amazing those little Sentras were in the late 80s and 90s. Sturdy, reliable, and simple to work on - even for EFI models. I'll never buy a new car for as long as i live.

Anyway, back to the topic of compact pick up trucks.........

Toyota makes the smallest truck on the market right now. Still widely available, but not common. Cheap too! Around $16k for these!

2WD, 4 cyl, and available in 5 speed.

6309_cc2400_032_4T3.jpg

AND THEN.... There's a really strange (to me) model of the Tundra which is also available......

These come with the 4.6L V8, the 5.7L V8, or the strong 4.0L V6 available in all Tacomas.

2WD, single cab short bed Tundra. While it's not .... "compact" it's still has the idea...

38449320001_large.jpg

Agreed! The so called "Maxima" designation was a chronic marketing ploy to avoid the Porsche 900 series markrting numerornigy in the North Americial market arekea this led to the "Maxima" badge nomencicial for the Datsun / Nisan nomenclage for the badged 900 series as the 'MAXIMA" lineage. All to avoid a posssible copyright argument with VW/Porsche over the series designation!

Reading this post hurt my brain.

• Like 1

Porsche doesn't own the number 910 and the Porsche 910 was a race car so no competition really. Nissan has been using the dime designation since forever. The PL210 was the first in N Am in '58 up from the 110 in '55 Japan. It has progressed through 310s to 810s historically and a 910 series is next. It was 910 elsewhere in the world so why Maxima N Am? there were no 910 Porsches for sale or on the road by then.

Both Ferrari and Pontiac produced a GTO. Chev and Dodge both have 1500,2500 and 3500 trucks. Chev did get in trouble over the Beretta name in the the late '80s and paid $500,000 for the whoops. If Datsun changed, it was to get away from the number designation in N Am market altogether during the switch to the Nissan badging. Stanza (510), Sentra (210) , Pulsar (310), later the Hardbody when the 720 ran out all came out about then. I doubt Porsche had much to do with it.

Just to add to the number designation thing......

Toyota and Ford went to battle when Toyota came out with the "T100"

1995_toyota_t100_regular-cab-pickup_dx_f

Toyota initially wanted to name it the Toyota T150 to compete with Ford's F150. You can clearly see the resemblance and understand why Ford was upset. Toyota settled with the name T100.

1998_ford_f-150_regular-cab-pickup_laria

and even beyond to the first gen Tundra (replacement of the T100) with the stepside..... Stupid, and ugly, if you ask me.

toyota 

1998001_2003_Tundra_StepSide-2-prv.jpg

ford

1998-Ford-F-150-Step-Side.jpg

If Nissan hadn't sold out to Renault, they likely would have ended up in a much worse place and just become a complete subsidy to someone else. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't. Renault money and shared tech allowed Nissan to finally push some new engines into their cars. Like it or not, Carlos ghosn and Renault helped make Nissan what they are right now. Sure, it could be better, but ask Pontiac if it could be lots worse

• Like 2