L20S ???

datzenmike

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry posted an oic of it.

I imagine Doug may have a few ideas. Note the usual block drain is missing just above where the starter would be. Also look just above and to the left of the core plug near the dip stick.... see that raised round casting boss???

Here's a mid 70s L20B block. No 'bump' and has the water jacket drain plug to the left.

L02Bblock002Large.jpg

I'm thinking the oil filter boss is different too. Should look like this...

oilfilterbypass.jpg

Idk what the significant differences are but there were both 6 and 4 cylinder L20s's. The gloria used a 6 cylinder L20s for a while and I have seen people looking of I4 L20s's in the UK

Maybe it has to do with the fuel its designed to run. The L20E is efi, the L20P is an LPG engine etc...

OK

The L20 is a 6 cylinder engine from the mid 60s. It was only later stamped L20A to distinguish it from the 4 cylinder L20B. There were no L20 4 cylinders that I know of.

Later 70s L20B block castings changed slightly because of their future intended use as Z20 (E and S and Z22 E and S) motors. This block has a raised boss just left and above the core plug by the dipstick for the outlet for the heater hose. On Z series motors the heater hose outlet is not on the heads. You can see it here...

Z22block005Large.jpg

The oil filter boss is also more like the Z20/22.

I just want to know why there is an S in L20S.

Maybe it has to do with the fuel its designed to run. The L20E is efi, the L20P is an LPG engine etc...

True but the B is only to show it's different from the A 6 cylinder. Nissan blocks are never stamped with E for fuel injection, S for carb or i for throttle body injection.

BTW this block was supposedly made in the late 80s for South Africa.

Mismarked?

The Nissan Laurel used both L20S and L20E engines, but they were 6-cyl. L20 (aka L20A) was a dual carb engine. L20E was EFI. L20S was single carb, as that's what "S" means. But it was a 6-cyl engine.

Which makes me think it's just mismarked.

All the L20B later-model engines I have look exactly like that, except for the "S". They say L20B ###### W.

I don't think this is true. I have three Z20s at the stop, two stamped Z20S once stamped Z20E?

Stamped right on the block? I had two Z20E engines the blocks were all stamped Z20 just to the rear of the #2 exhaust plug. It might BE a Z20 E or S but I've never seen them stamped thus.

Z20E is fuel injection, Z20S is carbureted. Think 1980s 510s. E pistons are substantially different from S pistons in the cars. Truck, I think they're the same. E are flattops, S are big dish. E pistons from a '80 510 were what I had in my L20 in the 510. As for the L20S, I'd guess it was a mistake also, but certainly interesting. It doesn't look like the right letter, like it's smaller, so maybe a mistake or afterthought.

Stamped right on the block? I had two Z20E engines the blocks were all stamped Z20 just to the rear of the #2 exhaust plug. It might BE a Z20 E or S but I've never seen them stamped thus.

All three of mine are. :thumbup:

Z20E is fuel injection, Z20S is carbureted. Think 1980s 510s. E pistons are substantially different from S pistons in the cars. Truck, I think they're the same. E are flattops, S are big dish. E pistons from a '80 510 were what I had in my L20 in the 510.

FWIW, rods are also different. The Z20E has the longest rods of any L/Z series engine. And VERY short pistons. :blink: