OldSkool's 521 Thread...the Mad Idiots Journal.

oldskoolvws

Old school mini trucker or not there no argueing the fact that u are putting two spring rates on each wheel and there is no disputing that will have a undesired effect......no one is challenging your knowledge about motors and controls ....simply stated what your doing will work but what your doing also is not optimal ......no amount of dampening with change the effect of psi as a function of spring rate .......and how it with act or respond to battling the spring rate of the latter....and I never said these things wouldn't work but more so that what your doing will not result in what your after .......I'm sorry u missed the point of my comment and took offense to it .....many people do do what your suggesting...yet its not widely accepted or attempted...corvette parts or not there is no argueing the physics of it .......your taking a static spring rate and coupling it with a active or adjustable spring rate .....and combining the two of them .........the result won't be affected whether u build a little truck or a slammed out truck ......but in the end its your truck and u will do as u see fit regardless of the basic concepts...good luck with it .....

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Old school mini trucker or not there no argueing the fact that u are putting two spring rates on each wheel and there is no disputing that will have a undesired effect......no one is challenging your knowledge about motors and controls ....simply stated what your doing will work but what your doing also is not optimal ......no amount of dampening with change the effect of psi as a function of spring rate .......and how it with act or respond to battling the spring rate of the latter....and I never said these things wouldn't work but more so that what your doing will not result in what your after .......I'm sorry u missed the point of my comment and took offense to it .....many people do do what your suggesting...yet its not widely accepted or attempted...corvette parts or not there is no argueing the physics of it .......your taking a static spring rate and coupling it with a active or adjustable spring rate .....and combining the two of them .........the result won't be affected whether u build a little truck or a slammed out truck ......but in the end its your truck and u will do as u see fit regardless of the basic concepts...good luck with it .....

Not quite my friend. The leafs I bought are linear, not progressive. This is equal pressure across the the entire spring rate, it does not increase as load is applied like normal progressive leafs which in this application is optimal. That's why when I found out the leafs were linear, I went with these shocks. If they were progressive, I would have went a completely different avenue. For the front, the 2-stage torsions are fully adjustable regarding spring rate and 2nd stage actuation which why again, these shocks were chosen. Keep in mind, if I fab the mounts correctly the shocks will never be on bottom (unless parked) nor maxed out. By doing that, yes I agree, I'll be all messed up. But if you remain in the working stroke, the air bag on this shock does not impact handling.

I think you may have these shocks mixed up with others though of the airbag family. Jrock you already know this but for those that don't, most airshocks or air bags (air springs) are just that. You ride on a cushion of air that enables ride height changes and load capacity increases, normally outside of the valving of the shock. This technology migrated over from the commercial sector (trailers and equipment isolation). What jrock is stating is that the ride on air changes the extension and rebound values or the spring designs depending of the rate and valving values of the shock. Valving on these is normally minimal because you want the bags on the shock to do the dirty work. However this type of passenger and sport air shocks (not load handling), it's slightly different. They are valved quite differently than the other types. They normally open the valving ports to allow more fluid stroke to increase ride comfort. They are designed to raise and lower the vehicle without compromise of ride quality and provide significant handling features, unlike the typical air bag or air shock which are made for heavier loads.

Currently I'm more worried about bump steer than anything.

Alright, we beat this up. It's what I'm running...unless I change my mind as usual.

I'll get you guys a picture of a Tesla Model S airspring. Damn, it's a beauty. Made by Bilstein. The thing is sick. When parked, it sits normal, the faster you go, it lowers to the point of rim tuck (slammed) for aerodynamics. I would have tried those but they're like 500' long :rofl:

Thanks jrock. I like insightful conversation more than 'I'm sticking an FJ in it"...CHEEHOO!

not spoken like a mini trucker of any kind.... :confused:

And this....that's what I use. I got to be honest, I love the creativity of body slammed and ground pounding mini's to a certain extent, not my style, but very creative. But I hate the FBSS airbag thing. The noise of the solenoids and the reliefs if not done right are annoying. I hate the whole drive down the freeway with something up and something down. it's just not me. But I respect it. We call them bouncers. Keep in mind, my first systems were straight oldskool hydraulics. Now those are teeth chattering.

I'm oldskool, I like small tuck, I like aggressive stances. And believe it or not, I built a few of the FBSS systems but I think I won't do it again. I've also done a lot of dancing beds. I'm actually thinking about running a reverse dump on Tiki but that's later if I do.

I think Big Tanker said it best, those from Hawaii have their very own style, unlike the rest.

• Like 1

so blocks and re index right.lolcuz you so akami

Yeah...a'ole on da akamai, mo like papule'.

da akamai caca pupu papule :lol:

sorry just trying to fit in :blush:

ka fj sr Bra. That's all I got... :rofl:   All you Island boys crack me up...

mahalo

Ka umla ufa

ufa atu.

Hey Mr Big, Give me all your Kali you pa akiki pipi

How you like Bra

i have no idea what the fuck is going on!!!!!!