So I guess I start here.

Hello all,

My name is Jeremy. I go by Hoosier or Big Papa. I have NEVER owned anything that has been lowered. I just aquired a 1970 pickup. Not sure of the model I will have to look. The plan is to put an engine in it and run it. I want to notch the frame and put airbags on it so it will lay frame. Now here is the part that might get me kicked out of here, I will be running a Toyota 22ret with a toy 5spd and a toyota 8" rear. why you might ask... I already have all the parts to run it. pics when I can.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What will get you kicked out is not posting pics even though you mention them.

Sounds like a good project. I'm not a big fan of bastardized swaps, but at least it's not a Honduh engine.

Now get those pictures coming.

Welcome to Ratsun!

I don't know how you got the name Big Papa but make sure you will like driving in it before you do all the work. They are cool LITTLE trucks.

Don't worry about the Toyota engine swap. Engine swaps are supposed to piss some people off.

Be prepared for the comments about not using a Nissan engine. There's some really good Nissan engines out there, KA24DE, SR20DET, VG30E, etc. I know you say you have the parts already, but you'll hear the comments about "why'd you use a Toyota motor" for the rest of the time you own the truck. Even if it's well done, it will always be a sort of bastard child ride. My advice would be to source a Nissan powerplant, you'll be welcomed much more openly into the Datsun fold. Plus, everyone here knows the Nissan engines like no tomorrow, they can all tell you anything you need to know, so switching to something that's new to you won't be that big of a deal.

..... I will be running a Toyota 22ret with a toy 5spd and a toyota 8" rear. why you might ask... I already have all the parts to run it. pics when I can.

Many have come here asking how to do this and get really ragged on because they simply didn't say " I already have all the parts to run it" until it was too late. Stating your intentions and why up front really softens the blow. I think it's still going to be a PL521 even with a 'Yoda drive train in it. You'll likely have questions about the brakes, steering, electrical, suspension anyway.

Thx for all the feed back. Flack is nothing new to me. Big Papa came from my off road club... out of almost 100 members and 50 trucks I am the first to have kids, Hoosier, I am born and raised indy country boy. The 22re I know VERY VERY well. I have been building toyotas forever but like i said all my trucks have gone up not down. I know that with a 22ret built right with a 2wd tranny and 3.73 gears in a toyota 8" 35 mpg is not hard to hit. I went over to m shop tonight to look at it and it is a 521. It will take some work but getting it on the road should not be an issue. I have put things that dont belong in vech a lot through the years.

big family wheeler - big blu

My 97 cheby sas on 37s

My pride and joy 85 yota lovingly known as section 8

And my final yota done up with the smurf theme in full force. 92 sas MEAN AS IT GETS in the world of rock crawlers (stock class at least)

i pledge allegiance to nissan (see sig) but toyota comes in as a close second (again, sig.)

i am a purist ( & nostalgic) and i wouldnt put anything but a nissan made engine in a nissan, or toyota engine in a toyota.

but i do have respect and appreciation for the ingenuity and craftsmanship of some of the non-family swaps.

a big part of ratsun is taking watcha got and making it work, in your case a toyo engine in a nissan.

so welcome, and keep us posted. we love pics!