Weird idea. Input?

datsunfreak

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's photoshop so it's going to fit right? The picture of the car and the grill would need to shot at the same distance from the camera. Otherwise it could be foreshortened by distance.

That's not required. They just have to be taken from the same angle and when you scale the grille to fit, just make sure you constrain proportions.

First off, it's going to take WAY more work than you think. And in all likelihood not going to work in the end anyways. So don't waste a perfectly good 610 grille on it, when there's probably guys out there with 610's that would be happy to have the grille.

Plus, 510 guys are a finicky bunch, and most of them would honestly think it was stupid. If you ever went to sell the car they'd want the 510 grille back on, and the modded 610 one would go into the trash anyhows.

Makes me wonder what a 610 would look like with a 510 grill ;)

510 grill too small in diameter, so... Weird.

also take into account how much deeper the 610 grill is vs a 510

Indeed. Looks as though it will require removal of the center support at least. Deeper around the headlight for sure, but not too deep.

so like Tristan say's . if it fits in MS paint it will fit . but if it's 3 inches wider than a 510 grill, and it fits with MS paint, then you know it's going to be too tall/wide .. . cut it down the middle, hot-dog and hamburger style.. glue it back together .. profit?

From my test fit, it's at most 1" too wide, and looks more like maybe 1/4-1/2" too wide. That's the distance between the headlights mind you. Overall it's about 2" too wide.

From the looks of it, all of the trimming will be around the eyebrows and on the bottom edge. It will take quite a bit of massaging, but will fill the hole a lot better than the stock grill. In the end, it'll basically be like the '73 510 grill except with the big depression in the center. I'll take some better measurements tonight. If it has to be sectioned in the center (as in headlight holes too far apart), I'm probably bailing on this idea. Don't mind trimming the edge, but don't want to section it. The grill surface is deeply textured so sectioning is a deal breaker. I doubt it can be done to a point that no one can tell it's been sectioned, short of sanding the entire thing smooth and getting rid of the texture altogether.

Anyone have a cracked one to donate to the cause? B)

First off, it's going to take WAY more work than you think.

Bold statement, considering you have absolutely no idea how much work I think it will be. ^_^

And in all likelihood not going to work in the end anyways. So don't waste a perfectly good 610 grille on it, when there's probably guys out there with 610's that would be happy to have the grille.

All good points.

Plus, 510 guys are a finicky bunch, and most of them would honestly think it was stupid. If you ever went to sell the car they'd want the 510 grille back on, and the modded 610 one would go into the trash anyhows.

1. Not planning on ever selling it (if you see the build thread, you'll know why).

2. Definitely not selling it with the grill attached (if I like it).