My 521: Project B

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm faced with some choices here. The truck as it stands, has an L16 and 4 speed.  Based on good advice from a few folks here, I figured the best way to go for me, would be an L20 and 5 speed, to get the power and reliability I need for a daily driver.  I've decided that buying a used engine (either from private seller or a wrecking yard) is not an option for me. Even if I got my hands on a good used engine, I don't have a mechanic to rebuild it.

I talked with Tom Neely down in LA. He'll sell a rebuilt LZ22, L-series head on 2.2 liter block, stock bore, stock cam, new pistons, bearings, rings, valves, retainers,
springs, seals, gaskets, & timing chain kit. With an open chamber head, the cost would be about $1900. 

A similar option for an LZ23, with large bore pistons, bearings, rings, valves, retainers, springs, seals, gaskets, timing chain kit.  Add a "street race" cam and comp springs, again with open chamber head, will run about $3000. 

I'm probably going to go with the LZ22 and put the L16 and 4 speed into the Project C truck.

I didn't spend that much, but I have a machine shop I take everything to because they are reasonable, but they are not fast in any sense of the word, right now is a very bad time to take anything there, as the race season has started, and race cars take priority.

As long as the LZ22 was put together correctly, and they already have others out there already without issues, I would likely go that route.

I have the LZ23, but I did all the drilling except for the oil dipstick hole, it cost me about $1500.00, and the shop bought all the parts including the "Z" block engine gasket kit that came with the oil pump, and they put the block together, and rebuilt the super head, I had to buy all the "L" block gaskets for the head.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it was John Lennon who said that life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.  I should be receiving a new weber 32/36 with manual choke this week.  I'm searching now for a rebuilt 5 speed transmission, reworking the tail lights, and fabricating mud flaps.  Additionally I'm taking the bumperettes off (keeping them, however) and will replace it with an old school Bardon bumper - possibly chromed.  I'll post pics later.

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress.  I've found an L20 out of a 1980 720 truck.  Also have a line on a 5 speed trans out of a 1983 720 truck.  Don't yet know if it's from a 2WD or 4x4.  What I don't know is, will I have to modify the transmission mounts, drive shaft, yokes front and back, all to make the 5 speed work?  From what I've read all the 5 speeds from 720 trucks are long tail.  Even with the extra hassle I'd rather have a truck transmission than a car.

I have a long shaft 5 speed in one of my 521 trucks. 

View of trans mount.

TransMount1.jpg

Another view of trans mount.

TransMount2.jpg

View of driveshaft yoke.

TransYoke2.jpg

This is a view of the plate inside the cab.  I cut out a new hole for the shifter, and used that metal to patch the original hole.  The shifter does clear a stock bench seat, but the seat is near the rearward end of the seat adjustment.

P1010765.jpg

I used some Z-car speedometer cable, and only hooked up the reverse light switch.  I did have the front half of the drive shaft shortened.

I did the swap without taking the engine out of the truck.

<p>I know Wayno did an excellent thread about adapting a 720 transmission.  The shop with the transmission said they can marry up an "L series" bell housing to make the 5 speed bolt up to an L20, but probably I have to find pick and pull front and rear yokes.  This is not a new thing, just new to me but I'm learning thanks to great advice from you guys.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Edit: From Datzen Mike (and probably Wayno was telling me this but I didn't register it) the 5 speed from the 720 truck was attached to a Z 20 engine which means it won't bolt up to an L series motor without a "tilt" that will put the shift lever off to the side.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ok..all that said.  My plan is to buy the engine from the auto recycle place, and see if the 5 speed they have (still in the vehicle) will bolt up evenly.  If not, I won't buy the transmission and will keep searching.</p>

Thank you for posting those pictures of the new trans mount! I bought an L20b & 5 speed from a '78 620 king cab to go into mu '72 521. I'm wondering how difficult it will be to fit the transmission in there.

This is all you need to do to you stock trans mount. On my 70 521 I had to remove 2 inches but I also swapped in a Z20 engine at the same time.

TransMountMod.jpg

IMG_0555_zps9761cc9a.jpg

The top picture is from I believe and old post of Izzo's The second one ifs from a Ratsun member that did a great writeup on this mod for the five speed.

I drew the lines on Izzo's picture to show him what was needed.

Charlie, thanks for posting the pic of the trans mount! It really cleared up what needs to be done to the mount,& while I don't weld (yet),i can use your photo to show the welder what has to be done.

You are welcome. 

Rocket Dog the 5 speed & the automatics are the same yokes.  Also 1980 720 had L20B's and 5 speeds, as did the 78/79 620.  I have a 1980 720 reg cab 1 piece driveline that if you pay the shipping you can have it.  this will need to be shortened to fit your 521.  You can also use a 520 1 piece drive shaft in your 521.

Wayno is a great source of information.

• Like 1

You are welcome. 

Rocket Dog the 5 speed & the automatics are the same yokes.  Also 1980 720 had L20B's and 5 speeds, as did the 78/79 620.  I have a 1980 720 reg cab 1 piece driveline that if you pay the shipping you can have it.  this will need to be shortened to fit your 521.  You can also use a 520 1 piece drive shaft in your 521.

Wayno is a great source of information.

Thanks!!  Let me see what the yard comes up with, hopefully this week. 

• 4 weeks later...

Finally have the engine and transmission.  L20B with a W38 (?) head that came from a 720 truck.  The 5 speed matched up well, now the mechanic is going through the engine, inspecting and replacing the gaskets, etc.  It was a running engine, good compression, so I won't rebuild it just yet.  Also found a new guy for the electrical work and hope to meet with him next week.  My goal is for this to be a daily driver by the end of August.  I've been trying to get this one done for awhile, it's always little set backs that accompany lots of projects.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the latest. It's at the mechanic for a final check of brakes, fuel lines, etc. I had, lost, found, lost again, a good "electrical guy". Still working to solve that one. Keeping this now, with the stock L16/4 speed. My recently procured L20B and 5 speed will go into the Project C truck. I think another post or three and this project will be "done". Unless it's not.  If you look closely you can see the tail lights still need tweaking, and the side marker lights aren't mounted right with the gasket so they look askew..I'll fix that.

ProjectB003_zps1d1433f8.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...