My 521: Project B

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to attend JCCS, I'll be up near Sacramento starting in July.

Honestly, I've learned a lot from the first build, basically paying others to do the work.  After the past few weeks sitting in the rain, and also the fact that the truck is near the ocean, it's starting to show rust along the cargo hooks and under the rim of the bed line.  That coupled with a few other dings from being towed, and at the mechanics shop, I'm pretty much decided this is going to be a work truck with a nice interior.

I'll circle back and start re-working a lot of the stuff like electrical, the interior crap, better tail lights etc.  At least I have a decent truck to work with.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Update: I traded my project C truck (the red one) to a friend Manny in exchange for work on this truck that got missed in the build. 

For example, painting the frame, fixing some of the electrical connections, rehabilitating and installing the JDM style tail lights/brackets, fabricating a glove box and parcel tray, replacing the aluminum brake lines, and fabricating transmission mounts for a 5 speed.  Here are a few photos of some of the work that's underway.

IMG_20140702_225145_817_zps9be902dc.jpgimagejpg4_zps4269b548.jpgimagejpg1_zps2c9a6e52.jpgIMG_20140702_205350_409_zps4dc67c6d.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I haven't posted in awhile.  This one is in the road, starting to earn it's keep.  I've made three trips so far from Oxnard to Sacramento.  The only issue was the truck running hot when I was pulling the trailer.  Oddly enough it did the grapevine climb just fine, but on the long interstate 5 haul it would run a little hot.

Two issues fixed, the lower bracket on the alternator was loose and the thermostat was also stuck (gunked up).  Did a flush, replaced thermostat.  The radiator might be gunked, as recommended here in another thread, I will try some CLR to clean it out but will probably buy an aluminum radiator.

Trailer03_zps065772b7.jpg

• Like 2

I love it when a Datsun truck earns it's keep.

Briefly, try to flush it again.  This is what I do to flush my 521.

Remove the radiator, and the thermostat, put the thermostat cover and upper radiator hose back on.

Put the lower radiator hose back on, and push a garden hose inside the lower radiator hose, do not turn on the water yet.

Remove the block water jacket drain plug, above the starter.  Get an air hose, with a nozzle, close to the starter side of the truck.

Now turn on the water.  Put your finger over the block drain hole. When water starts coming out of the upper radiator hose, blow compressed air into the block drain.  Keep repeating the filling of the engine with water, and then blowing air into the block drain hole until the water stays clean.  You may have to repeat this many times.

Do the same with the radiator. 

I would get a thermostat from your local Nissan dealer.  They will cost more than a chain auto parts store thermostat, but Nissan parts are much higher quality.

• Like 2

I love it when a Datsun truck earns it's keep.

Briefly, try to flush it again.  This is what I do to flush my 521.

Remove the radiator, and the thermostat, put the thermostat cover and upper radiator hose back on.

Put the lower radiator hose back on, and push a garden hose inside the lower radiator hose, do not turn on the water yet.

Remove the block water jacket drain plug, above the starter.  Get an air hose, with a nozzle, close to the starter side of the truck.

Now turn on the water.  Put your finger over the block drain hole. When water starts coming out of the upper radiator hose, blow compressed air into the block drain.  Keep repeating the filling of the engine with water, and then blowing air into the block drain hole until the water stays clean.  You may have to repeat this many times.

Do the same with the radiator. 

I would get a thermostat from your local Nissan dealer.  They will cost more than a chain auto parts store thermostat, but Nissan parts are much higher quality.

Is this the block water jacket drain plug you referred to or is it only where the heater port is connected?

heaterport_zps949d2904.jpg

• Like 1

I have only L-16, and L-18 engines, but the plug is on the block, not the head.  The plug has a 14MM head, and will be tight.

By flushing this way, you stir up a lot of sediment that settles around the number 4 cylinder, because it is farthest away from the water pump flow.

• Like 1

Thanks very much guys.  Related topic, the water pump.  I bought a new water pump for an 84 L20 motor and what I learned is it came with a fan clutch attached.  I don't believe there's enough clearance to install the water pump, so I want to install an L16 water pump instead.  Any problem with installing an L16 water pump on an L20 engine?

• Like 1

never heard of a 7 blade L16 fan before maybe if it had a fan clutch option.(Rockauto has fan clutch L16)

all I seen were the 4 blade 510/521s

I think that's the fan that came on the stock L20 engine when it was in a 720 series truck.  I also believe the water pump is either an L16 pump or an L20 water pump with the fan clutch removed - if there is even a difference between the two.  It works, is protected by a fan shroud, so I probably won't mess with the fan.  I'll have the radiator rebuilt and maybe replace the water pump. I have two tech manuals that describe the PCV and "emission" systems for the 521 L16 and the 720 L20 engines.  I get lost in all the terms and need pictures to sort of align the two designs to make sure I have the PCV routed correctly.  It's complicated (a little) by the fact that I have a weber with it's custom air filter instead of the stock Nissan air cleaner.  Somewhere on the forum is a template to make the stock air cleaner fit on the weber, maybe then connecting all the hoses will be more straight forward.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Greetings.  This truck is my daily driver, although there remains more work to be done.  I just completed my 3rd round trip between Sacramento and Ventura, CA.  Runs good, temps are okay, but I'm worried about a few things. I would sum it up by saying the fundamentals of the truck are good, but that 10% across the board of other things like:

- minor shorts in the electrical system

- too much (?) oil vapor out from the fill cap on the valve cover

- interior stuff like making a glove box and parcel tray

I'm comfortable tooling around the Sacramento area in the truck but will probably shy away from anymore long trips until I am more confident about getting other issues resolved.

• Like 1

Go through electrical and make necessary repairs.

Is your PCV valve setup like the picture above?  Is your PCV valve stuck? Are your piston rings worn?

I have a glove box liner you may have just pay the shipping.

Go through electrical and make necessary repairs.

Is your PCV valve setup like the picture above?  Is your PCV valve stuck? Are your piston rings worn?

I have a glove box liner you may have just pay the shipping.

Electrical, yes in the short term that's what I'm doing. Longer term I want to remake the harness.

The PCV is brand new and the lines are routed correctly to the evap tank in the truck bed. I'm unclear if this being an L20 motor means the layout of the tubing should be different?

I have a glove box liner, but it's really shot. 40+ year old pressboard, or whatever they made that from.  I'll PM you about your glove box liner.

• Like 1