My 521: Project B

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The steering wheel arrived.  It's a 15 inch wood wheel from GT Grant with an adapter kit. It's got more of a "dish" to it than I expected, we'll see how it fits.  Also I might want to put some kind of finish on the wheel, like shellac or varnish, or maybe just a leather wrap.

woodwheel02_zps7dea6806.jpg

woodwheeladapterkit_zps5ac17752.jpg

It seems like the last 5 percent effort takes the longest.  I'm still looking for a windshield and the solution will probably be Pilkington Glass (they just quoted me $298 each).  Currently I'm looking for sources for:

- the chrome trim screws that hold the sun visors, mirror, etc inside the cab

- an after market replacement mirror.  The bracket is ok but the plastic rear view mirror is crumbling

- mud flaps. 

Finding new bolts and screws for a 521 is easy.

All the body fasteners for a 521 are American SAE threads.  That commonly is described as "fine thread"

The interior mirror, sun visors, and many other parts on the 521 are held with a #10-32 screw.  The type of screw head is a Phillips oval head.  I would suggest getting Stainless steel ones.

Almost any semi decent hardware store should have them.  You could probably go to a national fastener, like Fastenal, and get exactly what you want.

I usually hit McMaster Carr, but we have an awesome hardware store here in Oxnard, very old school.  It's the the point where when I go in there (Keenes Hardware) they ask me how the truck is coming along.

Thanks for the info Daniel.

Fastenal was just a nationwide suggestion.  I have bought threaded hardware for a Datsun 521 at Fastenal, Oregon bolt, Coastal Farm, Ace hardware, the local Nissan dealer, and even scrounged Pick-n-Pull.   If you want to spend a lot of money, go to a boat shop, or marine supply store.

But here is a way to reduce the price.  Buy a box on some of the commonly used bolts, or screws.  For example, you could probably use the same #10-32 x 3/4  Phillips head oval machine screw for the mirror mount, the sun visors, the door handles, and I am pretty sure thay are used in other places.  #10-32 screws are used to hold the headlight bucket assembly, the taillights, the licence plate light, and the cover in the bed for the vapor separator, but these are pan head screws.

I bought a box of pan head screws from McMaster, they come in 100 ea for just under 9 bucks, and lock washers were about 5 bucks for 2 packs of 25 ea.  All stainless steel.

I ordered them Saturday, they shipped today, I'll have them Mon or Tuesday because their warehouse is in LA.  Absolutely agree there are lots of solutions.

Early 90-something Toyota pickup. They need new holes to mount, I'll post details of how I "hardware my way through that" but otherwise they're a good fit for the cab. I wanted headrests and since the PO had already installed the seat I built on that.

For Project C, I think I'll go with the standard 521 bench seat and fabricate a head rest that attaches to the seat back via velcro. I've seen pics here of guys that had it done.