My 521: Project B

520 dash top is all metal no padding......and i used the original 521 lower dash half as i like the stamped metal instead of the smooth bottomed 520 dash......they bolt to gether and in the location ... i powdercoated them two different colors

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

520 dash top is all metal no padding......and i used the original 521 lower dash half as i like the stamped metal instead of the smooth bottomed 520 dash......they bolt to gether and in the location ... i powdercoated them two different colors

Ah...its a combo.  So taking off the padding on my stock 521 dash won't give me that look.  I know they can re-cover the dash, just the thought of 40 year old foam rubber under there bugs me.  More important, I really like the look you achieved with that -- particularly the two-tone thing. 

I've seen folks use this stuff before, the silver stuff.  I'm  wondering about the pros and cons?  It's for sound deadening, right?  Does moister gather under there (based on experience)?  If I was going to go with it now would be a good time. 

SilverStuff_zpsa74c4b4b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the headliner.  I had a setback yesterday, I bought two windshields from a yard in Klammath Falls -- turns out they are not 521 windshields. I know I told the guy what I needed, I know he said that's what he had. I hate to think he was lying, but...pretty f***ing annoying.  I have a lead on a glass place in LA that makes glass.  We'll see if it pans out.

Headliner2_zps35e2063e.jpg

f u do this i reccomend a flat color on the dash top ....as my friends is gloss black and he hates the glare it produces  and we will be changing that

Agreed. When I did mine, I used straight SEM semi gloss. Looks pretty good I think. Glad I went this route. I have a NOS 521 top that I may let go of someday....

dsc00011pc.jpg

just had wayno drop off a couple 520 dassh tops and lowers to powdercoat .... the reasons i mention... he alsu dropped off metal 520 ash trays......there sweet.....i see old school did the same as i did and used the plastic textured 521 one......i will snap some pics as we powdercoat waynos stuff....

i want that radio old school.....and that wheel is pure sweetness nice job

Okay wait a minute here, I'm getting visions of not niceness. Is my macbook stupid or are those vents yellow? If it's yellow, please don't tell me you have plans of ricer grandeur. But then again, you might be some kind of freak with that zebra stripe stuff too.

Yea...I know. The yellow vents match the yellow of the truck. Frankly I'm worried - if when it all comes together the look doesn't flow, I'll have the vents painted to match the fabric of the dash.

I'm really on the fence about the ash tray. Whether or not to incorporate the ash tray or just leave the dash smooth. I'm leaning toward no ash tray.

There's a parcel tray the upholstery guy made up from aluminum, haven't seen that yet. That's going to be another decision point whether or not to paint the parcel tray, leave it brushed aluminum, or cover in fabric.

The "zebra" is just left over masking paper the guy used to mask when he painted the steering column.

My take would be loose the ashtray, blend in a dual or triple gauge pod that sits on top and cover it all to make it look stock-ish. That would look good me thinks.

Did you mean pad?  Like a "built up" portion of the dash to show the shape of where the ashtray was?  Maybe a spot to place the GPS mount?

I'll ask, maybe Project C will have that. 

I bought tires last week, Hankook's in the stock size 195x14x75 with a whitewall.  I think that will go good with stock rims and chrome hubcaps.

• 2 weeks later...