Help on L16 motor build?!

Wolfman

I recently bought 3 1972 datsun 510 4 doors, two are runners and the other is a complete parts car. All the motors are L16's, I am new to these motors and would like to know the best way to build this motor. I dont want to swap for an L20 or anything,just interested in the L16, any info, advice, or experience would be much appreciated!!!!!

-Thank you.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if it were mine I would do an L20b but its not so

flat top pistons ones from an L24 240 z motor will work

A87 head port and polish

duel webers or mikunies

more simple a single downdraft weber 32/36

stock manifold is good or header if you like but not needed

you can get a bolt in higher pressure oil pump forget what motor its from or beef the pressur spring up in the stock one

mild cam grind or more if you desire

What do you mean by best way to build?

Trying to get more horsepower? Faster launch? Higher top speed?

120 hp is realistic without getting into cams, pistons, etc. Forced induction can get you pretty high up there.

This seems to do the job for most-

Dual sidedrafts

Electronic ignition

Quality cap, wires, plugs.

Proper fluids and fluid levels.

Ram air

Drive it like an expensive whore tha you only have 15 minutes with.

Don't expect an absurd amount of power. Some people get a datto and are all like "Dis shiz too slow I wanna go faster. I can't keep up with my friends"

Keep in mind that it is a 40 year old car that in it's prime was a slick, quick, sexy machine. It is a dinosaur compared to your average 90's sedan. Now don't get me wrong, they scoot pretty good. A skilled driver in a 510 sedan can smoke a dumb kid in a 250hp civic. Ther'e no processor running the engine. No electronic sensors deciding what to do and when. Just a person in the driver seat.

Drive it and see. You become one with the Datsun. There is nothing between you and the road besides tires. Make those tires do exactly what you want them too. As you drive, you become more in tune to with your car. You will learn it's capabilities, it's limits, and how to push it to those limits. Many of those limits can be surpassed with simple adjustments and modifications. Any datsun can be a race winner on a very low budget. And thousands of them were and still are.

The way Datsuns die, besides maliciousness and random occurences, is OVERHEATING THE ENGINE. But even then they tend to still run on 2 or 3 cylinders.

Keep that in mind and regulary maintain the cooling system. Maintain proper coolant level. Inspect your radiator. Test your thermostat. Get a good temp gauge and use it in conjunction with the factory one.

Now pics or get the fuck out.

• Like 3

when i say build i just mean in general, no real specifics, just what i could possibly do to it ( on a reasonable budget) things like pistons, injectors, turbos etc..

Here are some pics. (if they come out as code ill try again) i dont have any of the parts car yet, all the cars are back home and im at WSU.

P8270083.jpg

P8210077.jpg

P8210076.jpg

P8210075.jpg

426269_405960592792580_1470603900_n.jpg

550437_405960289459277_1366566511_n.jpg

when i say build i just mean in general, no real specifics, just what i could possibly do to it ( on a reasonable budget) things like pistons, injectors, turbos etc..

There are no injectors on a 510 nor is there a turbo or a kit for one. If wanting EFI and a turbo I think it would violate your ( on a reasonable budget) clause.

You can rebuild a stock L20B for the same price as rebuilding an L16, if you find one. The L20B will, in stock condition, make about 15 to 20 hp more than the stock L16. It would take lots of money and parts to add 20 hp to an L16.

I waa just thinking it would be cool to keep the car as original as possible (besides supension and wheels). but It seems that I should really put in a l20 based on what you guys are saying. What would need to be done to make an L20 work? Motor mounts etc?

Research, research, research. The internet has billions of pages of Datsun 'stuff' on L motors available. Learn all you can about them and become a guru. Read anything on motors here on Ratsun in General Technical and Engine. This isn't something that can be learned in a few minutes, it takes time, and we can help, but you need to get up to speed and ask the right questions.

The L 4 cylinder motor came in 3 sizes... L16/L18 and the L20B. Outwardly they look the same and much of the differences are internal, so if you want your 510 to look stock an L20B will look like just that. Except that your L20B will make about 15 more hp and pull harder than the L16. Class dismissed.

Except that your L20B will make about 15 more hp and pull harder than the L16. Class dismissed.

the l20 has alot more torque too you will appreciate that later and then what he said

Don't let mike scare you off. There is plenty to learn yes, but I know very little compared to someone I'd label a Guru. And I dropped an L20 into my girl with little more than a conversation over a beer. I let the pros do the Head work before the swap. Then I spent waaaay more time than is logical trying to love the stock hitachi carb, and points. Lose those and save many many days of your life. Guys like Mike are a hugely valuable resource. Wish this site existed when I started out!

Sorry it's been taking me so long to get back to u guys. I think one of the cars might have an L20 in it but I haven't been home to check yet. I got all three cars in Oregon and yes one of them is from bend. The other two I got as a package deal in Arlington. My parts car is orange but I haven't taken anything off of it. The blue car was originally orange that's why it has orange parts. And all three cars are completely strait on the outside. Only the blue one has a nice interior tho

looks like the engine has either been cleaned thoroughly or rebuilt already, are you sure it is an L16 and not an L20b?

This is an L16 or L18. Look at the top of the water pump and the valve cover.... over on the left side is a black strap that supports the alternator. There is only one bolt here. Also note the gap between the water pump and the valve cover.

5Gb5Ed5Ma3Gd3N63H4c8u4eb766bcdfff16e9.jpg

This is my L20B cover. The L20B blocks are 2cm (or 3/4") taller than the L16/18 and have two bolts on each side. Look how much wider the gap is between the water pump and valve cover.

LZandKA24Etimingcovers001Large.jpg