Restoring an M1 Garand

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I fired my dad's M1 one time about 40 years ago. I have no idea what happened to it after his death, probably one of BIL's got it. I wish he was around, I'd ask him if it was his from WWII or just one he picked up in the states. He had two stocks for it, the short stock he use for deer hunting. We were together with several uncles and me with about 10 cousins firing guns at a couple of old water heaters and some fallen logs. Each kid was allowed to shoot one round, i was about 10, I still remember the recoil and weight. Then out came the wierd guns and my uncles 44mag. My dad, not wanting to be one upped, took out a couple rounds of what he called " armor piercing" rounds. He fired one at the water heater, sitting in front of the wood pile, then a second or two later we heard, bam, bam, bam as the round entered the woods off in the distance. I have no idea how many trees the round passed through, but dad did not fire any more of those rounds ever again.

there you go spray can it. your done.!!!!!!!!!

I did my mod 70 300WSM in camo spray can look pretty good

got the later version of the Garand. a Springfield M1A w a Harrington Richardson barrel gas group.

The New Springfield is not the same as the old. They went defeunct.

Believe it or not Beretta made or refurbed alot of garands and then made the Italian Version M14 called the BM59.

Personally these guns are heavy MOFOs and would carry soemthing else depend on terrain.

Afhanistan good. trucks ,Humvees

Jungle bad!!!! maybe M1 carbine?

The best jungle weapon I ever saw was when I watched a South Vietnamese [ARVN] patrol load up into a flying banana helicopter at Than Son Nhuit Air Base Saigon in 1962. They had full automatic JC Higgins or High Standard [who after all manufactured them] 12 gauge shotguns with what looked like 10 or 15 round vertical clips loaded with GI full length brass cartridges, not under barrel magazines with paper rounds. Brush moved? No problem! No more brush or whoever was behind it.

there you go spray can it. your done.!!!!!!!!!

I did my mod 70 300WSM in camo spray can look pretty good

got the later version of the Garand. a Springfield M1A w a Harrington Richardson barrel gas group.

The New Springfield is not the same as the old. They went defeunct.

Believe it or not Beretta made or refurbed alot of garands and then made the Italian Version M14 called the BM59.

Personally these guns are heavy MOFOs and would carry soemthing else depend on terrain.

Afhanistan good. trucks ,Humvees

Jungle bad!!!! maybe M1 carbine?

The BM59 was a select fire rifle [built on the M1 action, not the M14 and featured full auto or semi auto action]. All imported [into the USA ] were demilled versions rebuilt to insure only semiautomatic operation.