Restoring an M1 Garand

Brought these puppies home today from my old high school with my brother :thumbup: He's in ROTC and is master at arms.

They decided to allow him to bring home two of their M1 Garand show guns that they use for parades to clean up a little rust. And yes, these are 100% real, de-commissioned firearms. The school has 28 more of these rifles that I'm hoping I can get my hands on.

Little do they know we're turning it into a full blown gun restoration :devil:

Following their plans, we're stripping every last removable piece of the guns to strip, clean, and paint. Except the aluminum bits that are to be polished.

The guns history is pretty much unknown, but we do know they were at some point at war. Gonna try and trace them back a little further using their serial numbers and some other marking.

Anyways, here's some pics to start us off.

8022002697_e6d10bfc61_b.jpg

_DSC0109 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

This is some pretty interesting Greek markings on the bottom of GUN 1's stock. Trying to translate this and hopefully learn something cool.

8022004650_1a17af8ba7_b.jpg

_DSC0112 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

Serial plate on GUN 1

8022002255_2b1ae51825_b.jpg

_DSC0113 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

The stain on the wood is fresh on both guns.

8022002065_1983029139_b.jpg

_DSC0114 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8022001907_06cc192cb1_b.jpg

_DSC0115 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8022004110_11a26475c7_b.jpg

_DSC0116 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

When the guns were decommissioned, BOTH were cut down the bottom of the barrel, firing pins removed, triggers welded, and action welded shut. These guns will never fire again.

8022001637_4b8fbf6332_b.jpg

_DSC0117 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

This picture I find to be VERY interesting, because it's marked for a 7.62 NATO round, but the M1 Garand fired a .30-06.

8022001471_6e8eef2518_b.jpg

_DSC0118 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8022003694_a41185a67d_b.jpg

_DSC0119 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

For the most part, a completely disassembled gun. With only one tool, it can be stripped in less then 2 minuets.

8022003544_ffdf3b9ac5_b.jpg

_DSC0121 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

very cool !

Get an appraisal prior to "restoring" them. May be worth more if "unmolested@.

yeah usually always worth more un-touched. But are de-commisioned as well apparently.

is painting required by the "clean-up" or is re-blueing/touch-up blueing the parts that are orginally blued an option ?

For the ones that are able to fire ...

The "ting" of the clip hitting the ground is just awesome ...

Peep sights are always second to none (for me)

and the clip flying forward when ejected---> is just cool (on my winchester made one at least it does)

very cool !

yeah usually always worth more un-touched. But are de-commisioned as well apparently.

is painting required by the "clean-up" or is re-blueing/touch-up blueing the parts that are orginally blued an option ?

The "ting" of the clip hitting the ground is just awesome ...

and the clip fly's forward---> (on my winchester made one at least it does)

Well, his commander specified she wanted all of the metal bits painted back 'gloss black' although I honestly thing that bluing them would be much cooler, especially since it is actually proper for them anyways.

Always wanted to shoot one of these! Holding one is just a great feeling. They're so well balanced!

EDIT: actually, according to some research on bluing, I actually found that originally, Garands weren't blued. They were parkerized,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkerizing

Well, he doesn't own them. The government still does, that's why they're used by the ROTC for marching drills.

The 7.62 chambered M1 is a M1 Mk2. Could be Mod 0 or Mod 2. Hard to tell. Not altogether uncommon.

Yeah, if they were mine, that would be different.

Interesting. i've been reading up a bit.. trying to get a rough idea of where they were from. The markings on the first gun are either Greek, or Russian. That would surely help with the history on that one.

Nickel plating is always cool...

I wonder about powder-coating it now ... :lol:

what it would look like .. (wonder if marking's would be much less defineable or un-changed !? )

Not something I would ever do to a working firearm though.

lookup Brownells.com

expensive BUT quality stuff usually ..

Why do I keep forgetting about parkerizing in general ? :rolleyes: .. been a long day :lol:

Hell I didn't even know about the "browned" ones banner :lol:

I've never parkerized just worked with blueing.

production dates/manufacturer = http://www.scott-duf...HowManyWhen.htm :)

Too much history .. If you get an functional one for your-self just clean it , and leave it be :cool:

Edit: ^ seriously dude did you even read it?

Get an appraisal prior to "restoring" them. May be worth more if "unmolested@.

Yeah cause being hacked to pieces doesn't take away any value.

The Greek Army Evzones (presidential) Guard still uses M1s, and it was used as a training rifle in the Greek army even in the late 1990s.

The U.S. Navy has also used the Garand, rechambered for the 7.62x51mm NATO round.

7.62x51mm NATO (.308 Winchester) (Used by the U.S. Navy and some commercial companies to modernize the M1 and increase performance)

M1E14 Mk 2 Mod 0

M1 Garand variant; rechambered in .30 T65/7.62x51mm NATO with press-in chamber insert

T35 Mk 2 Mod 2

M1 Garand variant; rechambered for .30 T65/7.62x51mm NATO

T36 N/A T20E2 variant; T20E2 rechambered for .30 T65/7.62x51mm NATO using T35 barrel and T25 magazine

• Like 1

DTP you rock!

The first production M1 was successfully proof fired, function fired, and fired for accuracy on 21 July 1937. Thus began manufacture of what was to become the greatest production effort in the long history of Springfield Armory.

A program for developing increased production capacity had been adopted in 1934, and by January of 1940 the Armory was producing 100 rifles per day. By January 1942 this number had risen to 1,103 per day. Production peaked in January 1944 with 122,001 M1s produced that month. This translated to 3,936 rifles per day or 164 rifles per hour[/b]

The surrender of Germany in May 1945 slowed production at Springfield. The surrender of Japan in September 1945 caused cancellation of M1 manufacture at Springfield. World War II era M1s manufactured by Springfield Armory may be identified by their serial numbers that ranged from 1 through 388xxxx. Production of the M1 rifle during the World War II era was the high point of weapons production at Springfield Armory. At no time prior to, or following, this period, had the Armory achieved this level of production. In total, Springfield produced 3,526,922 M1 rifles from 1932 through 1945.

So this is a mid-WWII era gun. Cool! Dating back as early as 1940 - 1945.

8022003544_ffdf3b9ac5_b.jpg

Winchester Repeating Arms Co.

The Winchester Repeating Arms Company of New Haven, Connecticut was the only other World War II era producer of M1 rifles. Winchester received an Educational Order on 4 April 1939 to produce 500 M1s. The first one hundred rifles, under that Order, were shipped on 27 December 1940. On 20 September 1939, Winchester received its first of many production contracts for additional rifles. Government records indicate Winchester delivered 513,880 M1 rifles between December 1940 and June 1945. The surrender of Germany in May 1945 resulted in termination of M1 rifle manufacture at Winchester as of 30 June 1945.

In addition to their name on the receiver heel, M1s manufactured by Winchester may be identified by serial number. Winchester's assigned serial numbers ranged from 100001 through 165500, 1200001 through 1357473, 2305850 through 2655849, and 1601000 through 1640000.Combined production for Springfield and Winchester during World War II was 4,040,802 rifles.

So assuming the serial number also applies to the guns manufacture order, we can also assume that this gun was within the same time frame.

This is also the gun with the Greek inscription on the bottom, and like Dat Lurka said the Greek Army used them as training rifles. So at some point I imagine this is where that gun came from. Cool history!

8022004650_1a17af8ba7_b.jpg

Edited by metalmonkey47

I was in ROTC for 4 years, I drilled with these damn things and the only thing that sucks worse than doing fancy drill and spinning one of those fucking heavy ass pieces of shit was getting hit by one or dropping one on your foot. I hate to be a party pooper but you could probably get in some serious shit by keeping those, they are technically still government property and if they"decommission" them from the ROTC unit the proper paperwork must be filled out and they must be returned to the government, trust me, sent off about 39 of these my senior year. As a side note, if you want to have some fun, try to make people put the mag in and see how many bust their fucking fingers!

If the weapon has been "de-milled",the government has no further interest in it.It is completely legal to own.Since they are demilled,it is impossible to lower their value any more.So do what you will with them.About 10 years ago,i passed on a "Tanker's Garand" for $700.00.Still kicking myself for that move.

Functioning Garands are legal to own. The Government surplussed thousands of functioning ones. To purchase, depends on the State.

However, nowhere in the post did MM say they were keeping them. They belong either to the Government or the School's ROTC program. He said they brought them home to "Clean Up" FOR the ROTC (JROTC? I think he did say High School).

In Boot Camp the guys that did squad drill used De-milled M1s. The Government clearly still owned those. They had no combat use, but for parade and marching drills they serve the purpose.