Good news. Bad news. And repeat.

flatcat19

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So a whole day has gone by, and I miss Joseph Palasky already.

I can't help but want to work on it. To get it running.

I've been running diagnostic scenarios in my head.

Following wiring diagrams.

Racking my brain, thinking of what it's going to take to fix my truck.

Good news...

I haven't heard from the Dr. today.

Him not texting me means that nothing has gone wrong.

It also means that it still sits.

Forever-Alone.jpg

So I scanned this thread, and just let me recap.

You were having problems cranking the truck. You replaces the starter, and the battery.

When you hooked up the battery, the wire from the starter to the alternator started to smoke.

You realized smoke is bad, disconnected the jump cables from the other vehicle.

You then towed the truck somewhere.

By the way, no fuseable links on a stock 521. Just wires, and six glass fuses.

This is what I would do.

Disconnect the wire between the starter and the alternator. Do this at the starter, and you will not have a hot wire disconnected by the alternator floating around. Unplug the small two wires from the alternator.

Does the truck crank and start? If no, fix that.

If you nave a good battery, in a 521, and drive in the daytime without lights, you can go a long time. Even at night, with the headlitghts on you can got from Spanaway WA to somewhere south of Olympia, towing a trainer with lights. Obviously, the battery will not be charging.

Now, for the alternator issue. With the wires still disconnected from the starter, and unplugged from the alternator, and the battery still hooked up, connect a test light to the positive battery post, (or the positive cable on the starter) and touch the other end of the test ligth to the frame of the alternator. The light should light. Then touch the positive post on the alternator. The light should NOT light. If the light lights up, disconnect the wire between the alternator to the starter, from the alternator. This is the wire that started to smoke. Again, touch the positive post on the alternator. The light should NOT light. If the light lights up, you have a bad alternator. The diodes in the alternator are shorted. Replace the alternator. If the light does not light up, again touch the frame of the alternator. The light should light up.

When you have good alternator, replace the wire between the alternator. Use a heavy gauge wire. # 8 or #10 if you have a stock 35 amp alternator. Make good crimped and soldered connections on this wire.

Did the front bumper get shoved up from being towed?

No. That was prior to ownership.

I think it was prior to my sister even owning it.

So I scanned this thread, and just let me recap.

You were having problems cranking the truck. You replaces the starter, and the battery.

When you hooked up the battery, the wire from the starter to the alternator started to smoke.

You realized smoke is bad, disconnected the jump cables from the other vehicle.

You then towed the truck somewhere.

By the way, no fuseable links on a stock 521. Just wires, and six glass fuses.

This is what I would do.

Disconnect the wire between the starter and the alternator. Do this at the starter, and you will not have a hot wire disconnected by the alternator floating around. Unplug the small two wires from the alternator.

Does the truck crank and start? If no, fix that.

If you nave a good battery, in a 521, and drive in the daytime without lights, you can go a long time. Even at night, with the headlitghts on you can got from Spanaway WA to somewhere south of Olympia, towing a trainer with lights. Obviously, the battery will not be charging.

Now, for the alternator issue. With the wires still disconnected from the starter, and unplugged from the alternator, and the battery still hooked up, connect a test light to the positive battery post, (or the positive cable on the starter) and touch the other end of the test ligth to the frame of the alternator. The light should light. Then touch the positive post on the alternator. The light should NOT light. If the light lights up, disconnect the wire between the alternator to the starter, from the alternator. This is the wire that started to smoke. Again, touch the positive post on the alternator. The light should NOT light. If the light lights up, you have a bad alternator. The diodes in the alternator are shorted. Replace the alternator. If the light does not light up, again touch the frame of the alternator. The light should light up.

When you have good alternator, replace the wire between the alternator. Use a heavy gauge wire. # 8 or #10 if you have a stock 35 amp alternator. Make good crimped and soldered connections on this wire.

Good stuff. And close.

Currently, truck has a starter from a '75 Z and an unknown new IR alternator. I'm guessing alt was from a Z24 or KA, mainly due to the size of it.

Replaced starter first. Hooked a good battery to truck and started. Flawlessly. Put old, dead battery back in and push started. Sputtered to a halt. Put new alternator in along with a belt. Jumped-smoke. New battery-smoke.

It was then that I thought I crossed GND and BATT wires on alt. Switched them back. In fear of smoking wires again, I DID NOT try to jump or put good battery on it. I did take my Power Probe and tried to jump 12V directly to the starter. Nothing! No click. No sparks. It was then that I decided to have it towed.

My GUESS is that taking those wires apart and taping them back while also adding a new battery to the mix will get it started.

That is assuming that I didn't burn either the starter or alternator. With my luck so far, I probably lit both of them up.

Not being near the truck sucks. I want to get to work.

I have no idea when I'll be able to get down to work on it.

This sucks!

Now...

As I think aboot it...

When we replaced the starter, and used Ed's battery to start the truck-It ran perfectly. For like 3 minutes.

When we push started it, it ran for like 20 seconds before failing.

Did the alternator die because it was trying to charge a dead battery?

What cooked the alternator that worked just 2 hours prior?

And what burnt the starter out?

Odd thought.

Just wanted that documented.

Thanks for more info.

There is a good possibility there is not much wrong with your truck.

The original alternator put out about 35 amps. The wire from the alternator is sized for a 35 amp load, temporarily. The unknown IR alternator could easily put out twice the current, especially into a dead battery. Cram 70 or more amps through a wire that was only supposed to have 35 amps, (barely) and it will get hot.

It is hard on alternators to charge a dead battery. Just because an alternator will put out 60 or 100 amps, does not mean it can do that for a long period of time.

Call your friend where the truck is, and ask if he can disconnect the battery, and then put a battery charger on the battery. Take a new thick 6 or 8 gauge wire to go from the alternator to the starter with you. Charging the battery, and replacing the wire might be all your truck needs.

Here is a picture of the new wire I added to my 521 to carry the extra current.

AlternatorChargeWire.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Selling cars faster than Izzo.

Timing was terrible.

It really was a good news/bad news and repeat situation.

When we got back from Portland, after spending a ton of money, we landed a pretty cool rental.

So to prevent complete financial devastation, something had to be done.

Needless to say, I'm pretty upset.

Wifey is right there with me.

Family came first here.

:sick:

You ain't kidding.

Justification:

It is not my truck. It never was.

I only bought it.

So wife and I are talking today about selling the truck.

Blah, blah, blah, no Datsun.

She says not to worry-we'll find another one.

She turns to me and say "Could you build a faster one than the truck?"

I reply with an "Oh fuck yeah."

She smiled at me as she turned and walked away.

• Like 1