a combo of long hair+looking at something far away

Interesting. I've been "breaking through" the past 2 years or so at the "big boys" shows with Funtana. Yes (and I'm 52) I am getting some of the "what is THAT doing here" looks. But I am having the time of My life. A lot of You know that I've returned to My "roots". But then again, arent the snow white haired guys doing that as well? Most of them never built Their own car or could afford one in Their youth. Also, they are VERY "plastic", which I use to describe Their attitude. Years ago before I got back into 620s, I was showing a 1956 Ford Panel that I built. I got those reactions even then from them. I remember very well attending a run in Lake Havasu City (the CAPITOL of "plastic") where many, many people have a "weekend getaway" home and a $50,000.00 + streetrod sitting in the garage that they "drive" to the event in. There was an AWESOME angle chopped 1934 Ford Sedan Delivery (My DREAM car) at the run that had angeled side door pillars and windows done. I asked the (yes, white haired GENTLEMAN!) how He did that and His very smug answer was "I dunno', I paid to have it done". I have only attended that run 2 more times since. Oh, and yes, My panel (although looking very cool, I think) wasn't very well received by the "plastic" crowd. Guy and I ran into this in San Bernardino at the Route 66 Rendevous 2 years ago. And We WON'T be back. Most people walked buy. More photographs were taken (on the website) of newer Corvettes than Our trucks. There were, however, a few people that stopped by to say "Wow!! I had one of those!!" or "Man, I never thought I'd ever see one of those again!". Those few comments made Our day. It's just the way that it is. Oh and yes...... I may become snow white haired someday, but I hope that I NEVER, EVER become "plastic" and rude.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, just wave to them as you pass em at the gas station.

And just think about this, do know what happens to the plastic fantastic if something goes wrong while cruising. Most of them get real grumpy because they don't know what to do and they just paid whatever ungodly amount of money to sit and twiddle there thumbs on the side of the road. Call AAA:D

But really, who needs the attitude?

There is a little car show every Wed. nite here @ the A&W in PortOrchard. One nite I talked Crazy Edd into rollin down there in our Dattos. His was done up in the Ratsun/Ratrod theme and I thot it would go over well. We rolled in and it was like we were invading there turf. I asked a couple of oldtimers leaning next to a Buick, "where are all the Japanese cars @?" He said, "Japan where they belong!" :eek: Not much love.

I have grown up with old muscle cars and big trucks and loved them. I also love the little imports as well. As of now all I own is Datsuns. Because I love them and due to the fact that its all I can afford.:lol: I have come to realize tho that the majority of car shows are not for us Ratsuners. Canby here I come!:fu:

I know the feeling, Moisabamf. Car shows and "club guys" are a mixed bag. I've had a lot of cars from '30s hot rods to '60s muscle. I've had the most fun with my 1200. Everyone's a critic. If I had a dollar for every yambag that dropped some half-assed compliment like "nice car, but thats not the correct hose clamp"... They usually spend the Sunday afternoon wandering around doling out their little wisdom-nuggets only to cut their day short so they can waddle out to an '87 Ford Tempo and rush off to work swing-shift at a gas station convenience store. Fuck 'em. Your ride is sweet. Way to represent. It can be hard to stay positive sometimes, but I have met a lot of cool people at shows. For me the most important thing is to see what other people have done and glean ideas. There are bunch of gifted and talented people out there. The best let their work speak for them. :thumbup:

Guest jaimesix
i rolled though a local car show at a chicken restaurant the other night in my b210. i swear these guys looked away like they just saw a person theyd'e rather not talk too! all a sudden there's somthing interesting about the blacktop or something.

That is exactly what I do when I see american muscle cars.!!!!!:D

Piece of junk cars!! inefficient, heavy, look like grandma going to the beautty parlor crap. Has it ever happened that a hearse of a muscle car has won any international race??? of any kind??? off road, track, ANY????:D

Who cares......:lol: muscle cars suck.

About your 1200, I think what happned is that your Datto is just stock looking. From the pictures you have those old boats are performance modified. I can understand kids at a school being impressed with the rumble the V8 makes. Those kids know nothing about performance, and they think performance is chromed parts ( which I hate, i HATE CHROME), corny apple candy colors and innefficient 4 miles per gallon rumbling engines.

Take any of those hearses to a roadtrack, to the canyons, anywhere.....those hearses have no chance.:lol:

Also, these kids evidently have a parent that is into that kind of waste, so those kids have been brainwashed into thinking that tanks with chrome and corny paint jobs are the way to go.:blink:

Most of those kids have been impressed by the shinyand corny paint jobs, and the amount of work those cars have, evidently done and managed by parents ( most kids do not have that kind of money )

No reason to feel bad. Had you modified your 1200 with suspension, engine and new paint , the result would had been another.

Make a plan, develop a path to modify your Datsun the way you want it to be, and stay away from corny styles. You have an awesome ride.

Jaime.__________________________________________________________

I'm waiting to roll into the classic car show/meet that they hold every saturday at one of the local malls to see how people react to my 510. Soon as I get back from Cali and get my muffler fixed, I'm crashing the party!

On the other hand, the meets I go to on wed and saturday nights, my car is well recieved. Everybody loves it and everywhere I go it gets looks and people ask me about it or tell me about how they used to own a Datsun of one sort or another.

It also seems that I'm rubbing off on some of my friends. After seeing my 510 my buddy wanted an older vehicle and we found him a 82 (maybe 83) ZXT. And my other friend (who has an Evo) wants a 510. Go figure.